Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

I am sorry to correct you but the ferry does indeed take passengers by foot and the sailing time is 1 hour and 45 minutes.

As you said the most easy way is to take either a RE train or ICE train (the same to Hamburg) and get off at Nykøbing F. from here there is a bus with number 740.

Take a train from Copenhagen departing at lets say 08:13, get off in Nykøbing F at 10:03 and get bus number 740 at 10:10 this bus will be at Gedser Ferry station at 10:46 and the ferry departs at 11:00 so plenty of time to get to the ferry.

The ferry departs from Gedser at 05, 07, 09, 11 and so on every second hour.

Hi, thanks for the correction, it was a typo - missed out the '1 hour'. Sorry if I was misunderstood, I know the ferry takes foot passengers as I use it frequently to visit friends in Denmark. I simply meant that the powers-that-be, especially on the German side, don't consider us very much in the way of public transport once we get off the ferry. Until the introduction of the special bus to Rostock CBD the buses did not coincide with the ferry times and the train station is a long walk. The buses to Warnemuende via Lutten Klein still do not connect. Even when the ferry is on time you just miss the bus and have a long wait for the next

Anni :).

Hi Ellen,

I just hate having to pour cold water on your ideas once more but am afraid I must.

Wöbbelin is the site of a small concentration camp south of Schwerin but there is very little to see. Memorial stones and boards explaining what was where etc. There is a small section of the village museum devoted to the camp but same old story, closed on Monday. It is also impossible to get to except by car. There is no bus service from either Schwerin or Ludwigslust (nearest train stations). Please see my post "WWll in Rostock Area", this thread, Jan.5th for more details.

If you are really set on visiting a concentration camp or similar the next nearest is Sachsenhausen, in the town of Oranienburg near Berlin.

http://www.museumsportal-berlin.de/en/museums/museum-details/gedenkstaette-und-museum-sachsenhausen-1.html

The RE trains from Rostock stop at Oranienburg and the camp is about a 20 min walk from the station. It is open on Mondays until 6pm. However, the train time tables being as they are it would be not be possible to visit any castles as well in the time available, maybe you could sqeeze in a quick look at Rostock or a stroll around Warnemünde. I will be happy to provide more detailed train times if required.

Tschuss, :) Anni.

Mein Freund Anni,

I didn't really want to go to a prison or a concentration camp, that was for my husband! Too bad, it's castles and Schwerin for us. Coudn't be happier!!!

You have been so helpful, so much good information. If you ever need help with Philadelphia just send me an email please let me know. I still haven't figured out how to subscribed to your thread on Cruise Critic.

Dankbar,

Ellen

Mein Freund Anni,

I didn't really want to go to a prison or a concentration camp, that was for my husband! Too bad, it's castles and Schwerin for us. Coudn't be happier!!!

You have been so helpful, so much good information. If you ever need help with Philadelphia just send me an email please let me know. I still haven't figured out how to subscribed to your thread on Cruise Critic.

Dankbar,

Ellen

Moin, so glad you have decided on Schwerin, if you need any more info please ask.

To access all the posts written by anyone just hit their name at the top of any post, then press 'Find all posts by.....' in the drop-down menu. All posts written by that person on all threads appear in date order with the title.

Thanks for the offer of help re Philadelphia. I have been there once with a cargo ship. We were berthed in Camden/Gloucester and I had one day in the city. Went to all the historical places and the covered market where the Amish sell their scrumptious produce. Loved it! Also have friends in Lewisburg, he teaches at the Uni there and they spent one year in Rostock on an exchange. I am planning a visit late this year or early next.

Tschuss, bis bald,

Anni :)

Edited by rostocker

Hi Ed,

Getting to Berlin independently has been covered in the thread 'Walking tours in Berlin' but here are answers to your more specific questions.

In Warnemuende the ships dock literally alongside the railway station, 5 min walk from the gate to the platforms.

