Info on folding travel scooters?

rascalrider

Hi Marilyn How did you find the leg room and the seat. Was the

seat comfortable and did you have any problems that the seat did

not swivel. When you had a problem did they come to you home and pick up the first one they sent you. It's quite a bit of money and

I want to make sure I get one for my needs. I have 2 total knee

replacements and my spine is deterioting so I can't sit of straight

I have to recline my sprine so the pain doesn't go to my head. I will

be using this for trips like cruises and quilt shows and AC. Thank you

for any information you can give. Do you recommend this scooter.

:) :)

Lorraine

i haven't been on for a while so sorry to be late in replying.

Lorraine, the legroom is fine for my long legs & the seat is very comfortable but it seems like it might be a problem for you since it doesn't swivel.

They quickly replaced the first scooter by FedEx; there are no arrangements for home visits.

Incidentally, what is AC?

All the best,

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

You mentioned having no power after you were free-wheeling your scooter. It is possible that the free-wheeling lever was not totally returned to the "drive" position. That is always the first thing that I check if I have no power. It is possible for the lever to be bumped if people are lifting it or you have backed into a low-to-the ground object.

I do not have a car charger but thought that it might be handy to get one. Did you have that charger checked out to see what the problem was?

Ruth

Thanks for the suggestion re: checking the lever as I'd not thought of doing that.

I called the makers of the charger given me by the scooter company & was told that it's much too small for that purpose- great!!! I'll be calling the scooter company, Planet Mobility, about this matter...

Marilyn

I just ordered a PaceSaver Leisure-Lift Passport Junion 3 wheeler. It looks as if it will do everything I want it to do and the price wasn't exorbitant. It's also American-made (Kansas City). That was a piece of good news.:) This will be my first scooter. I can walk, but just not very far, and I can't stand for long periods. I'm soooo excited. Now maybe I can go to the mall again.

Have you received & used your new Passport Junior? If so, what do you think of it? How portable is it?

Marilyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ruth

My husband and I are relatively new to cruising as it is a much easier way for me to travel now. I rented a scooter the first trip from a store near home (much cheaper than departure cities) as we were driving to Miami for our departure. I loved the freedom it gave me to get around the ship & not 'waste' my walking capacity just getting from stateroom to dining room. I can walk some and am not confined to the scooter but it really helps after 5 back surgeries.

I ended up buying a Caddy and I love it!!:D My husband can lift it, it has fit into a Ford Focus trunk etc... Although the city isn't accessible yet, the malls sure are!;) Most of the taxi drivers in Panama City, Panama (where we live now) are very willing to help & squeeze it in somehow. Removing the tiller seems to help getting it into a tiny trunk & the tiller can ride inside. It detaches very easily. The batteries slide in & out which makes lifting it for my husband very easy. All together the whole thing is approx. 60lbs. Did you know in the back of the book it says it's from a kibbutz in Israel? My little Kosher scooter....oxoxoxox. I find the seat very comfy & easy to raise & lower as well as the tiller.

**I will warn you about the people handling it at the airport etc. %*&^#!!! If you ride it to the gate & retrieve it at the arrival gate, be sure to follow this advice carefully. (Delta paid $1200. US to have it fixed) Be sure to get a ratchet tie-down from the hardware store, wrap it around the scooter, tiller inclusive. Put red tape on the 'handle' above the front wheel & we taped a note onto the tiller in Eng/Span that read "LIFT BY RED HANDLE IN FRONT". Because.....on our flights to & from an Alaskan cruise, the tiller was just RIPPED up like the handle bars were the only way to grab it. The nice velcro strap provided is great when it is only you or someone who knows better.

I sold my bigger scooter & lift when we left the States, but I would never give up my Caddy.

All the best,

Vicki

Hi Vicky,

I am glad that you love your Caddy and sorry that the airline handlers treated it so roughly. My Scootie tiller does not unplug and is designed to be a lifting handle. My problem is convincing them to use the lifting handle in the back instead of the battery box handle. And to not lift by the plastic fenders. I have attached labels that say "Lift Here" and "Do Not Lift Here". I also attached a laminated picture of the scooter showing the lifting points and the free-wheel release lever. The scooter has survived quite a few flights and has been stuffed in many taxi trunks, usually without taking anything off.

I, too, find cruising the easiest way to travel. My latest just took me through your area. The ship did not dock in Panama, just went through the canal.

