** $1,500 Deposit for Hospital Visit??? **

BC Todd

Ain't that the truth. Have a great B2B cruise! Very jealous here.

We will enjoy, thank you for your good wishes...

Now tomorrow I get to post the single digit dance. This is huge because when we booked this cruise last year, my countdown time was over 400 days!:eek:

Tomorrow when it is nine days it will be AWESOME!:):)

BC Todd: Thanks for your OP, and all the posters that added to last 3 pages. Post #50 says it all. Everyone on CC should read this great info. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for your kind words. I have learned much on CC and my holidays are better because of CC. If I had to list all the things I have learned this board would over flowing.

It just seems to me that so often we are distracted by small things in life and we lose sight of the big things.

I want everyone to enjoy their holidays as we will. Just ensure you look after the big issues first, then you can think about wearing flip flops to the MDR.

We all should have priorities.:)

We have military medical insurance as my husband is retired military. That is the only insurance that works like home where you do not have to pay upfront for many of the things but, you still do for some..

Thanks for posting that. We are retired military also, and I always mean to call Tricare and ask about coverage while traveling but never seem to get around to it. Good to know you've had good experience or know of good experience using military health insurance while traveling. We almost always purchase travel insurance, but in a few cases have not - like the last minute 3 day cruise next week where i totally spaced out purchasing. Not like me at all - and I can probably still do so. I generally purchase travel insurance within an hour of booking...and consider it part of the cost of my cruise, as well as the parking, petsitter, tips, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the post!

If you have travel insurance that is primary, do you still need to pay the hospital bill before you leave or would the insurance?

Thanks,

Maggie

Primary has nothing to do with paying provider upfront or the providebilling the Insurance - Primary means that the Primary Insurer pays their benefits without coordinating/sharing benefits with your Health Insurer, like secondary Policies would have to do. ken

Read my OP...It seems most hospitals still require thousands of dollars up front.

Not what I expected when I bought travel insurance, but live and learn...

Most/Many Policies include an upfront $5000 (or more) Hospital Admittance Guarantee to the Hospital if required for Admittance.

Several Policies, including CSA Policies, have their own out-of-Country Provider Network who will admit you and bill the insurance. ken

We had 2 medical issues on a trip to Australia including a 5 day stay in the hospital for my wife. The hospital knew that we had insurance but we still had to pay for it and file with the insurance company.

Can you imagine how a person from a foreign country would be treated in the US if they had medical issues?

DON

We had 2 medical issues on a trip to Australia including a 5 day stay in the hospital for my wife. The hospital knew that we had insurance but we still had to pay for it and file with the insurance company.

Can you imagine how a person from a foreign country would be treated in the US if they had medical issues?

DON

Works the same...

We didn't have to pay a deposit when DH had a heart attack on our cruise & was transported to Cayman Islands Hospital, but despite having both health insurance AND travel insurance, we were still responsible for paying the CI hospital bill before we left & he was transported to Miami via air ambulance. The hospital bill was over $5000. And we had to settle our S&S bill when we debarked the ship, which included infirmary charges around $4000. And the list goes on & on with what we had to pay for upfront (private flights for the kids from Cayman to Miami, stay in Miami 1 1/2 weeks, etc). I think having to pay upfront & file the claims later is pretty normal for out-of-country medical expenses.

I'm pleased to say the between both insurance companies, we were reimbursed for all of our expenses within a couple weeks of filing the claims. Two pieces of advice: Travel Insurance and an Emergency Credit Card. ;)

I have to ask if this happened on the Conquest 9/27/09 cruise, because a man who had had a heart attack was dropped off at Grand Cayman on that cruise. The Conquest made an emergency stop to let him off, when we were on our way to Montego Bay. We always wondered what the outcome was for him. I read your other post and am glad to hear that your DH is doing well now. That must have been quite a stressful ordeal for all concerned!

I have to ask if this happened on the Conquest 9/27/09 cruise, because a man who had had a heart attack was dropped off at Grand Cayman on that cruise. The Conquest made an emergency stop to let him off, when we were on our way to Montego Bay. We always wondered what the outcome was for him. I read your other post and am glad to hear that your DH is doing well now. That must have been quite a stressful ordeal for all concerned!

No, this happened to us almost 3 years ago (WOW, can't believe it's been that long)... December 2007 on the Liberty. We were a couple hours away from our scheduled stop in Grand Cayman when it happened, so the infirmary quickly treated him, saved his life with a $3000 "clot-buster" shot, and arranged for the ambulance to be waiting when we arrived in GC. They said it wa a good thing it didn't happen the following day, as we were docking in Jamaica. Not the best care there from what they said. Both the ship infirmary & Cayman Islands Hospital folks said that this happens ALL the time, very common apparently.

