Baths anyone other than Tortola Charters??

CruizinCupcake

We will going to Tortola for the first time in Feb. And after reading alot of post decided we wanted to go to The Baths. We contacted Tortola Charters and they advised that since the Dawn ws going to be in port they are not available. Is there another company that is as good or is this something we can do on our own?

Thanks,

Teresa

We're on the Dawn that arrives in Tortola on March 14 and we're doing the Virgin Gorda Baths Tour with Tortola Charters. You may want to try them again or maybe its just your date that they're not going. They were the only company that we found to do the same type trips offered by the ship, but an hour longer and at a better price.

It's easy enough to do on your own. We did it two weeks ago. We were in port from 7 to 3. Took the 9:00 ferry and since we're not beach people, we came back on the 11:30 ferry (though most people took the 12:30 back) and spent some time walking around Tortola. You'll need to check the times you'll be in port and then check the ferry schedule to see if it'll work out for you. Do a little search on this section for the Baths and there are several detailed descriptions on how to get there. We bought the round trip ferry tickets with the round trip taxis from Speedy's. However, we ended up paying for the taxi ride back down to catch the 11:30 ferry since there wasn't a Speedy taxi when we wanted to go back down.

• 3 weeks later...
It's easy enough to do on your own. We did it two weeks ago. We were in port from 7 to 3. Took the 9:00 ferry and since we're not beach people, we came back on the 11:30 ferry (though most people took the 12:30 back) and spent some time walking around Tortola. You'll need to check the times you'll be in port and then check the ferry schedule to see if it'll work out for you. Do a little search on this section for the Baths and there are several detailed descriptions on how to get there. We bought the round trip ferry tickets with the round trip taxis from Speedy's. However, we ended up paying for the taxi ride back down to catch the 11:30 ferry since there wasn't a Speedy taxi when we wanted to go back down.

we are thinking of doing this as well, do you know the time difference in Tortola to ship time, looking at the ferry service the first ferry is at 9:00 and we arrive at 7:00 - we also leave at 3:30 and it looks like the ferry schedule may not work with our timing :(

• 3 weeks later...

We were there on Celeb Mercury in late December. The Baths were closed by the park service (all ship's excursions to Baths were cancelled). Prior posts on this board had recommended Egbert -- I found him, wearing a white hat just outside the port fence, and he took us and a few other families to a very nice beach and snorkling instead of the Baths. He will go to the Baths if they are open. Nice guy -- reasonable prices -- beware of his post-snorkle punch !

we are thinking of doing this as well, do you know the time difference in Tortola to ship time, looking at the ferry service the first ferry is at 9:00 and we arrive at 7:00 - we also leave at 3:30 and it looks like the ferry schedule may not work with our timing :(

We were on the Dawn in December and went to the baths. We took Speedy's ferry and it was very easy. Once the ship left port in Miami, the captain had everyone change their clocks and watches to island time. I was also concerned about the time difference, but turned out I nothing at all to worry about!!

:)

We were on the Dawn in December and went to the baths. We took Speedy's ferry and it was very easy. Once the ship left port in Miami, the captain had everyone change their clocks and watches to island time. I was also concerned about the time difference, but turned out I nothing at all to worry about!!

:)

Thanks - we'll be there in just two weeks, I am so excited!

I have infor and times for both means of transport to the Baths, but I am leaning to Speedys because I do not want to swim to the shore. Any thoughts or insights to both. There will only be 2 ships in port the day we are there.

Thanks

Marcia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have you checked the rates of the excursions directly through the cruise line? Usually we always book outside the cruise line but when I compared them to the others for Tortolla they were actually cheaper.

I know you ended up canceling but I am wondering if you had booked as a charter. DS paid $55 plus $3 entrance to the Baths and I was quoted $55 for JVD. Cruise line was charging $79 for each of these.

Thanks for replying. I have asked them if they can do a tour to the Baths on that day (april 11th) but they haven't got back to me yet.

