Cabin Suggestion for family?

Hi folks,

Am looking at a D category cabin for myself and DH and our 3 and 6 yo girls. Do you think it will be sufficient? I'm not looking for a ton of space, but dont want to be stepping on each other each. Or should I just get a JS? Thoughts?

Another question! Thanks for your patience folks!

When parents drop their kids off at AO, how does all that work? What if something happens to the kids there, or the kids want their parents....how do they find us on the ship? Do they give us a pager or something? While I'm not new to cruising, I'm very new to this whole AO thing. Thanks for any tips!

Hi folks,

Am looking at a D category cabin for myself and DH and our 3 and 6 yo girls. Do you think it will be sufficient? I'm not looking for a ton of space, but dont want to be stepping on each other each. Or should I just get a JS? Thoughts?

Yes you could do that- or a junior suite or a family oceanview stateroom (which is an outside - window only cabin). That is also quite nice.

With children that young, a D cabin would be sufficient. We had no problem with that arrangement until our daughters were 12 and 10, and didn't want to share the smallish sofa bed anymore. Otherwise, it was just fine and not necessary to spend additional $$ on a JS or connecting cabins.

I also think a D is large enough with small children. Here's a tip: if you are sailing on a Voyager class ship and the stern facing D1's on deck 10 are available, book one of those. They are about 5 ft. longer than the regular D cabins.

A D is large enough with 2 small kids...but once they become adult-sized, it's way too tight! Don't forget tho, you'll only have a shower, so if the kids aren't used to showering, start now getting them used to it!

I think they will give you a pager for the younger child...and you can go to AO and check up on the kids, and see if they're ready to leave. Kids that young aren't allowed to check out on their own.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not much additional money to have two connecting D cabins. Granted, they could sail slightly cheaper as 3rd/4th passenger rate squeezed in one cabin, but full price gets you two rooms--and two bathrooms!

It is worth pricing out, because in the summer or other school holidays, the 3rd/4th passenger price is often almost the same as the price for passengers 1 and 2. So, it might cost almost the same to get two connecting balcony cabins as compared to one D quad cabin. Also worth looking into (on Voyager and Freedom class ships) is the last side facing balcony on deck 9, which connects to an inside.

However, if the 3rd/4th passenger rates are discounted deeply and it is significantly cheaper to get a D1 quad, then by all means, don't hesitate - it is fine for a family with two young children.

Just sailed Oasis in a D4 with our 3 year old son and 8 year old daughter. While space was tight when the sleeper sofa was out....it was very manageable for us. Sofa was plenty big for the 2 kids. We had the table removed from the room to provide more space during the day. Bathroom was not a problem as my kids are not at the age when they spend any amount of time in there....except to shower...which takes all of 5 minutes.

As far as Adventure Ocean....they will give you a phone for your 3 year old(Aquanauts) that you can also use to check on your 6 year old(Explorers). They called us one night when my 3 year old was crying...he was very tired and was trying to fall asleep....so we picked him up. I would call down to the Explorer's room to check on my 8 year old and ask her if she wanted to stay longer in the club or come roam the ship with us.

Would be happy to answer any other AO questions you might have as our children fall into the same age groups on the ship!

Archived