No, this happened to us almost 3 years ago (WOW, can't believe it's been that long)... December 2007 on the Liberty. We were a couple hours away from our scheduled stop in Grand Cayman when it happened, so the infirmary quickly treated him, saved his life with a $3000 "clot-buster" shot, and arranged for the ambulance to be waiting when we arrived in GC. They said it wa a good thing it didn't happen the following day, as we were docking in Jamaica. Not the best care there from what they said. Both the ship infirmary & Cayman Islands Hospital folks said that this happens ALL the time, very common apparently.

Well, I guess it does, since it happened to another man on our Conquest cruise on our way to Jamaica. I would like to know how the man on our cruise came out. I hope his outcome was as good as your DH's was.

DON

I had a friend visiting from Mexico about a year ago who had to go to the ER for something. We didn't have to pay anything upfront to get her treated and they treated her knowing she had no insurance. I started getting bills for her a few weeks later and had them transferred to her. I'm not sure if she paid it or not as I honestly forgot about it until now.

Oh, and for whoever posted that health care in Jamaica is not good, I had a friend who had to have emergency surgery in Jamaica (Ochos Rios) and he said he got great care there. I'm sure HC is better on other islands, but if you find yourself having a medical emergency in Jamaica I wouldn't be too worried. I know you didn't mean to imply that, you were just repeating what you were told, I just don't want anyone to panic and think they were getting sub-par treatment in Jamaica if they ever needed it in an emergency!

We didn't have to pay a deposit when DH had a heart attack on our cruise & was transported to Cayman Islands Hospital, but despite having both health insurance AND travel insurance, we were still responsible for paying the CI hospital bill before we left & he was transported to Miami via air ambulance. The hospital bill was over $5000. And we had to settle our S&S bill when we debarked the ship, which included infirmary charges around $4000. And the list goes on & on with what we had to pay for upfront (private flights for the kids from Cayman to Miami, stay in Miami 1 1/2 weeks, etc). I think having to pay upfront & file the claims later is pretty normal for out-of-country medical expenses.

I'm pleased to say the between both insurance companies, we were reimbursed for all of our expenses within a couple weeks of filing the claims. Two pieces of advice: Travel Insurance and an Emergency Credit Card. ;)

Anyone find it interesting that charges for the ship's infirmary were $4000 compared to $5000+ for a hospital? I assume it was first responder service to stabilize and get him off the ship. But $4000?

Anyone find it interesting that charges for the ship's infirmary were $4000 compared to $5000+ for a hospital? I assume it was first responder service to stabilize and get him off the ship. But $4000?

$3000 of that was the actual "clot-buster" shot alone... per my other post above. Then add all the other stuff, such as the ship doc, and the tests/meds/treatment, etc. The $5000-ish in GC was a full day of ER, diagnosis, tests, room(s), meds, treatment. We were there several hours while they decided exactly what the next step was, and with no cardiologist on the island that day, then had to arrange to be air ambulanced to Miami for surgery.

I had a friend visiting from Mexico about a year ago who had to go to the ER for something. We didn't have to pay anything upfront to get her treated and they treated her knowing she had no insurance. I started getting bills for her a few weeks later and had them transferred to her. I'm not sure if she paid it or not as I honestly forgot about it until now.

Oh, and for whoever posted that health care in Jamaica is not good, I had a friend who had to have emergency surgery in Jamaica (Ochos Rios) and he said he got great care there. I'm sure HC is better on other islands, but if you find yourself having a medical emergency in Jamaica I wouldn't be too worried. I know you didn't mean to imply that, you were just repeating what you were told, I just don't want anyone to panic and think they were getting sub-par treatment in Jamaica if they ever needed it in an emergency!

Keep an eye on your credit report the next few years and make sure they aren't trying to hold you responsible or, heaven forbid, put a lien on your house. With your address on file and the bills coming to you, they may try to come after you for payment. Had it happen to a friend and have also occasionally seen it in my job in mortgage lending where someone got hit for a room mate or friend who had used their address when seeking medical treatment. :mad: It's wrong, but it happens and at least in our area the hospital bill collectors are unscrupulous. Here recently our local hospital had a dying woman served court papers while in still in her hospital bed for failure to pay bills from earlier on in her extended stay.