Also waiting for Speedys ferry to get back to me. Anyone had a tour with them?

we did speedy's in Nov to the Baths and they were very efficient. just be sure you follow the schedules and make sure you get on the last ferry back on time.......don't want to get stuck:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
So, (and not to sound stupid), I can take Speedy's myself for $30 RT or Tortola Charters for $55/pp or the cruiseline for $69/pp..... right?

Yes, you can do Speedy's for yourself easily and far less expensively than using the cruiseline excursion. That's what we did in January. 10 minute walk (maybe) to the ferry pier. $37 ticket per person (approx), which is round trip and includes the taxi on Virgin Gorda (specify you want the taxi service - you need it to get to the Baths), take the 9:00 ferry going to Virgin Gorda, and the 1:00 coming back, then a short stroll back to the ship. Your fellow cruise passengers on the cruiseline excursion will pay a bunch more for the same experience, plus maybe an included drink.

We're on the Dawn that arrives in Tortola on March 14 and we're doing the Virgin Gorda Baths Tour with Tortola Charters. You may want to try them again or maybe its just your date that they're not going. They were the only company that we found to do the same type trips offered by the ship, but an hour longer and at a better price.

We are (were) booked to do this same tour. I just got an email today that they have cancelled it because there are only 6 of us who booked this tour. There are three in my party so I assume you are the other three. I am SO sad about this :(

I am going to try and figure out how else to get there that is as uncrowded as this tour had promised to be.

• 2 months later...

We just returned from our Freedom cruise and used Patouche while in Tortola. We had a group of 13, including two women in their late 70's and my physically challenged sister. The seas were rough the day we were there and all other excursions had cancelled. (the ferry was still running) Joe told us we would be able to make it just fine, and we did...although it was a bit rough at times! Joe told us the history of the islands as we sailed towards the Baths, and once there he set us all up with snorkel gear to swim in to the beach. He had a "first mate" with him that day and he swam in with us, and Joe repositioned the catamaran and met us at the beach we exited on from walking through the caves.

IMG_6260.JPG

A quick swim back to the catamaran and from there he took us to Cooper Island to snorkel as it was much calmer. (Along the way he handed out menus from Cooper Island Beach Club and we ordered our lunch so that it would be ready when we arrived.) My 49 year old sister is a stroke survivor and loves to snorkel, and Joe was extremely patient while we figured out how to get her off the boat the safest way, as well as back on. Snorkeling was a great success and after an hour or so we make the short sail to the Beach Club for lunch.

We took the dingy into the pier.

IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6367.JPG

Lunch was delicious! Our group tried a bit of everything they offered and no one was disappointed. All too soon we had to board the dingy and head back. A great day for us all and one I look forward to doing again!

IMG_6392.JPG

We did the full day, and ended up chartering the boat for the 13 of us. It was an expensive excursion, but we kept excursions low in the other ports and it was worth every penny....and then some!!!! The highlight of our cruise! Drop them an e-mail with any questions. Nicolle is great about responding, and trust me, I had a lot of questions due to the ages and physical abilities in our group.

• 1 month later...

Patouche Charters no-showed for our prepaid excursion... just FYI. :( Thankfully, we ended up being able to squeeze onto a Tortola Charters excursion that was leaving with some fellow cruisers, they didn't mind adding us on.

• 3 weeks later...
Patouche Charters no-showed for our prepaid excursion... just FYI. :( Thankfully, we ended up being able to squeeze onto a Tortola Charters excursion that was leaving with some fellow cruisers, they didn't mind adding us on.

Wow. Did you ever get an explanation? Surely it had to be a pretty serious issue (death, illness) for a company to no-show.

Just wondered....

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...
I am wondering about the same thing since they do not post any of their prices and also wondering if we can do the half day if we would have time to do jost van dyke in the afternoon.

Just drop them an e-mail and list your questions. Nicolle is good about answering in a timely manner, unless they are out for a few days on a charter!

Archived