The ticket machines all have English screens and sometimes there is someone who speaks a little English. The best way to get information and tickets is on-line at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Arriving on HAL at 6am you have several options.

ICE direct from Warnemuende at 6.58 arr Berlin 9.48, depart Berlin at 18.13 arr. Warnemuende 20.42.

Fare - 106 euros return pp

RE - two hourly service departing Rostock Hbf. 8.34 arr Berlin 11.14 etc., departing Berlin 16.45 arr. Rostock Hbf 20.01 etc. up to 20.45 departure

Standard fare valid anytime on Regional trains, 89.60 euros return pp

Quer-durch-Land ticket valid after 9am, 48 euros for two persons, travel anywhere on Regional trains all day.

I am sorry but I do not know where the Berlin Walks meet. Maybe the web site (which I am not allowed to quote) or someone who has done this tour can tell you.

Good information on the port of Rostock (of which city Warnemuende is a suburb) can be found at either

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping.html or

http://www.rsag-online.com/

Happy cruising :) Anni

Hi Anni, thank you for responding to my many questions. It's now decision time.

Regards, Ed

I will be arriving in Warnemunde on the Emerald Princess. I am interested in touring some combination of Wismar, Lubeck, and Schwerin. I'd also like to have some free time in Warnemunde on my own before or after (no need for a tour). I don't feel comfortable renting a car and going off on my own by train. Can anyone recommend options for tours? I have seen information from Friends of Dave and Taxi-Harry. If anyone has any information on those options, I'd appreciate it. Price? Quality of tour etc?

Edited by livetao10

I will be arriving in Warnemunde on the Emerald Princess. I am interested in touring some combination of Wismar, Lubeck, and Schwerin. I'd also like to have some free time in Warnemunde on my own before or after (no need for a tour). I don't feel comfortable renting a car and going off on my own by train. Can anyone recommend options for tours? I have seen information from Friends of Dave and Taxi-Harry. If anyone has any information on those options, I'd appreciate it. Price? Quality of tour etc?

Hi, as a local resident I am not allowed to recommend or comment on tour companies, sorry.

Warnemuende,Wismar and Schwerin lend themselves to DIY tours, they are all compact towns with lots of pedestrian only areas, well signed and simple to navigate. The same applies to Luebeck but as it involves over twice the travel time, either by road or rail, it requires a day to itself.

I can sympathise with you not wanting to hire a car but travel by train is easy and inexpensive on a day ticket. If you look back on this thread you will see all the information on train times, prices, how to get to and from the railway stations and what to see in both Wismar and Schwerin by yourself.

Most people from whom I have had feed-back have commented on how very easy it was and also on the fact that they were not the only ones on the train. Try your Roll Call forum, maybe you could team up with others planning the same trip. It would make the tickets cheaper too.

The choice between the two towns is one of personal preference. Good sites for maps and information are

www.schwerin.com/english

www.germanplaces.com/germany/wismar

http://www.wismar.de/media/custom/1800_335_1.PDF?1258626002

If you do choose DIY the best way to make the most of the time available is to go to either Wismar or Schwerin first, arriving around 10am when everything opens, and visit Warnemuende in the late afternoon/evening when it is at its best and you can finish the day relaxing within a short stroll of your ship and not have to worry about catching a train or getting back late.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

I am considering Karls Strawberry Farm with my girls 11 & 12 and was wondering, is it easy to get a taxi to go there or should I pre-arrange one? It seems it is a 19 minute drive on Google maps so that is not bad at all. I may conbine this with a beach day. Also, how much would a taxi cost one way to Karls Strawberry Farm?

Also, any feedback about Karls?

I was at Karl's in May last year. Its 'different' :D. It was their strawberry festival, so they had extra things going on. The world's largest strawberry cake with REAL whipped cream. YUM.

Your girls might be a bit too old for what is on offer in the way of rides. I remember a train, jumping things, and a potato sack slide. The slide was free though, the train was 1 Euro I think.