Keep an eye on your credit report the next few years and make sure they aren't trying to hold you responsible or, heaven forbid, put a lien on your house. With your address on file and the bills coming to you, they may try to come after you for payment. Had it happen to a friend and have also occasionally seen it in my job in mortgage lending where someone got hit for a room mate or friend who had used their address when seeking medical treatment. :mad: It's wrong, but it happens and at least in our area the hospital bill collectors are unscrupulous. Here recently our local hospital had a dying woman served court papers while in still in her hospital bed for failure to pay bills from earlier on in her extended stay.

Really!? There's really no way they could connect me to it so that really doesn't bother me. The house belongs to my jerk-face abusive ex-husband's Mom and neither of them know where I am or what my name is now (thank you good lawyer and California spousal abuse protection laws!) and by law he can no longer seek me out for debt collected during our marriage (he signed papers). So... score! I kind of do hope they go after him! It's only a $500 bill which is nothing to him but will piss him off nicely. :)

Primary has nothing to do with paying provider upfront or the providebilling the Insurance - Primary means that the Primary Insurer pays their benefits without coordinating/sharing benefits with your Health Insurer, like secondary Policies would have to do. ken

Thanks Ken. All this time I thought that getting the primary insurance meant you didn't have to pay out of pocket. I guess I misread/misunderstood. I thought when it said you didn't have to deal with your regular insurance first, that it meant the travel insurance just paid it for you. But now I understand that I still have to pay it myself, and then the travel insurance pays me back. But with primary insurance that should be quicker since I don't have to submit to my insurance first.

I'm glad I read this thread, because it has made everything a lot clearer to me.

Maggie

Thanks Ken. All this time I thought that getting the primary insurance meant you didn't have to pay out of pocket. I guess I misread/misunderstood. I thought when it said you didn't have to deal with your regular insurance first, that it meant the travel insurance just paid it for you. But now I understand that I still have to pay it myself, and then the travel insurance pays me back. But with primary insurance that should be quicker since I don't have to submit to my insurance first.

I'm glad I read this thread, because it has made everything a lot clearer to me.

Maggie

...and, don't forget to look for Policies with upfront Hospital/Provider Admission Guarantee and to consider Policies (like CSA) that have their own Provider network where Providers will (generally) bill the insurance! ken

I had an accident on a catamaran in the BVI. Got my fingers caught up in the rigging. Tore my whole pinky finger just about off my right hand.

Two surgeons and 6 hours at the hospital.

We took out all our credit cards and hoped we had enough.

Total: $250. We nearly fainted with relief. Gotta love the British health system. Or at least the system in the British Virgin Islands.

Did have to pay AA a huge fee to emergency fly home to the states the next day.

This happened on the first day of vacation and I ended up having to have the finger amputated.

Luckily we had good health insurance which covers us when we travel.

...and, don't forget to look for Policies with upfront Hospital/Provider Admission Guarantee and to consider Policies (like CSA) that have their own Provider network where Providers will (generally) bill the insurance! ken

We have Travelex Travel Select. I found this in the text of the Certificate of Insurance:

"The Company will advance payment to a Hospital, up to the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if

needed to secure Your admission to a Hospital because of an Accidental Injury or Sickness."

Is this what you mean?

Thanks,

Maggie

We have Travelex Travel Select. I found this in the text of the Certificate of Insurance:

"The Company will advance payment to a Hospital, up to the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if

needed to secure Your admission to a Hospital because of an Accidental Injury or Sickness."

Is this what you mean?

Thanks,

Maggie

Our policy says the same thing. But some countries will not accept any insurance. You will have to pay upfront. This just happened to us in Nassau.Then you will have to submit it to the insurance when you get home.

I'm not 100% sure since I have never had to invoke it but some of the insurances that are primary say that if you call the emergency # they will handle it. There is also a company called Divers Alert Network I think it is and if you have their membership they will advance you up to $5,000 if you need it for medical expenses if you can prove you have travel insurance.

Our policy says the same thing. But some countries will not accept any insurance. You will have to pay upfront. This just happened to us in Nassau.Then you will have to submit it to the insurance when you get home.

With this coverage, the Insurance PAYS the Hospital the required admission advance upfront. ken

For what it's worth, here's what I determined for Trip Insurance Hospital & Physician Advances & Guarantees:

Carnival's Berkely Policy will advance up to $1000 to Hospital.

CSA will Guarantee up to $1000 to a network Physician.

TravelEx will Advance up to $5000 to Hospital.

TravelInsured will advance up to $???? to a Hospital (It looks like they guarantee up to the full amount of your Medical Coverage).

BCBS (FEP) Network Hospitals will Accept BCBS for payment; network Physicians will probably require payment.

ken

Archived