With upgrading from VH to SS

LittleMissSqueaker

We are off on zuidy on 22 Jan. We can move from a verandah to ss verhandah for 900 usd for cabin.

We have a little boy who is 14 month so the extra room sounds good. Has anyone stayed in a Ss and would you suggest it's worth it?

Do you get many extra services or is that only for the suites?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards from Oz!

Emma

The only extra service you get is a "telephone concierge", which kinda like an "enhanced front desk". The primary advantage of an SS is the 50% extra space. Some SS under the Lido pool deck area suffer from noise of chairs being dragged around occasionally.

While the SS doesn't have the benefits of the deluxe verandah's, it does add a fair bit of real estate,. They are much roomier than the regular verandah. I may have missed it, but how long is your cruise?

That will say if the additonal money is worth it or not, also depends upon where you are going as to pricing for the SS's. It does sound like a deal, but I don't know if the sale is that great. Have a good cruise no matter which room you take :)

Hi Emma, As Kazu has stated, there is more real estate and is worth the money for our 10-day cruise. We've stayed in an SS, but made sure we were towards the aft of the ship, over the Lido area which is carpeted. We heard nothing.

A another nice thing, is that if you can get a cabin near mid ship, it's just one flight up to the Lido.

Decisions, decisions! The cruise is the 10 day sun farer....so looking forward to it, just have to work out whether to spend more before we leave!!!

I really appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts and advice.

It's a big holiday for us from Australia so we want it to be the time to remember!

Emma

Decisions, decisions! The cruise is the 10 day sun farer....so looking forward to it, just have to work out whether to spend more before we leave!!!

I really appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts and advice.

It's a big holiday for us from Australia so we want it to be the time to remember!

Emma

We were in a SY for our first cruise which is the same size as the SS and same perks. We did not find it to be a necessity EXCEPT I would say in your case I think the extra space would make a big difference because of your 14 mo. We are going to be facing the same decision next year when we book our Canada/NE cruise because IF our 11 yo comes with us the pullout bed in the VD rooms which we would normally book blocks the verandah door when the sofa bed is opened. I haven't traveled with a little one so I am not sure if you would normally use a pack n play but the SS would have more room for some type of sleeping set up. Also it was quite easy to order room service in the larger room. We did that twice because my husband didn't want to dress up for formal night. In the verandah rooms there really isn't enough room in my opinion to comfortably eat a dinner which you might want to do with a toddler if he is napping or tired at dinnertime.

diane

I say go for it! We got SY cabins for the family. Son had a 4 year old and an almost one. Daughter had a one year old. The little ones were in pack and plays provided by HAL and we put them in the hall by the bathroom and closed the curtain when they took a nap.

We had three rooms and used the balcony to go back and forth between rooms with a baby monitor on for the babies.

Hmm, it sounds so good, maybe just have to fork out the dough and do it. I suppose I should remember the aud is good compared to the usd at the mo too....maybe a sign to do it! I guess I may be get an official upsell offer but this will a not come until 2 weeks prior to cruise, hey?

At the end of the day, I know this will be an awesome cruise with amazing ports and delicious food.

Has anyone been on the big princess ships and if so, how would the size of their balconies compare to a verandah? That would be a good comparison for us.

Thanks again for the amazing people who take time to reply. I try where I can to a reply but have limited cruise experience, especially living in Oz!

Emma

The perks with SS are minimal. Concierge phone service, which we did not use. But the extra space is VERY nice, and we enjoyed our spacious cabin very much. We were on deck 8, directly under the Lido (Zuiderdam). We could hear the noise of people walking heavily above us. We were upgraded to this cabin, but in the future I would not book a room on deck 8 again. I much prefer to be a little lower on the ship--much more rocking and rolling up there. But I will definitely book an SS class cabin next time. We're spoiled now...

The perks with SS are minimal. Concierge phone service, which we did not use. But the extra space is VERY nice, and we enjoyed our spacious cabin very much. We were on deck 8, directly under the Lido (Zuiderdam). We could hear the noise of people walking heavily above us. We were upgraded to this cabin, but in the future I would not book a room on deck 8 again. I much prefer to be a little lower on the ship--much more rocking and rolling up there. But I will definitely book an SS class cabin next time. We're spoiled now...

That's great advice. Thanks so much.:)

Archived