There are several shops, a couple of apparel outlets, and almost everything in Karl's shops is strawberry themed. There was a garden center as well. I actually had a good time but if you are expecting an amusement park this is not it.

Thanks for the info. I may have to play it by ear. Doesn't really sound like it would be of interest to them. It is really hard to find something Warnemuende for tweens. My teens are going to Berlin with my husband. I would rather not go to far with my girls. We are considering a tour that does Rostock and Warnemuende but really, what the ideal thing would be is, just a walking tour of Warnemuende to get familiar with the area, then the rest of the day to explore and go to the beach. All tour seem to inlude Warnemuende and something. Anyone know of just a walking tour of Warnemuende? I like to learn a little bit about an area this way.

Also, are taxis near the dock in case we do decide on Karl's?

Thanks for the info. I may have to play it by ear. Doesn't really sound like it would be of interest to them. It is really hard to find something Warnemuende for tweens. My teens are going to Berlin with my husband. I would rather not go to far with my girls. We are considering a tour that does Rostock and Warnemuende but really, what the ideal thing would be is, just a walking tour of Warnemuende to get familiar with the area, then the rest of the day to explore and go to the beach. All tour seem to inlude Warnemuende and something. Anyone know of just a walking tour of Warnemuende? I like to learn a little bit about an area this way.

WG

Not to sound silly here, but a walking tour of Warnemunde would take an hour, maybe two, if you stopped for a snack.:D:D:D:D. The town is just a few blocks. The walk to the beach is about 10-15 minutes and you can spend a good part of the day over there. You have the lighthouse to climb up if you wish, but overall, you would be hard pressed to spend an exciting day in Warnmunde. It is a very attractive town, but most people usually venture to some where else, like Rostock, if you don't want to make the trek to Berlin.

Cheers

Len

Hi, Len and 'Sauer Kraut' are both right, unfortunately there is not much for this age group in Rostock/Warnemuende but how about the Rostock Zoo? It is set in a wooded area on the edge of town, a 15 min tram ride from the central station. Not world class but a very pleasant Zoo in the process of being modernised with some of the animals in very natural habitats. They do have the guide pamphlet in English if you ask.

Internet: http://www.zoo-rostock.de/english/

With a local transport day ticket (4.60 for an adult, 3.30 for school student) take the train from Warnemuende to Rostock Hbf and the No 6 tram to the Zoo where the stop is right outside the gate. On the way back you could stop off in Rostock city and then finish the day in Warnemuende. In summer it is light and warm enough for the beach until late evening.The day ticket also allows you to use the cross river ferry near the ship.

As far as I know the walking tours of Warnemuende alone are in German only but the tourist office has English information on what to see etc. There are taxis right outside the ship and also at the railway station, 5 mins walk.

Hope this helps with your planning

Anni

A fun thing that we are doing is taking the kids to the Water Park in Wismar. We're going to spend 3.5 hours doing the waters slides, then touring the town of Wismar. It will be a nice break from the usual touring during the trip.

Unfortunately, I did not see this until after we decided on a plan but I do appreciate the response. We went ahead and booked the Complete Hansa tour with Friends of Dave. We are planning on seeing several castles before coming to Germany so we thought we might enjoy something a bit different in Wismar. Hopefully, we have made a good decision. It was a difficult choice.

Hi, as a local resident I am not allowed to recommend or comment on tour companies, sorry.

Warnemuende,Wismar and Schwerin lend themselves to DIY tours, they are all compact towns with lots of pedestrian only areas, well signed and simple to navigate. The same applies to Luebeck but as it involves over twice the travel time, either by road or rail, it requires a day to itself.

I can sympathise with you not wanting to hire a car but travel by train is easy and inexpensive on a day ticket. If you look back on this thread you will see all the information on train times, prices, how to get to and from the railway stations and what to see in both Wismar and Schwerin by yourself.

Most people from whom I have had feed-back have commented on how very easy it was and also on the fact that they were not the only ones on the train. Try your Roll Call forum, maybe you could team up with others planning the same trip. It would make the tickets cheaper too.