My Scootie is 17" wide so is narrow enough to pass those laundry carts that block the ship corridors and will pass through the door of a standard cabin. You might have a little trouble with your Caddy if it is 24" wide ... just means a few extra minutes to get the carts pushed out of the way. the benefits of having the scooter for the long treks and on shore far outweigh the small obstacles.

Congratulations oin your purchase!

Ruth

Ruth---

I would have to agree about the laundry carts! Something we didn't know enough to think about but....I can't use thumb controls. I've had surgery on those also. I suffer with the shopping scooters in such stores as Walmart, Target and grocery stores because of thumb controls. I also like the bigger platform on the Caddy since I can put more packages or carry-on's at the airport on it.

As far as getting through doors if we don't have a handicapped cabin, we just fold it in the hall and bring it in and stand the Caddy inside. This is a feature that is great at home as it can be stored in a closet upright. Also the fact that it is one of the lightest to have ease of lifting for my husband.

I'm posting this to you to help others make the best choice for themselves.

See you on the seas:p

Vicki

Vicki,

I agree with you about the thumb controls ... I don't like them either, but have gotten used to them. The first time out my thumb suffered. I gerrymandered an extension for the forward lever out of plastic tubing and a plumbing piece from a sink stopper. (narrow but sturdy metal strip with holes)

I know there is one Caddy that has an electric folding mechanism, but don't believe the travel model does. My question is just how easy is it to fold? can you do it easily by yourself? I have basically no hand strength left and am determined to remain as independent as possible.

The floor board on the Scootie is small, but I have put a small suitcase under my legs. It is very inconvenient though. I carry my voltage converter under the seat on top of the battery box. I can also carry a small step there. I can carry either a small ramp on top of the tipper wheels or a backpack on the seatback ... but not both. Towing a suitcase behind this scooter did not work well, but I found that I could easily guide a 4-wheeled spinner suitcase along side of me as long as my path i wide enough. It gets tricky in narrow aisles and I sometimes need to request assistance in these areas. I have also figure out how to strap on a pair of crutches as well! I must admit it is a pain getting everything put back together after leaving security in the airports!

My first Scootie has sprung back to life after being in the grave for a year and a half. The repairman can find nothing wrong other than a weak battery ... go figure! It has been sitting, unresponsive in my garage for at least a year and a half. I charged the batteries periodically in case I needed to switch them out to my other Scootie. Just before going to the repairman, it started to respond again. It is a mystery. I figured that maybe the cobblestones, etc had loosened up some connections ... apparently not so.

I am keeping my eyes open on other models in case I decide to make a switch. The Scootie is about as stripped down as they come, but it has been working for me.

I would love to hear how you make out on your trip!

I am starting to plan for a couple of very challenging trips in 2009 ... South America and Suez Canal.

Ruth

We are going on our first trip with our travel scooter. We are worried that it will be difficult to get it in the trunk of a taxi with the luggage needed for a cruise. Has anyone run into this problem? The scooter we are taking is a Lexis Light

Ruth

I can fold the seat of the Caddy with just about 1 finger & the tiller is a lever on the inside which you lift up easily & the tiller lays down over the seat.

shrunklink.com/aewx These are the best pics I could find on the web. The tiller detaches easily with a clip above the front wheel. The batteries just slide right out. I can do all this myself. I just can't lift anything over 10lbs. myself anymore. The ad states that it comes with a back basket. Mine came with a teeny-tiny front basket that a normal womans' purse would never fit in, I just took it off. We are going to fabricate something removable for hooking to the back of the seat. I also like the headlight feature that most scooters don't have. The horn...fuhgetaboutit....like all the others. The charger is not much bigger than the one for my laptop and goes right in my carry-on.

I have had my stuffed laptop case and another bag on the platform and pulled 2 carry-ons with wheels by leaving an armrest up & hooking one to the other pulled them both, less tipping over that way. The crutches may be able to rest above your feet & across your lap & of course your purse is across your chest , in your lap! Come to Panama...try mine out for a spin!

On my 1HP scooter I had the thumb control bar turned around so they were reversed, left was forward etc. and they became 'pull forward'.

I would be glad to take detailed pics of the Caddy if you'd like & I guess I'd have to send them off post. Just let me know.

Anyway I can help,

Yours in scooting,

Vicki

Suz, I have a Fold and Go 350 I don't know if it's from the same company. If it is I have had mine for 4 years and I haven't had any trouble with it. I have travelled a lot with it and I gate check it on airlines. It just folds up and my husband puts it in a travel bag that we bought with the scooter.

I'm taking it with us on our cruise in 2008.

