? for platimun guests @ roll calls

Manatee Mom

Any ideas to those experienced with the boards, what it means when a roll call barely has anyone on it? We sail in 2 weeks and our board is so quiet. Does this mean we will have alot of 1st time sailers? Anyone ever have this before? Just curious.......

Any ideas to those experienced with the boards, what it means when a roll call barely has anyone on it? We sail in 2 weeks and our board is so quiet. Does this mean we will have alot of 1st time sailers? Anyone ever have this before? Just curious.......

Yes I have seen that .. remember only 1% or so of cruisers use CC.. maybe the time of year you never know..

Carnival always has a very large percentage of new cruisers .. many of whom love cruising and move on to other cruiselines. A few stay because of convenience, price whatever.

Carnival does not sponsor meet and greets the way RCL does, where they have a organized party, all you have to do is show up. This also cuts down on people wanting to meet to me.

short cruises, even less response. I have a Ecstasy roll call where I posted Nov 19th? and no one has posted since. Its in January so close enough, if there was any interest, people would be posting

Carnival always has a very large percentage of new cruisers .. many of whom love cruising and move on to other cruiselines. A few stay because of convenience, price whatever.

Carnival does not sponsor meet and greets the way RCL does, where they have a organized party, all you have to do is show up. This also cuts down on people wanting to meet to me.

short cruises, even less response. I have a Ecstasy roll call where I posted Nov 19th? and no one has posted since. Its in January so close enough, if there was any interest, people would be posting

Actually, Carnival's retention is amazing... 67% of folks who cruise on Carnival ships sail with Carnival again... a fairly remarkable stat...

As for the roll call issue, a lot of Cruise Critic members don't check the roll calls. I'd bet that if you ran around the ship wearing a Cruise Critic t-shirt plenty of folks would stop you and say that they're members, too...

:)

Actually, Carnival's retention is amazing... 67% of folks who cruise on Carnival ships sail with Carnival again... a fairly remarkable stat...

As for the roll call issue, a lot of Cruise Critic members don't check the roll calls. I'd bet that if you ran around the ship wearing a Cruise Critic t-shirt plenty of folks would stop you and say that they're members, too...

67% may cruise Carnival again .. that doesnt surprise me, good cruise, good prices, why wouldnt they.

But the number of repeat cruisers on ships Iv been on, there were not 67% repeat cruisers invited to the past guest partys, quite a lower percentage on any sailing Iv been on. Iv always been astounded by the number of brand new cruisers on each of my Carnival cruises.

I forgot to bring my CC shirts on Crazies, but I did have my pouch. .. bringing one on Triumph this month

And some of us would be embarrassed to mention that we are cruise critic members. I base that opinion on my last cruise where CC members acted like they owned the hotel as well as the ship.

Drunk,loud and obnoxious :rolleyes:

And some of us would be embarrassed to mention that we are cruise critic members. I base that opinion on my last cruise where CC members acted like they owned the hotel as well as the ship.

I would venture to say that there are drunk, loud and obnoxious folks in every group... church groups included.

Being a member of any group doesn't make you immune from being a twit. Look at the remarkably rude posts from many supposed Cruise Critic members on John Heald's blog... For that matter, read 30 posts from any thread on this forum on any day and I'd venture that you'll find the same traits...

I wasn't wearing a CC shirt, but on our last cruise when I went to the aft bar for our roll call meet there was a woman who looked like she was looking for others. I asked her if she was there for the roll call and she didn't know anything about it - but she knew Cruise Critic and was happy to join us for a little while.

Some cruises have very active roll calls and some fall apart and nobody shows up for the meet and greet.

Had one about a year ago where we thought we had an active one and nobody showed up for the meet and greet. Happened to meet one girl at the piano bar and guessed who she was and struck up a conversation and saw her several times the rest of the cruise.

We have had others where we still talk on fb or email or on the boards.

Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Some cruises have very active roll calls and some fall apart and nobody shows up for the meet and greet.

Had one about a year ago where we thought we had an active one and nobody showed up for the meet and greet. Happened to meet one girl at the piano bar and guessed who she was and struck up a conversation and saw her several times the rest of the cruise.

We have had others where we still talk on fb or email or on the boards.

Just the luck of the draw I guess.

My last two cruises, we had excellent Roll Calls, and I've met wonderful friends (our last thread had over 2500 posts before the cruise, and some of us are STILL posting on the thread!:D).

For my April 2011 cruise, we've had very little participation. Hey, I could handle Loud, Drunk and Obnoxious, it people would only POST!!