The choice between the two towns is one of personal preference. Good sites for maps and information are

www.schwerin.com/english

www.germanplaces.com/germany/wismar

http://www.wismar.de/media/custom/1800_335_1.PDF?1258626002

If you do choose DIY the best way to make the most of the time available is to go to either Wismar or Schwerin first, arriving around 10am when everything opens, and visit Warnemuende in the late afternoon/evening when it is at its best and you can finish the day relaxing within a short stroll of your ship and not have to worry about catching a train or getting back late.

Anni

Is it necessary to go first class on the train? What is the difference?

Below is the schedule we have planned let me know your thoughts?

The following is a schedule from the train web page.

Start in Warnemunde at 8:37 AM, quick changeover in Rostock, then to Schwerin at 10:03.

There were many options for the return journey, so I picked one starting at 1:45 (maybe assume lunch near noon?), then train to Wismar, with layover here for a few hours, then back. Option to stop and stay longer in Rostock, or just back to ship. We are in port until 9:00 PM, and this schedule arrives in Warmemunde at 6:21 PM.

This is just to get an idea of what is possible....I think I'm getting the hang of that website. Can put in multiple stops, and tell them how long you want to stay at each one, and it gives you time options..

The price here is first class, 29 euro per person for 6.

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=OKA5nZn1hm4CKZrLqV9SVu4vI2Rv0E361N7NpURWuJg%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.img-bahn.de%2fv%2f861%2fimg%2flogo-db-bahn.gif

Print Close

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=OKA5nZn1hm4CKZrLqV9SVu4vI2Rv0E361N7NpURWuJg%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.img-bahn.de%2fv%2f861%2fimg%2flogo-db-bahn.gif

Your selected outward journey

Station/StopDateTimePlatformProductsCommentsWarnemündeSu, 17.06.12dep08:372 S 1S-Bahn Direction: Rostock Hbf

Number of bicycles conveyed limited, vehicle-mounted accessaid, notification: 01805-512512 *, (*14 ct/Min. aus dem Festnetz, Tarif bei Mobilfunk max. 42 ct/Min.)Rostock HbfSu, 17.06.12arr08:58Rostock HbfSu, 17.06.12dep09:07RE 4306Regional-Express

Number of bicycles conveyed limited, SnackPoint/Snacks on board the train, vehicle-mounted accessaid, notification: 01805-512512 *, (*14 ct/Min. aus dem Festnetz, Tarif bei Mobilfunk max. 42 ct/Min.)Schwerin HbfSu, 17.06.12arr10:03Your selected return journey

Station/StopDateTimePlatformProductsCommentsSchwerin HbfSu, 17.06.12dep13:45RE 37378Regional-Express

Number of bicycles conveyed limited, SnackPoint/Snacks on board the train, vehicle-mounted accessaid, notification: 01805-512512 *, (*14 ct/Min. aus dem Festnetz, Tarif bei Mobilfunk max. 42 ct/Min.)WismarSu, 17.06.12arr14:22WismarSu, 17.06.12dep16:42RE 13131Regional-Express

Number of bicycles conveyed limited, vehicle-mounted accessaid, notification: 01805-512512 *, (*14 ct/Min. aus dem Festnetz, Tarif bei Mobilfunk max. 42 ct/Min.)Rostock HbfSu, 17.06.12arr17:51Rostock HbfSu, 17.06.12dep18:01S 1S-Bahn Direction: Warnemünde

Number of bicycles conveyed limited, vehicle-mounted accessaid, notification: 01805-512512 *, (*14 ct/Min. aus dem Festnetz, Tarif bei Mobilfunk max. 42 ct/Min.)WarnemündeSu, 17.06.12arr18:213 Your offer (no commitment necessary)

Your offer

6 Adults, 1st classRound trip, Warnemünde - Schwerin Hbf, Gruppe&Spar 50174,00 EUR (29,00 EUR per person)Specific-train booking, reservation and limited long-distance group and saver tickets. Special conditions for exchanges/refunds. Tickets may be purchased no later than 1 hour before departure.Total Price174,00 EUR (29,00 EUR per person)All information without guarantee

Is it necessary to go first class on the train? What is the difference?

