Just off the Oosterdam some general observations

gjohnson75

My wife and I just returned from the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam. We had a terrific time. I don't have time to write up a full review, but here are some general observations and notes.

The Ship itself was very nice. I really liked the decor around it. I think I filled up half my camera card just on decorations. It seemed like everything was also easy to find. Of course it could of helped that we had a room right in the center of the ship. Nothing looked to beat up or in need of repairs. Overall I would give the ship an 8 out of 10.

Dining: I liked the come when you want dining option. We went to dinner a different time each night and sat with different people each night. All made for fun conversations and getting to know more people. The food was decent most nights. There was never anything that blew my mind away in the main dining room. However, we did eat at the Pinnacle Grill one night and the Caesar Salad was amazing. I am still thinking about it. The dining staff at both were attentive and took care of us. Lido food options were pretty good too we always ate breakfast and lunch there.

Cabin: Our cabin was nice and roomy with a decent size balcony. Our steward was like a ninja even if we left for a few minutes he was in to clean it.

Front Office: This was the only problem I had on the ship. For some reason that had us listed as two separate spending accounts instead of one and it was doing weird things with my credit card authorizations. We asked them on Sunday to combine it to one. They assured us it would be. However we had to go back every day until Friday before it was done.

Mazatlan: Mazatlan was nice once we made it past the wave of people who want you to do a tour or get a cab ride. We took a cab over to old town to walk around the market. Then over to the golden zone for shopping and lunch.The area was a little pushy though at each store. But we have cruised enough to get over that now.

Puerto Vallarta: Was a very nice port, we did a ship excursion. City, Country and Tequilla. It was a good tour. I did feel bad for the guy who drank tequialla on the tour. He didn't look like he was happy coming back from it. Then there was one family who showed up to the pier at 4pm even though all aboard was at 3:30. I guess thankfully the ship was still there.

Cabo San Lucas: We snorkeled here and just walked around the shops at the marina. Other then being a tender port it was great.

All in all it was a great cruise. If you go on it, I highly recommend splurging and getting the hydrotherapy room package from the spa. It is very nice and you will appreciate it after being on port all day.

The most likely source for your account issues was what you originally put in online. The check-in staff do not monitor it, nor ask for your credit card information anymore. I'm glad that it was eventually resolved.

David

Oosterdam was my first HAL ship and needless to say I am thrilled every good/great review that I read:)

If you have any photos I can use on the HAL Stateroom/Cabins web site, it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome home!!

Joanie

The most likely source for your account issues was what you originally put in online. The check-in staff do not monitor it, nor ask for your credit card information anymore. I'm glad that it was eventually resolved.

David

Right I figured that... However, on Sunday when we asked them to combine the account they assured us that it would be done that night by the night auditor... However, we had to go back each day to get the same assurances...

Oosterdam was my first HAL ship and needless to say I am thrilled every good/great review that I read:)

If you have any photos I can use on the HAL Stateroom/Cabins web site, it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome home!!

Joanie

I tried uploading some pictures from our cabin but I guess I will have to try again later. We were in cabin 1114 (Oosterdam). Nothing special or different but it was the first time I have had a bathtub in a cabin. Roomy :) I loved the location, very convenient. We were right under the kitchen though. It wasn't enough noise to keep me awake or wake me in the morning or even annoying. Pretty muffled

1405511376_MexRivCruiseDec2010280.jpg.008dc61dbbbc1810e702edaa5b7025ca.jpg

1619600393_MexRivCruiseDec2010183.jpg.a05c2143922e1f8b93d9a6a0a86c4420.jpg

1418394975_MexRivCruiseDec2010284.jpg.54e7eb299e92f227cb9c614861cda25a.jpg.

I tried uploading some pictures from our cabin but I guess I will have to try again later. We were in cabin 1114 (Oosterdam). Nothing special or different but it was the first time I have had a bathtub in a cabin. Roomy :) I loved the location, very convenient. We were right under the kitchen though. It wasn't enough noise to keep me awake or wake me in the morning or even annoying. Pretty muffled

[ATTACH]177448[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]177449[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]177450[/ATTACH].

Can you email them to me at irl_joanie@yahoo.com ?? They are to tiny here on the boards for me to use for the Stateroom/Cabins page:( just click on my email address and attach the photos and I will get them:)

I'll use your review and comments to questions for the descriptions.

You are an angel!!

Joanie

Archived