Watching bowl games on Allure in January?

We're on the Jan. 2 cruise which is right smack-dab in the middle of the best football bowl games.

On past cruises we saw the TVs had CNN and some sports channels, but I don't recall if they carried ESPN channels. Is that different on Allure?

Would the TVs in the various bars carry the games? I'm going to have a seriously disappointed son if not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows the answers.

Patrick

when i was on the explorer, In was told the only sports channel they had was espn international.....so i was stuck watching soccer and tennis all cruise :-/:mad:

That's what I remembered on the smaller ships as well. I'm still hoping that something the size of Allure will have more options.

Well...Some of us are on this cruise to forget about football season! ;)

But, seriously, not much to worry about...

Here are the bowl games that will be played during our sailing:

Orange - Miami, FL 1/3/11 8:00pm ESPN

Stanford (11-1) vs. Virginia Tech (11-2)...Okay, we're at sea that day...and it's not a bad game but, no need to watch...Stanford will kill VaTech...If you're a Stanford fan, you are not cruising this week...you've gone to so few bowl games in your life that you're not missing this one...and it's your last chance to like Jim Harbaugh before he packs up and heads over to Michigan when they fire RichRod the next day...If you're a VaTech fan, you're turning it off midway through the first quarter anyway...

Sugar - New Orleans, LA 1/4/11 8:00pm ESPN

Arkansas (10-2) vs. Ohio State (11-1)...You've been swimming, snorkeling and parasailing around Labadee all day so you're tired...watching these two teams run up the middle will put you to sleep anyway...so, what's the point?

GoDaddy.com - Mobile, AL 1/6/11 8:00pm ESPN

Middle Tennessee (6-6) vs. Miami, O. (9-4)...You've been trudging around the Mayan ruins at Costa Maya all afternoon...need to go eat dinner...what part of that do you want to rush through to go see these two? Middle Tennessee? Are you kidding me? Is Tennessee big enough to have a "middle"...Or should it be "Middling"? As in the state of their record...And, face it, this ain't the bad boys from Miami--as in Florida...This is some "Miami" from some out of the way place in the frozen upper Midwest...no beaches, no clubs, no nightlife...How does this one even qualify as a "Bowl Game"?

Cotton - Arlington, TX 1/7/11 8:00pm Fox

LSU (10-2) vs. Texas A&M (9-3)... You've been in Cozumel all day...and it's formal night...perfect for watching two also-rans duke it out in the frozen, wind-blown tundra that is the Cotton Bowl...The Cotton Bowl sank from relevance decades ago...I went to a Cotton Bowl back in the 90s...they should have just canceled all future Cotton Bowls...despite some geographical misapprehensions about location, Dallas is NOT a warm weather city...Typical "wind chill" factor in January is roughly equivalent to Fairbanks, Alaska...except Fairbanks has more charm than Dallas...And, it's on Fox, so the cruise ship surely won't get it anyway...

BBVA Compass Bowl - Birmingham, AL 1/8/11 Noon ESPN

Pittsburgh (7-5) vs. Kentucky (6-6)...I've never even heard of this Bowl Game...It's your last day on the ship, do you really want to spend it in front of a TV watching this turkey? Why are they even putting it on television? There isn't a poker tournament or cheerleading competition they could air? No telemarketing firm wants the slot? Face it, Pittsburgh ran their coach out of town BEFORE the bowl game...and they are probably favored...I didn't even know Kentucky still had a football program...

So, there you have it...you're not missing all that much...TIVO the Orange and Sugar Bowls...don't check the scores while on the ship...and when you get home, you can watch both games in about two hours, zipping right through commercials, half time and when Arkansas has the ball...

Oregon doesn't have it's fun little scrimmage with Auburn until the 10th...and we'll be home

by then...and, Auburn fans don't have to watch (or won't want to) anyway...

Let's just enjoy the cruise...Kentucky and Middle Tennessee and the rest can do without us...They've played the season in obscurity up to now, why pay any attention now?

The BCS has made almost all of the Bowl Games irrelevant anyway...

See you in three and a half weeks...

Archived