Below is the schedule we have planned let me know your thoughts?

Hi, I would be interested to know the address of the website as I have never seen one offering to plan group travel.

The difference between 1st and standard on Regional and local trains is virtually nil - the seats are a different colour and there are less of them! On most of these trains 1st class is less than half a wagon.

This plan requires booking specific trains so you cannot change your plans and if you miss a train you will be charged the full fare on a substitute but with a Mecklenburg ticket you travel all day wherever and whenever you wish.

Group tickets are a saving if you are using ICE, IC or EC (Inter City Express, Inter-City or Euro City) trains where there are no day tickets but this plan is all on RE, Regio or S-bahn trains (Regional Express, Regional or local) for which the Mecklenburg day ticket is valid.

Using a Mecklenburg Day ticket exactly the same plan (identical trains and times but Standard class) would cost as follows;-

One Mecklenburg ticket for 5 persons = 33 eros + one Mecklenburg ticket for 1 person = 21 euros.

Tickets to travel from Warnemuende to Rostock before 9am, 6 x 1.80 = 10.80 euros.

Total cost for 6 people to travel all day, anywhere in Mecklenburg, on any regional or local train 64.80 euros.

Advantages :- Less than half the cost, full flexibility to change your plans as you go, no penalty if you miss a train.

The first part of the plan is very tight and does not allow for any mistakes or holdups in Rostock which is a small station but not so easy to navigate for the first time so I would recommend the 8:22 from Warnemuende if possible.

Bear in mind that the walk from the station to anything of interest in both Schwerin and Wismar takes between 10 and 15 mins at a reasonable pace. If you finish at the castle in Schwerin the walk back to the station is at least 20mins.

The tram ride between Rostock Hbf and Rostock City takes about 10 mins with about 10 mins between trams.

Please do not think I am trying to put you off, it is do-able but I personally do not think that three and three quarter hours in Schwerin or two hours in Wismar are enough to see very much when you take away the walking time from and back to the station and the few minutes before the train etc. (German short distance trains leave on the dot!) Neither is it a good idea to be restricted to specific trains and having to worry constantly about the time.

I am, however, always ready to stand corrected and would be interested to hear the comments of someone who has actually done this trip.

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Have you looked at Europcar for the Rostock Cruise Terminal Warnemunde? They are running about 85 Euro for the day. Sorry the site is in German but I think you can figure it out.

Hertz is there as well.

You might want to read Heinbloed's blog about renting in that area. http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-car-rental.html

Hi Anni,

Im arriving on May 26th on Emerald Princess. Id like to rent a car at the cruise terminal for one day. On the Sixt website, it implies the car rental is only open until noon. Are there other companies I can look at? Thanks.

Hi, you are right, Sixt is open only for pick-ups until noon in Warnemuende but all the paperwork is completed on pick up so when you return the car you just park it in the designated area and drop the keys in the box provided. No need for an office.

Two others you could try:

Hertz - English language web site

http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/car-hire/germany/rostock

Europcar - English language web site

http://www.europcar.com/car-rental-GERMANY-ROSTOCK.html

Both companies have pick up and drop off facilities at the cruise terminal.

Just a word of warning if you require an Automatic. Most cars in Germany have manual transmission and the hire companies only have a limited number of Automatics so you may need to book early.

Anni

Edited by rostocker

DB Bahn takes the hassle out of group travel!

DB Bahn offers several discounts for group travel throughout Germany and even internationally. Whether you are travelling with friends, schools or colleagues, DB Bahn wants to help you save money on your journey.

MDB55879-6536558_teens_4zu2_224x112.jpgA German regional ticket for up to 5 persons from just EUR 28.00

For unlimited travel for a whole day within a certain region, one of DB Bahn's "Länder-Tickets" is the best choice.

