What would you do?

Amosmoses33

My wife and I are booked on the Victory out of San Juan for March.

We got one of the rooms next to the aft wrap on the port side (last room on the port side/rear of ship). It has the longer balcony and L shaped room but charged at an 8B price. Before we booked we were juggling this room or an interior. Our last payment is coming up due and I just can't decide if the extra $610 is/was worth it. I could be paid up with OBC or still owe money. It is port intensive itenerary but not sure we will be doing excursions every port.

I need to make a decision soon. I thought I had but am having second thoughts on the balcony.

Thanks!

I agree with the PP........I wouldn't pay that much for a balcony

We cruise several times a year and always on an inside (unless we get a free upgrade) We like being out among people and go to the Lido or Lobby deck if we want breezes or spend time on the Promenade....just sitting on my balcony isn't something that I would be interested in.

IMO I wouldn't pay that much extra for the balcony, especially on an

itinerary with a lot of ports.

Even if you are not in port or doing excursions for long periods of time, the majority of the passengers will be off the ship, so you will still find plenty of places to to kind of relax without a crowd and it will feel like the ship is all yours...:)

Enjoy!

To swim against the tide here- I use my balcony a lot and for me it would be worth while- although I'm not sure how long the trip is. I've seen people consider spending half that just to move up a few decks- from inside to outside with a huge balcony- I'd go for it.

We only do balconies!! I can't stand the closed in feeling in an interior room and you never know when you might want the peace and relaxation of your own balcony. Saw an aft balcony on the Conquest on our last cruise and really liked it.

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, I agree with the points about the southern being port intensive...it sure is. That being said, we enjoyed having a balcony on that cruise more for that reason. Coming back from a port (or prior to leaving) and sitting on the balcony enjoying the view. Just my 2 cents....

To swim against the tide here- I use my balcony a lot and for me it would be worth while- although I'm not sure how long the trip is. I've seen people consider spending half that just to move up a few decks- from inside to outside with a huge balcony- I'd go for it.

I agree with 5waldos...I love having my own "private" spot to sit and have morning coffee, evening drinks or just to relax and watch the water. Now if finances were an issue for me, then I would go for an inside in a minute rather than not cruise, as probably most folks would. Iplan my budget accordingly and save throughout the year with a balcony being my goal.

I have never had a balcony so I guess I am not a great judge but I know for $610 I could almost afford another cruise.

One day I will be lucky enough to jion that elite group of snobs but for now cruising w/ a family of 4 it takes us doing it on a strict budget!

Plus I like the people watching on deck and so on. Not to mention I can't supervise my kids from my balcony.

I have never had a balcony so I guess I am not a great judge but I know for $610 I could almost afford another cruise.

One day I will be lucky enough to jion that elite group of snobs but for now cruising w/ a family of 4 it takes us doing it on a strict budget!

Plus I like the people watching on deck and so on. Not to mention I can't supervise my kids from my balcony.

I will try and take the balcony snob with pride :D Can understand your point not for everyone. Just for point of reference, sometimes they are closer in price that you may think;)

Balcony snob here. If it were me I wouldn't have been looking at an inside at all in the first place, BUT $600 is a good chunk of change and if you'd be ok with an inside save your money!

BTW, we've had a similar cabin and loved loved the nice long balcony.

Good luck!

I'm like Habby - I've become a balcony snob. We had one of those L-shaped cabins on Victory this past February. We love to sit in peace and quiet and read, snooze, sun, whatever. This itinerary is indeed a port intense cruise. I liked nothing better than getting up early, going up to Lido and getting my mug of coffee, then coming back down to our balcony and watching the ship come into port. So my two cents worth is, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Now I am even more unsure lol... Ive had balcony and I've had interior. I like the interior is dark, even during the day for naps. And I think I can find something else to do with $600...but I loved the balcony when I had it. Watching sail away and waking up in the morning and seeing land/port.

My wife says "Its up to you" which is no help lol.

Now I am even more unsure lol... Ive had balcony and I've had interior. I like the interior is dark, even during the day for naps. And I think I can find something else to do with $600...but I loved the balcony when I had it. Watching sail away and waking up in the morning and seeing land/port.

My wife says "Its up to you" which is no help lol.

Pretty much along the lines (in terms of help) as we have been...;) Let us know hat you decide.

We just arrived back from a 4 day cruise on the Paradise in which we had an Inside Porthole Stateroom. We loved it, and would do it again on a short cruise, however, we are booked next year for a 7 day on the Liberty with 4 ports, and I spent the money on the 8B Balcony that you have booked because it's a longer cruise, and we're going to want that morning and evening quiet time, plus we'll have our own private area for departures and arrivals. To me it's totally worth the extra $$$.

"Balcony Snob?" What brought that on?

OP - A balcony is great and gives you a little private open space, but it's not the only way to cruise. If you're uncomfortable spending the money, enjoy the savings of an inside and have a great cruise.

Archived