Time to eat???

When I tried, it wouldn't let me book anything after dinner for 2 hours... wasn't sure if there was a way to over-ride it....

I was able to somehow override this. I'll just mention it to the waiter as suggested. So excited- don't want to miss anything- and don't like to rush our favorite part----Dinner!

First, as a disclaimer, I have never cruised, as of yet, on an Oasis class ship...so "show reservations" is a new concept for me...

HOWEVER, here is the way I read this:

Normally, two hours is a fair estimation of a normal dinner window...and, of course, one can speed it up a little, maybe skip dessert if one is running short of time, etc. Sure, I guess you can be in and out in 45 minutes by rushing your waiter...might be a bit rude to tablemates, but I guess they'd forgive you if it's maybe a once a cruise thing...

But, here's the other end of the problem as I see it: The shows being "by reservation" with a stand-by line allowed in if seats are unclaimed 15 minutes before show time means that, to be safe, say one has a 6:00 pm dinner seating and an 8:00 pm showtime, one must be to the show venue at least by 7:45...but, to be really comfortable that they were not giving away my seat, I'd say by 7:40...Next, it's a BIG ship...the main showroom, for example, is on the other end of the ship, maybe on a different deck than your dinner seating...You will have to exit the dining room and, perhaps, fight a few crowds and blockages making your way to the showroom...maybe plan on 15 minutes walking time to get from one place to the other?...and that doesn't even account for the likely necessary bathroom stop...

So, really, you'd need to get up from the table at 7:25...That's now only a 1:25 window for dinner, not 2:00...Now, if you only allot yourself a one and a half hour difference, you are looking at a 55 minute dinner break...which, IMHO, is FAR TOO SHORT...

So, I'd say, if you've only got something less than a two hour difference, plan on a buffet dinner that night...or make a specialty restaurant reservation that fits in with your showtime...

For my arrangements, the shortest time I have (I have traditional 6:00 pm seating) is the "headliner" show at 8:30...all of my other shows are at 9:00 or 9:30...

I think that 2 hour minimum IS accurate...

We had all courses within the 45 min time frame. The waiter works a little harder by shortening the time between courses. Although my family of 4 had the table to ourselves i would think that due to the Oasis class ships having the show schedules as they do as opposed to the rest of the fleet that has an early and late show time: 1. the waiters are used to this and will have no problem/issue, 2. the tablemates would understand. Sure it could take 15 min to walk the length of the ship but as long as you are at the theatre within the 15 min before you will have no issue getting a seat. No reason to choose a specialty rest or buffet for a night which might cut it close unless that is what you would like to do.

You could sit at the table for 1.5 to 2 hrs if you like but if you need to be out faster for a show just tell the waiter when you sit down and they will have you out fast. One night the 4 of us were out in 45 min.

Deleted as I found the answer below :)

We had to speed through a couple of meals and postpone desserts for after the show. The lines for the theater shows start up well in advance of the show. If you have a seat you prefer, you'd best be in that line early. As showtime nears, seats become a premium.

You can try to hustle up your waiters, but they are struggling with a new ship and it can be tough to get them to speed up service.

The MDR is at one end of the ship; the Amber Theater is at the other. Hubby always has to make a pit stop. That eats up time too.

I would have prefered to blow off the meal in the MDR and grab a quick bite at the Dog House or Cafe Prominade, but the rest of our party look forward to eating in the elegant MDR.

We had to speed through a couple of meals and postpone desserts for after the show. The lines for the theater shows start up well in advance of the show. If you have a seat you prefer, you'd best be in that line early. As showtime nears, seats become a premium.

You can try to hustle up your waiters, but they are struggling with a new ship and it can be tough to get them to speed up service.

The MDR is at one end of the ship; the Amber Theater is at the other. Hubby always has to make a pit stop. That eats up time too.

I would have prefered to blow off the meal in the MDR and grab a quick bite at the Dog House or Cafe Prominade, but the rest of our party look forward to eating in the elegant MDR.

Hi HeavySurf, when you say you postponed desserts until after the show, did you go to the Windjammer to get them? (Serious dessert lover here) :)

Hi, Serious Dessert Lover. I am also afflicted with the same disorder.:D

What we four typically did was, after the shows, we'd go to the Prominade Cafe and grab some cupcakes from the neighboring Cupcake Cupboard. We'd split them in four peices because they are humongous. We'd also grab a couple of cookies or brownies from the Prom. Cafe. One time Butchy got a couple of slices of pizza from Sorrento's--a different type of "dessert."

Another treat for three of my family was the ice cream parlor on the Board Walk. The ice cream is made in house. They liked it. I did not inherit the ice cream lover's gene, so I did not participate.

Funnily enough, on Allure, we never once went to the Windjammer for dessert. We really didn't need to. There are so many options on this ship. Frankly, I think of the Windjammer last, if at all.

Hi, Serious Dessert Lover. I am also afflicted with the same disorder.:D

What we four typically did was, after the shows, we'd go to the Prominade Cafe and grab some cupcakes from the neighboring Cupcake Cupboard. We'd split them in four peices because they are humongous. We'd also grab a couple of cookies or brownies from the Prom. Cafe. One time Butchy got a couple of slices of pizza from Sorrento's--a different type of "dessert."

Another treat for three of my family was the ice cream parlor on the Board Walk. The ice cream is made in house. They liked it. I did not inherit the ice cream lover's gene, so I did not participate.

Funnily enough, on Allure, we never once went to the Windjammer for dessert. We really didn't need to. There are so many options on this ship. Frankly, I think of the Windjammer last, if at all.

Oh my, dare I say I'm more interested in the food?? I love cupcakes and I'm an avid baker, can't wait to compare them ...LOL

Looking forward to all of it!

Archived