Travel can be on any day of the week within one of the German states. The ticket can be used on all local trains (RegionalExpress, RegionalBahn, S-Bahn) and several other transport systems.

Save up to 70% on rail travel

Six adults or more travelling together can save up to 70% on rail travel in Germany and beyond!

Group contingents can be booked up to 12 months in advance.

The group discounts are subject to availability.

Deutsche Bahn offers five convenient discount categories:

Gruppe&Spar PricesGruppe&Spar 3030% discountGruppe&Spar 4040% discountGruppe&Spar 5050% discountGruppe&Spar 60 60% discount

Gruppe&Spar 70 70% discount

Gruppe&Spar - always up-to-the-minute with the fare and availability indicator

With the fare and availability indicator for groups, you can conveniently check from your home which Gruppe&Spar offers are available for the group travel you wish and also what the journey will cost. You can request the information both for national as well as for international group journeys by rail.

You are welcome to send your availability-checked group journey to our DB customer support agents via the online enquiry form. They will contact you within 24 hours.

Search for Gruppe&Spar offers

IS THIS AN ALL DAY PASS?

Also, how much is it to rent a van for 6 people for one day?

• DB Bahn takes the hassle out of group travel!

DB Bahn offers several discounts for group travel throughout Germany and even internationally. Whether you are travelling with friends, schools or colleagues, DB Bahn wants to help you save money on your journey.

MDB55879-6536558_teens_4zu2_224x112.jpgA German regional ticket for up to 5 persons from just EUR 28.00

For unlimited travel for a whole day within a certain region, one of DB Bahn's "Länder-Tickets" is the best choice.

Travel can be on any day of the week within one of the German states. The ticket can be used on all local trains ( RegionalExpress, RegionalBahn, S-Bahn) and several other transport systems.

Save up to 70% on rail travel

Six adults or more travelling together can save up to 70% on rail travel in Germany and beyond!

Group contingents can be booked up to 12 months in advance.

The group discounts are subject to availability.

Deutsche Bahn offers five convenient discount categories:

Gruppe&Spar PricesGruppe&Spar 3030% discountGruppe&Spar 4040% discountGruppe&Spar 5050% discountGruppe&Spar 60 60% discount

Gruppe&Spar 70 70% discount

Gruppe&Spar - always up-to-the-minute with the fare and availability indicator

With the fare and availability indicator for groups, you can conveniently check from your home which Gruppe&Spar offers are available for the group travel you wish and also what the journey will cost. You can request the information both for national as well as for international group journeys by rail.

You are welcome to send your availability-checked group journey to our DB customer support agents via the online enquiry form. They will contact you within 24 hours.

Search for Gruppe&Spar offers

IS THIS AN ALL DAY PASS?

Also, how much is it to rent a van for 6 people for one day?

Hi, thanks for the info, I guess it is on the offers page but I have never looked at it because, as I said before, Group Travel is only a saving if you are using ICE, IC or EC trains on longer routes where Lander tickets are not available and is designed specially for larger groups. Six persons is the minimum.

According to DB themselves a Mecklenburg Lander Ticket is the best choice for what you wish to do. (Your quote - paragraph marked in red). Details and 2012 prices are in my post of January 18th.

You can buy the ticket on-line (full explanation of how in my post of January 16th 2012), from a ticket office, from a machine or on the train. No need to pre-select trains, book seats or decide your itinerary in advance, just get a ticket and go. Even with your group of 6 adults it is still cheaper to buy a Lander ticket for 5 + a Lander ticket for 1 (which would also cover 2 children) than a Group ticket for 6.

Most Cruisers travelling in this area have used the Lander tickets and many have bought them on line without any trouble using the advice offered on this thread. The DB pages are very good but there are so many variables and the information is rather complicated which is why I try to help by using my local knowledge to work out which is the best deal and offering a simple explanation in my posts.