Thanks for the info on the Caddy.

You state its hard for you to lift anything over 10 lbs.---but the ad states the heaviest piece (seat with frame) is 28 lbs. That would be too heavy for me to lift

It looks great except for the weight

Suz, I have a Fold and Go 350 I don't know if it's from the same company. If it is I have had mine for 4 years and I haven't had any trouble with it. I have travelled a lot with it and I gate check it on airlines. It just folds up and my husband puts it in a travel bag that we bought with the scooter.

I'm taking it with us on our cruise in 2008.

http://www.rascalscooters.com/scooters/autogo550.shtml this is the one we have. I am now worried about the battery life as it says that it is good for 10 miles, which to me does not sound like much.

Suz

Berylde,

I usually travel with my husband and he has lifted the whole thing:p. If I were alone & needed to move it for example into a taxi, I could disassemble it very easily & the cabbie would have to lift it. Yes, I would require help. I had a Harmer lift in my minivan before we left the states & bought a 1HP scooter to use daily rather than the Caddy. I can however stand it up or lay it down very easily because of the back wheels.

Hope this helps,

Vicki

Vicki, what is the battery size in your Caddy? I am sure you have 2 12v batteries, but are they12ah or18ah or 21ah? I noticed on another site that the batteries could be upgrraded. I do realize that a more powerful battery will add more weight as well as more mileage. Many scooters will accept only one size battery due to size of the battery case. Is your maximum mileage range 10 miles or greater?

Sunor, a 10 mile range is fairly standard for light weight travel scooters. That is what I am supposed to get on mine. Yes, there have been times when I would have liked a greater range, but for most sightseeing it is sufficient if you use a combination of taxi and scooter power. I find that I can get between 4 -4.5 hours of solid driving time on a fully charged fairly fresh battery provided that too much of it is not uphill. I have sometimes done my entire city tour on my own without the use of taxis or buses. I do have to be cognizant of how far I stray and when I am two hours out I start back towards the ship! You should be fine with a 10-mile range if you keep watch of your power indicator and always start out wih a fully charged battery.

Ruth

I'm going to copy directly from the manual which uses metric. I'll not atempt the conversion due to time at my end...plus I'm a dolt with metric! I'm not sure which batteries I have as they are each encased in a plastic holder.

Batteries & Charger

Batteries; use only

2x FIAMM-GS FGCS21083 12V 18,0 Ah.(20.h) / 15,8 Ah.(5h.)

Size LxWxH 181x76x167

Weight 6,7 Kg. each

2x Ztong Yee Industrial Co / GS 12V 17,0 Ah.(20h.) / 14,4 Ah.(5h)

Size LxWxH 181x76x167

Weight 6,7 Kg each

Battery Charger (220/230V) 24 volt

Maximum charger current (RMS) 2 Amp.

Charging time to 80% charge 8 hours

Charging time to full charge 12 hours

(Data depending on charger used)

This is copied directly from the manual & proofread thrice!;) LOL

Vicki

Sunor, a 10 mile range is fairly standard for light weight travel scooters. That is what I am supposed to get on mine. Yes, there have been times when I would have liked a greater range, but for most sightseeing it is sufficient if you use a combination of taxi and scooter power. I find that I can get between 4 -4.5 hours of solid driving time on a fully charged fairly fresh battery provided that too much of it is not uphill. I have sometimes done my entire city tour on my own without the use of taxis or buses. I do have to be cognizant of how far I stray and when I am two hours out I start back towards the ship! You should be fine with a 10-mile range if you keep watch of your power indicator and always start out wih a fully charged battery.

Ruth, Thanks for your answer. We will give it a try in Dec on our cruise.

Suz

Suz

We have the AutoGo 550. I think that it is a really good scooter. It traveled with us to South America. I not sure how far it really went since my husband only used it around the ship. We did buy a backup battery to take with us so we know we would always have a spare.

Had no problems taking it on a plane.

The fold up came in handy for us. Our hotel in Argentina had an elevator but it was so small the scooter would not fit in. So we used a manaul chair -- folded the scooter just like a vacumn cleaning and was able to get it off and on to the lobby.

Deb

We are going on our first trip with our travel scooter. We are worried that it will be difficult to get it in the trunk of a taxi with the luggage needed for a cruise. Has anyone run into this problem? The scooter we are taking is a Lexis Light

I also have a Lexus Light. Sometimes it won't fit in a car trunk, and we've had to put it in the back seat of a car. Taxi drivers can size up the baggage + scooter issue at a glance, and if we can't make it all work in a sedan, they get me a mini-van.

