Clelia II lost power in Antarctic

PA Dutchman

Just read about that- sounds like it got hit by a rouge wave. I was going to start a post asking about whether any of us had ever experienced these massive waves. Just read the book about them- very very interesting. Sounds like the Clelia is limping back to port so it will be ok.

Probably should be posted on a board that other cruiselines read if you are posting it just for interest. Something like "Ask a cruise question" or "Specialty cruises".

I don't think it qualifies as a "cruise ship", it weighs less than 3 tons and holds 100 guests and less than 300ft long? One article said it was a personal "yacht". I for one would not cruise in the Antartic on this size of a ship. Call me crazy!:p

Hummm... the specs I saw put her at 4077 gross tons, 290 feet. That would be one heck of a yacht!!!

http://www.traveldynamicsinternational.com/shipdeck.asp?shipid=3

Travel Dynamics International acquired the ship and extensively refurbished her in 2009.

:)

PLEASE!!!!!! Nobody say that a bad day on a cruise is better than..... See, even I didn't finish that.

I guess the safest place to be is under the tightly tucked-in blankets in bed, with a life-vest on. I'm sure there are injuries on that ship. That's a mess.

They say no injuries with the 160 passengers (correcting myself above). I was once on a ferry in that kind of sea- but for 2 hours, not days. I find it hard to imagine that you could stay on the bed- tied to the mast sounds safer. And I agree- sometimes even a bad day at work....etc etc.

PLEASE!!!!!! Nobody say that a bad day on a cruise is better than..... See, even I didn't finish that.

I guess the safest place to be is under the tightly tucked-in blankets in bed, with a life-vest on. I'm sure there are injuries on that ship. That's a mess.

Why not? An Antarctic cruise is on my wish list.

I was on Splendor when the ship went around Cape Horn - the weather can be nasty and it was. On the other hand, Ushuaia was beautiful.

IMG_8849.JPG

IMG_8874.JPG

IMG_9116.JPG

IMG_9141.JPG

There - back to Carnival!

I'd hate to have a forward balcony on that ship :cool:

She is currently under power and making her way to Ushuaia at about five knots.

I watched that video. She kept her bow into the waves the entire time from what I can see. That would mean they had directional control created by either forward speed or thrusters...

:)

I don't think it qualifies as a "cruise ship", it weighs less than 3 tons and holds 100 guests and less than 300ft long? One article said it was a personal "yacht". I for one would not cruise in the Antartic on this size of a ship. Call me crazy!:p

I wouldn't cruise in the Antartic on any ship!!!!!!!!!! But I am a big baby.

Archived