Sorry, I cannot tell you the cost of a van but Europcar, Hertz and Sixt all have web pages in English and facilites at the Cruise Terminal (see previous post).

Anni

Liebe Anni,

It's Ellen again. Hope you are doing well.

As you know, we are on HAL Eurodam and will arrive in Warnemünde on Monday, 2 July at 6 AM; departing at 22:00 (10 PM).

I am laying out an itinerary for:

• Warnemünde - Rostock - Schwerin - Wismar - Rostock -Warnemünde

Per your advice we plan to take the 8:22 am to Rostock, get the Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and travel on to Schwerin Hbf. Walk to the castle, see the market.

Estimate 4 hours for this.

Next, take train from Schwerin to Wismar - using this link for info:

http://www.wismar-stralsund.de/en

Estimate 2 hourse for Wismar.

Then train to Rostock -- see the Stasi Prison (Monday & Closed as you kindly let me know earlier.)

Then back to Warnemünde and the Eurodam.

But, I do need a reality check from you please. Will this itinerary work with the train schedules? I sometimes find the destination boards confusing.... and obviously on DIY travel, knowing timetables and which way to walk is critical. I have been meaning to look at the Michellin site for walking directions.....

Dankbar :):)

Ellen G

Edited by Halemaumau
font color

Liebe Anni,

It's Ellen again. Hope you are doing well.

As you know, we are on HAL Eurodam and will arrive in Warnemünde on Monday, 2 July at 6 AM; departing at 22:00 (10 PM).

I am laying out an itinerary for:

• Warnemünde - Rostock - Schwerin - Wismar - Rostock -Warnemünde

Per your advice we plan to take the 8:22 am to Rostock, get the Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and travel on to Schwerin Hbf. Walk to the castle, see the market.

Estimate 4 hours for this.

Next, take train from Schwerin to Wismar - using this link for info:

http://www.wismar-stralsund.de/en

Estimate 2 hourse for Wismar.

Then train to Rostock -- see the Stasi Prison (Monday & Closed as you kindly let me know earlier.)

Then back to Warnemünde and the Eurodam.

But, I do need a reality check from you please. Will this itinerary work with the train schedules? I sometimes find the destination boards confusing.... and obviously on DIY travel, knowing timetables and which way to walk is critical. I have been meaning to look at the Michellin site for walking directions.....

Dankbar :):)

Ellen G

Hi Ellen, I am well thankyou. Very busy at the moment creating a web site of info for cruisers travelling in this area. Up and running next week I hope.

The 9.07 from Rostock arrives Schwerin 10.03 so with your schedule you would need to depart Schwerin either 1.53 arriving Wismar 2.46 or 2.22 arriving 3.15. Trains to Rostock depart Wismar hourly. The 4.42 arriving Rostock 5.51 and so on. With sailing time of 10 pm I presume you would need to be on board by 9pm so would need to leave Rostock Hbf no later than the 8.16.

Bear in mind that the walk from the station to anything of interest in both Schwerin and Wismar takes between 10 and 15 mins at a reasonable pace. If you finish at the castle in Schwerin the walk back to the station is at least 20mins.

The tram ride between Rostock Hbf and Rostock City takes about 10 mins with about 10 mins between trams.

Please do not think I am trying to put you off, it is do-able but 4 hours in Schwerin, especially if you want to tour the castle, or 2 hours in Wismar are not really enough to see very much when you take away the walking time from and back to the station and the few minutes before the train etc. (German short distance trains leave on the dot!)

My personal recommendation would be to choose one or the other and combine Schwerin with Rostock or Wismar with either Bad Doberan or Rostock then finish off with an evening stroll around Warnemuende. This typical, small, North German seaside resort and fishing town is a gem not to be missed and is unique on a Baltic Cruise as all the other Ports of Call are cities.

If you want detailed directions for Rostock Hbf or to and from the stations in the other cities please let me know. If the web site is not finished I will e-mail them to you.

Happy Cruising, :) Anni