I hope that your first trip with a travel scooter is the absolute joy that my travels have been. And it's not just the cruise ships; I cannot imagine trying to navigate the Miami airport without one! (I probably won't need the scooter in the Cayman Islands, but I'm taking the scooter anyway just because of MIA.)

I will never forget boarding a cruise ship on my scooter where I had to let the person in front of me get out of the way so I could zoom up the ramp and almost "sail" over the ledge/bridge to make sure I had sufficient momentum! I loved, loved, loved hearing a smiling, "Hey, we have speed limits on this ship!" (And as a polio survivor who was always the slowest walker in any crowd, do I need to tell you how marvelous it is to hear "Hey, slow down!"??!! :) )

By the way, every single airline ramp agent has commented how cool my scooter is, and how unbelievably light (even at 46 lb!) it is. I went to the Container Store and bought giant twist-ties to hold the scooter from unfolding, since it doesn't stay locked. :( I have also learned to get off the plane ASAP so that I can dissuade the ramp agents from trying to "help" by unfolding my scooter. It has come apart several times that way, and getting it re-seated properly is quite a challenge. So I assure them that I can get it, thank you very much, and prevent all sorts of difficultries that way.

Enjoy your travels! I LOVE having my folding scooter for mine!

Sue

Suz

We have the AutoGo 550. I think that it is a really good scooter. It traveled with us to South America. I not sure how far it really went since my husband only used it around the ship. We did buy a backup battery to take with us so we know we would always have a spare.

Had no problems taking it on a plane.

The fold up came in handy for us. Our hotel in Argentina had an elevator but it was so small the scooter would not fit in. So we used a manaul chair -- folded the scooter just like a vacumn cleaning and was able to get it off and on to the lobby.

Deb

Hi Deb,

Thanks for your quick response. Where do you put your extra battery as there is no place to store a extra one while you are out.

My DH will use it on the ship. If we take a tour, he will probably just bring his walker as he can still sit if needed. Thought of putting the charger in the basket under the seat, just in case, we could try and charge on the go, but don't know if that is realistic. We have a Vision Battery. It is suppose to last longer, so I guess time will tell.

Thanks again

Suz

Sunor. keep in mind what the local electrical current is if you are planning on charging "on the go". If the local electrical current is 220 you will also need to carry a voltage converter to step the current down to 110. I like the idea of having two sets of charged batteries all the time, but it seems to me that it would be a lot of trouble carrying them aound and changing them out. I, too, would like to know if someone has a simple solution for doing that.

Vicki, thanks for the specifications of your batteries. I was abe to calculate the weight and size and it appears that your scooter takes 12v 17ah or 18ah interchangeably. I would imagine that you might be able to get a 12-mile range?

Have any of you with folding scooters had them fold on you prematurely?

Sue, what is the ground clearance on your Lexus Light? Was it getting hung up on the apex of the ramp entering the ship? Mine does on some ships and I find it quite aggravating. When that happens it requires a crew member to lift me over the apex. It is a nuisance.

"Vicki, thanks for the specifications of your batteries. I was abe to calculate the weight and size and it appears that your scooter takes 12v 17ah or 18ah interchangeably. I would imagine that you might be able to get a 12-mile range?

Have any of you with folding scooters had them fold on you prematurely? "

Ruth

I've never had the Caddy 'fold' on me. The seat clicks in place & you must lift a lever to move the tiller even while riding. It has always performed admirably.

I don't know the exact range because I've never run the batteries all the way down yet! As you said in another post, "between taxis & using the scooter"., it's just never happened yet. Yes your are correct with the range, I just checked the manual and after converting km to miles, it has 12.5 miles (20km) of range.

Once again, if you like any specific pictures, I'd be happy to send them to you.

Can't blame you for making an educated choice.

Vicki

Sunor. keep in mind what the local electrical current is if you are planning on charging "on the go". If the local electrical current is 220 you will also need to carry a voltage converter to step the current down to 110. I like the idea of having two sets of charged batteries all the time, but it seems to me that it would be a lot of trouble carrying them aound and changing them out. I, too, would like to know if someone has a simple solution for doing that.

Hi Ruth, on my charger it is compatible from 110 to 240, just need the ends to plug in, which I have. My DH's previous scooter was an Activelite which had the capability to carry an extra battery in the basket under the seat, which was great. The problem with the Activelite is it broke on the hinge, it is very week there. In the US the Activelie is called Featherlite.

Suz

Archived