Yes, I guess it's just the luck of the draw...and maybe the chemistry of the group.:)

I wore a cruise critic tee shirt to tea one time- (thats all I would do it for)

I can not tell you the amount of old biddies that came to me to tell me all their complaints--LOL I will never wear it on the ship again.

I can not tell you the amount of old biddies that came to me to tell me all their complaints--LOL I will never wear it on the ship again.

You should have asked them to put them in writing and give it to you and than toss it. Make them feel better and keep them quiet.

LOL - ran into the same problem with the lanyards. Kept having people come up to me and rant about what was wrong and how much better Royal is. For some reason it's always Royal that's better. I almost never hear them complain and then say I should sail HAL, or Princess or Celebrity even.

I would venture to say that there are drunk, loud and obnoxious folks in every group... church groups included.

Being a member of any group doesn't make you immune from being a twit. Look at the remarkably rude posts from many supposed Cruise Critic members on John Heald's blog... For that matter, read 30 posts from any thread on this forum on any day and I'd venture that you'll find the same traits...

Mach,Ive sailed on cruises with your CC groups in the past.

Not as a member of a role call, but as an avid reader and follower of CC .

And I cruise enough to know and see the difference between the normal excited type Cruise Critic member or any group for that matter ,that enjoys a DOD while cutting up and enjoying their cruise.

This CC group was way overboard and definitely thought that being a member of CC earned them clout.

Didn't mind demanding things ,cutting lines or just being overly obnoxious.

This group of CC'ers would have embarrassed even you.

I'm not saying all CC members are like that Mach, just that the bad apples stand out more .

However the bad apples are giving CC a reputation that cruise lines are starting to notice.

But your right about Johns Blog, one of the reasons I just read it from time to time.

I think Ole John's just about to close the lid on that chapter of posters ;)

I'm glad "Big Ed" doesn't make the comments on Cruise Critic that he makes on Johns blog :rolleyes:.

Agree...

I never mention the fact I'm a Cruise Critic member and will not do so in the future. The behavior of the ones who post on Johns blog alone set that in stone for me.

Agree...

I never mention the fact I'm a Cruise Critic member and will not do so in the future. The behavior of the ones who post on Johns blog alone set that in stone for me.

I've done the same. I used to mention CC all the time, but with the reputation CC has gotten with others in the cruise community here recently, I don't talk about it anymore. Sad, it wasn't always like that here.:(

I have been on some that were wild and crazy, others that were totally dead and many in between. No rhyme or reason to it, just chance it seems. Generally the short cruises have had smaller roll calls. Not sure why, maybe because folks don't feel like doing a meet and greet on a short cruise. :confused:

Our Liberty roll call from over a year ago is still going strong though! Big shout out to the Liberty Lovers! :D:D

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's about our 7th holiday sailing, and this was the smallest roll call. My DH is a little worried about it. I think it might be a nice change. I myself usually go to the M&G only for a little bit. I find the roll calls are good to find other families to go on private shore tours with.

Our last two sailings had a very active roll call and almost became a chat line - it was a blast. Me met up and I have remained hard and fast friends with many of them. It is hit or miss with some roll calls, I am very out going and try to get a roll call moving, sometimes it works and other times not. Like others, as much as I am active on CC I will not admit it on the ship as sometimes those who proceed us give us a bad rap. I too have seen some just about take over every activity and have something to say about every little thing that goes wrong. We have our place and I found mine on this board not on board the ship.

I have found that roll calls on cruises under seven days usually have very few posters. I post on other boards also and have learned a lot. I have asked questions here and have waited for replies. It doesn’t happen too often but I have received some bad information from some posters. If I think it is really important I’ll just call Carnival. Just because someone wears a Cruise Critic t-shirt doesn’t mean they are a jerk. It also doesn’t mean Cruise Critic supports the action of someone wearing one of their t-shirts. A jerk is a jerk no matter what they wear and sometimes on cruises, don’t wear.

The roll call for our Thanksgiving cruise was very few. Just a few newbys with only a few posts showed up. On the cruise, itself, I saw tons of blue (first time cruiser) S&S cards.

However, on our Magic Transatlantic cruise, we have had an active (really active) roll call since last summer and we aren't sailing until next October!!

The largest roll call I have ever been on was for our Inaugural Bahamas Cruise on the Conquest. Our M&G was so large, we had to have a lounge to hold everyone. We even had the CD and first night's entertainer join us.

I guess it just depends on the cruise.

Archived