Character Dining on LOS

KathyF.

I would love to know the answer as well, along with, will there be meet and greet times and professional pics with the characters, I hope that someone that has sailed on the ALLURE can share how things were done.

The characters are adorable BUT – The characters walking around the dining room a during dinner would create havoc as all the kids ( young and old) would run around trying to get hugs and photo shots, all while wait staff are trying to serve a dignified meal. If this is the new norm – then I will certainly know, that after all these years and cruises, RCCL is not the ship for me anymore.

There is a time and place for “Character sightings” but not the main dining room – at dinner. Seems like all dining room decorum will be lost.

Characters walking around during the day is sort of fun to see ( for all ages) , and perhaps there can be a special character meal in a designated area for those who want that.

Taking the Allure in Janaury so I'll see what RCCL will do with the Characters

M

The characters are adorable BUT – The characters walking around the dining room a during dinner would create havoc as all the kids ( young and old) would run around trying to get hugs and photo shots, all while wait staff are trying to serve a dignified meal. If this is the new norm – then I will certainly know, that after all these years and cruises, RCCL is not the ship for me anymore.

There is a time and place for “Character sightings” but not the main dining room – at dinner. Seems like all dining room decorum will be lost.

Characters walking around during the day is sort of fun to see ( for all ages) , and perhaps there can be a special character meal in a designated area for those who want that.

Taking the Allure in Janaury so I'll see what RCCL will do with the Characters

M

We have gone to plenty of character dining meals in WDW and there was never havoc over the characters being there. :confused:

Any how just wondering if there was any schedule regarding the character dining on the Dreamworks cruises.

From what I understand, there will be special dining times ( breakfast and lunch) when you can bring your children to eat with the characters. It will not happen when the dining rooms are full of busy waiters and hungry guests.

Then look in the compas for the dates and times when the characters will be available for photos with your children.

I'm sure that Royal has studied this very carefully and you won't be bothered by this addition. One of the previous posters mentioned that Disney handles this very well and I'm sure Royal will too.

Thanks for the link. Not good reading for me. :( Maybe it will be only in Windjammer or for early dinner in the MDR.

M

I realize that you are an experienced cruiser. This is our first cruise. One of the reasons we were attracted to this specific cruise line and ship is the Dreamworks partnership as we have young children.

I'm asking a legitimate question about the times of character dining.

I do not understand nor appreciate your negativity in my thread. If you are a experienced cruiser and a long time member here how about being welcoming to new cruisers and new posters?

If you don't like the idea of character dining take it up with a cruise ship not with a new poster who is excited about their first cruise.

Stop being such a Debbie Downer and pooping on my excitement. Either provide answers to the questions being asked in the post, add something of value or just ignore the thread.

And thanks for the warm welcome!

From what I understand, there will be special dining times ( breakfast and lunch) when you can bring your children to eat with the characters. It will not happen when the dining rooms are full of busy waiters and hungry guests.

Then look in the compas for the dates and times when the characters will be available for photos with your children.

I'm sure that Royal has studied this very carefully and you won't be bothered by this addition. One of the previous posters mentioned that Disney handles this very well and I'm sure Royal will too.

That makes sense that it would be earlier in the day. I mentioned this to my kids the other day and they were super excited!

Kathy --

Sorry that you consider this a personal attach on you – as it is not.

I’m sure your children are excited to see Shrek – heck- so am I - – just not during my nice dinner.

M

You just seemed so very negative about it all.

Kathy --

Sorry that you consider this a personal attach on you – as it is not.

I’m sure your children are excited to see Shrek – heck- so am I - – just not during my nice dinner.

M

Agreed, Cruisegirl! We are sailing on LOS shortly after the Dreamworks characters are to be introduced. We are not fans of Shrek and his friends, but we are longtime fans of RC, and we're trying to maintain a positive outlook on how all the new changes will be implemented.

And to the OP: Welcome to RC! I hope that you and your family have a great first cruise. Just remember -- LOS is a huge ship, with lots of passengers (and not all of them are there to meet Donkey). ;)

Kathy -

Thank you for posting your question. I too was wondering about the characters and whether RCI would be "allowing" them in the dining rooms.

Having cruised on RCI before with my young son, my guess is that the character dining will be during the kids-only meals that parent's pay to have their children participate in. If I remember correctly from my cruise on Liberty of the Seas in May, Adventure Club closes from 4-6 pm or 5-7 pm (can't remember exactly right now) each day and on several of those nights, they offer a kids-only dinner at Johnny Rockets. Johnny Rockets is closed to the general population while the Adventure Club folks watch the kids during dinner. I would guess that this is the ideal time for a character dining experience where passengers that don't care to participate are not bothered.

i would love to sit in the sun with Shrek...we can comizzerate about those cold winter days up north...the kids would love it to have some of the characters pool side...in fact i'll buy Shrek a Corona light...

i would love to sit in the sun with Shrek...we can comizzerate about those cold winter days up north...the kids would love it to have some of the characters pool side...in fact i'll buy Shrek a Corona light...

OK, it's bad enough to have to share the jacuzzi with a furry guy in a speedo -- but I draw the line at sitting in one with a giant green ogre!! :eek:;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully RCI will find a way to balance character interaction so that those that aren't interested in that kind of thing aren't disturbed by it.

Comparing what happens at WDW with what should happen on a cruise ship are apples and oranges.

I would fully expect to see characters all over the place at WDW..that is what most people go there for..that kind of interaction.

Not so on a cruise ship..I understand they are introducing these things to amuse the kiddies..but they shouldn't impact other cruisers who are onboard for an "adult" trip.

I recall taking my children on the "Big Red Boat" years ago..characters came into the MDR one evening for a "parade" of sorts..we knew they would be there, and there was no issue. We weren't inundated with them any other time while we were onboard.

Having special breakfasts or lunches to provide a venue for kids to dine with these characters is probably the best answer.

I can see both sides of this:

On the one hand, I'm sure a small interruption during dinner would be no more problematic than the singing waiters; and the kids (both small and large) would probably find the characters enchanting for the minute or so they would spend at the table. In fact, on my first cruise on freedom we had a magician come round doing tricks for a couple of minutes, and it wasn't a problem at all. Stick a mask on his head and it's all good fun entertainment!!

I personally would prefer for there to be no characters during formal nights, as I like the glitz of everyone dressing up and making pretend that they're at some really posh restaurant for the night. I can't see Shrek fitting in right in that situation.

OP - Welcome to RC cruising. You'll have a great time, and I'm sure your kids will as well. I'm taking my first cruise with my 2 year old in May (also on Liberty) so will be seeing cruising from a family-orientated view point then.

Archived