osso buco

jackdiamond

It will be featured on the last night of our Christmas cruise on the Equinox in Blu. I do not know about the main dining room.

Best I ever had in my whole life was on the Oceania Regatta - none have compared after theirs!

Route: To do an Osso Buco correctly you need white wine, chicken stock, finely diced veggys (Carrots, Celery & Onion), diced tomatoes, browned veal shanks and then the SECRET TO SUCCESS...ta-da...gremalota (parsley, garlic & lemo rind)...then cooked in a covered dutch oven for 2 hours. It is one of our once a month dishes at our house.

Before I order in AQ I'm going to ask how it is prepared.

I had the Osso Bucco twice on the Eclipse TA In November. The first time it was tough and not very tasty, the second time it was very good.

I think celebrity needs to work on their consisitency. Overall, the food was very good in all venues.

The fries are good if you can get them fresh, sometimes they let them sit too long. The hot dogs were very good, but there was a problem with the buns falling apart.

The eggs benedict were not as good as on other ships - the sauce was too bland. On Solstice and Equinox, they were some of the best I have ever had.

Route: To do an Osso Buco correctly you need white wine, chicken stock, finely diced veggys (Carrots, Celery & Onion), diced tomatoes, browned veal shanks and then the SECRET TO SUCCESS...ta-da...gremalota (parsley, garlic & lemo rind)...then cooked in a covered dutch oven for 2 hours. It is one of our once a month dishes at our house.

Some thing else you can add as a secret ingrediant is a little bit of anchovie in with the gremolata. I do not cook the veal with the gremolata. I put it on top of the shank right before service with a piece of paoched bone marrow.

garardo

Garado:

I sometimes do what you do but I find adding the gremolata about 5 minutes before completion in the broth adds flavor to all the juices. The key to using veal shanks in this peasant dish is the marrow from the bones.

Instead of using mashed potatoes or rice we love Pappardelle noodles...A wide noodle that aborbs.

I bet you that yours and my Osso Buco would be the "hit" on Blu:)

Mangia

Garado:

Instead of using mashed potatoes or rice we love Pappardelle noodles...A wide noodle that aborbs.

I bet you that yours and my Osso Buco would be the "hit" on Blu:)

Mangia

OK, now that you mentioned papardelle noodles,,my favorite. On the Equinox in November they served a dish with them and funghi mushrooms in a creamy type of sauce. Anybody have a clue how to make this dish????

My mouth has been watering since I'm back.

It's a "hit or miss" dish with Celebrity. Sometimes very tough...other times, very tender.

Have you had it in Blu? It will probably be available on the last night of our Christmas cruise; and, my thought is to so advise our waiter the night before, which will be Christmas night.

Some thing else you can add as a secret ingrediant is a little bit of anchovie in with the gremolata. I do not cook the veal with the gremolata. I put it on top of the shank right before service with a piece of paoched bone marrow.

garardo

I make it fairly often as it is one of my wife's favorites. My not so secret ingredient is anchovy paste. I stir some in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Gremolta always goes on top when it's served

Nikel:

I make a version of this recipe...in a saucepan I melt some butter and then put in chopped mushrooms (baby bellas, white...whatever). After they start sweating (4-5 minutes) I add whipping cream and grated parmesan cheese (the amount is however thick you want your sauce), a touch of nutmeg, salt to taste, then add "your favorite" pasta in the saucepan, mix, and voila!!

I also use the same sauce to a broccoli fettucini dish. Throw broccoli florets in the boiling pasta (5 minutes before pasta is done...al dente). Dump pasta and broccoli in cream sauce and you have your veggies and starch in one dish.

Now my mouth is watering:)!!

Nikel:

I make a version of this recipe...in a saucepan I melt some butter and then put in chopped mushrooms (baby bellas, white...whatever). After they start sweating (4-5 minutes) I add whipping cream and grated parmesan cheese (the amount is however thick you want your sauce), a touch of nutmeg, salt to taste, then add "your favorite" pasta in the saucepan, mix, and voila!!

I also use the same sauce to a broccoli fettucini dish. Throw broccoli florets in the boiling pasta (5 minutes before pasta is done...al dente). Dump pasta and broccoli in cream sauce and you have your veggies and starch in one dish.

Now my mouth is watering:)!!

So is mine; and,I cannot figure how to transfer this too my favorites.

My recipe is very similar to yours. I learned to make Osso Buco at a cooking school in Italy, and it is my husband's favourite dish, hands down. We put the gremolata on top of the Osso Buco just before serving.

We usually serve osso buco with risotto milanese, or sometimes orzo made with cream, parmesan, and finely grated lemon rind, finely minced garlic and finely chopped parsley (to mirror the gremolata). I serve roasted spinach-stuffed campari tomatoes on the side.

Now I'll have to go get the ingredients and make some!

We have had it on Celebrity, and while good, it is never tender enough, and the flavours aren't complex enough. To my taste, it doesn't feel as if it has been simmered long enough.

As an aside, what wine do all you Osso Buco connoisseurs serve as an accompaniment? I've tried nebbiolo, chianti classico, nobile de montipulciano, barolo and lots of others...still looking for the perfect wine to go with Osso Buco.

Elena:

Great post:). Our favorite instead of risotto is pappardella pasta...a great absorber of sauce. Also, I note you seem to like grated lemon rind. I use it all the time when appropriate. Tonight, I'm cooking Pappardella with Mushrooms, Parm. Reg. Italian parsley and shrimp...and of course a touch of lemon juice and rind.

Since my wife and I are not real wine freaks (Chard, Pinot Grig) we do prefer a nice red wine with our OB (Cab, Pinot Noir). But to be honest, I love a cold bottle of Bud:p with my OB.

You mentioned a Barolo wine. I have a recipe for a Beef Braised in Barolo BUT I can't find Barolo wine. Someone says that Trader Joes has it but no TJ near hear. Oh well, maybe they will have in Blu when travel in Jan.

Regards

Elena:

Great post:). Our favorite instead of risotto is pappardella pasta...a great absorber of sauce. Also, I note you seem to like grated lemon rind. I use it all the time when appropriate. Tonight, I'm cooking Pappardella with Mushrooms, Parm. Reg. Italian parsley and shrimp...and of course a touch of lemon juice and rind.

Since my wife and I are not real wine freaks (Chard, Pinot Grig) we do prefer a nice red wine with our OB (Cab, Pinot Noir). But to be honest, I love a cold bottle of Bud:p with my OB.

You mentioned a Barolo wine. I have a recipe for a Beef Braised in Barolo BUT I can't find Barolo wine. Someone says that Trader Joes has it but no TJ near hear. Oh well, maybe they will have in Blu when travel in Jan.

Regards

Thank you :). I didn't know pappardelle was good for soaking up sauce...I've never actually used that particular type of pasta. I'll have to give it a try. The mushroom sauce with shirmp dish sounds great. I'll have to make that to go with the pappardelle.

And I DO love finely shaved lemon rind (love my microplane from Lee Valley Tools). I use it a lot--as you say--when ever appropriate.

As far as finding a barolo here in Vancouver, I usually go to the largest liquor store near Little Italy and can find what I need there, in addition to my Vin Santo (to go with my cantucci) :).

I think I noticed on another thread that you are sailing in AQ on the Eclipse on January 15th. So are we :D. If I got that right, be sure to join our Roll Call. We can talk recipes at the Connections Party!

Archived