Info on folding travel scooters?

rascalrider

Hi Judy,

I just want to throw in something to think about before buying your hubbie a scooter without him trying it first. Do make sure it can be returned if it doesn't work for him.

I ordered a cute little travel scooter for me, and when it arrived, I found that I could not bend my legs enough to fit my feet on the floorboard. I had to order a longer scooter, without any kind of bump at the end of the floorboard. I don't know if your husband has trouble with his legs, but if he does, that might be a consideration. If he doesn't, don't worry about it..... :)

I know he'll enjoy the independence that a battery powered scooter or chair will give him.

DesrtDrmr,

Hi again and thanks for the thought. Did your legs get stuck on the tiller handlebars or is it that your knees don't bend? My husband can ride our Honda mower and his knees fit that. Could you clarify that for me?

Thanks,

Hi again Iris,

My husband is from Dover and has relatives in York! We go there alot to visit his mom. Small world isn't it? How do you like living in two places?

It is a small world. Living in two places is interesting to say the least. I keep saying we're getting too old for this, but we keep doing it. It gets harder to remember what we have where!:o

Maybe we'll get to meet one of these days. :) There is a neat store in York on South Queen St. that sells all kinds of scooters. Might be worth going there to see all of the possibilities. It is between Spry and Dallastown, but at the moment, I can't think of the name of it. Something Mobility something.

How tall is your husband? I'm thinking about the knee/foot room as described by another poster. The Go-Go does have limited foot room, but I haven't found that to be a problem for me. Sometimes I let the front part of my shoe go out over the front edge of the scooter. That causes no problems that I can see. Perhaps if I had to use it 100% of the time it would, but like your husband, I can walk around a bit, though slowly and in my case with a good bit of discomfort.

Hope you find just the right fit for him. It will make a world of difference. Keep me posted about your decision.

Iris

Hello JPO,

Glad you got your scooter. Hope it works out for you. Have you ridden it alot? Let us know if you like it. Is there a reason why you didn't buy the Pride Go-Go?

Thanks,

Mainly because we wanted a folding scooter. Also the GoGo is heavier, its heaviest part is heavier, and my wife found it too cramped on her legs when she tried it. On the other hand, its about 1/2 the cost.

Hi Iris,

I've been to York and on S. Queen St., but I don't know where Dallastown or Spry is. Maybe my husband will know.

Hope we do meet some day-maybe onboard a ship!:D

How tall is your husband? I'm thinking about the knee/foot room as described by another poster. The Go-Go does have limited foot room, but I haven't found that to be a problem for me.

Dave is 5'11". So maybe we'd better try some out!

Thanks for your help.

Hi Judy,

I'm only 5'2", but I have a problem with bending my legs 90 degrees.........my feet have to stick out front more. I didn't have trouble with the tiller.............. I would think it would only be a problem if you could not bend your knees 90 degrees...................perhaps if he rides your mower, it will be fine. Some of the scooters have a part that rises up at the end of the floorboard, and those are the kind that I cannot do. Also, I find a 3 wheel scooter easier than a 4 wheeler, for that reason. I, too, can walk a bit, and do walk around the house and yard, but need the scooter for any distance...........malls, hotels, ships, etc.

(OT, by the way, we used to drive through York all the time, right by the barbell sign, when we used to live in Virginia, and drive to New York State, to see DH's family)

Hi DesrtDrmr,

Good to know about the legs and 90 degrees. He doesn't have a problem with that. Just worried now that his legs are too long!:eek: Problems, problems! The PT and OT at rehab used to call Dave "Trouble". They were super! Physical therapists and occupational therapists really helped put him back together again!(Off topic too.):rolleyes:

The trip on route 81 through PA can be a tough one in the winter! We don't like it much as you,re riding the tops of the Appalacian Mountains and the storms come up quickly, freeze the roads, you can't see and then the trucks run and slide over you:eek: ! Do you miss the greenery back east? (Alot off topic)

I'm sure we'll find the right scooter for him.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Hi JPO,

This concerns me:

my wife found it too cramped on her legs when she tried it.

How tall is your wife? Since my husband is 5'11" I'm concerned that he will be cramped also.

Thanks for your help,

My wife is not so tall but she has bad arthritis in both knees so can not bend them so easily. We just came back from several hours at the mall and found no problems going up/down ramps etc. She comments that in her opinion the seat on the FeatherLite Deluxe is much more comfortable than that on the GoGo.

Certainly, if you can find a way to try before buying that might be wise. We intended to do so even though we had gotten a short trial run on the FeatherLite before ordering it (it was on eBay ... we lost the bid but did get a trial run on the scooter). SpinLife said we could return within 30 days as long as we only used the scooter indoors and returned it in good condition in original packaging. We would have to pay shipping (about $65 I think). The packing is pretty complex and I actually took some photos so I would be able to repack if needed.

Thanks John,

I'm looking at Ebay also. That's why I think we should try one first at a dealer to make sure of the fit. There is only one dealer in our area.

Spinlife was great to work with. We bought a folding companion chair from them and we think it's great. Just tired of pushing.

Thank you for all your help and thoughts. Hope your wife's arthritis is feeling better.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mima,

How did your scooter work out on the Alaska Cruise on the Spirit? It looked like you had pretty good weather for your trip. Did you have a regular size cabin or a handicapped one?

We are on the Spirit through the Panama Canal starting 29 October.

Hope you had a great time!!!

IrisF

:) Hi all,

Phil-I don't know what you mean by heavy, so maybe the Featherlite would be good for us.

My husband weighs around 220 pounds. I am tired of pushing him in ports and walking so slowly on the ship. Thought he might be happier motoring along himself. I'm just concerned about his weight slowing down a lightweight, folding travel scooter.

Does anyone out there have any brand recommendations for a person of this size ? Any problems that we might encounter with a small scooter? I really need to be able to lift it myself into our CRV and travel.

You all sound so thrilled with your scooters. Now I have to convince him that he would be happy with one!

Thanks for your time and replies.

Your husband's size will be fine for the No Boundaries scooter.

Judy,

Did you get to the Peak Mobility Store to have your hubby try the various scooters? Or, any other store that sells scooters for that matter. I have seen some pretty big people on the Pride Go-Go. It took me a long time to decide between something small that I could lift into the station wagon myself (or up a high curb). I guess I just thought a "bigger" scooter had to be better. That really is not the case. If you want one for travel primarily then you want the smallest unit that will do the job.

The Go-Go is rated for 250 pounds so I wouldn't worry about DH's weight. If he has leg room/foot room that is really all that will matter. Also, he will need to see if he can propel a scooter with that right hand or if there are some that have a different set-up.

When do you get to York/Dover next? There are a couple places in and around York that he could try out a few. Have a look in the Yellow Pages.

IrisF

Hi Iris,

Yes, we did try out the go go and another brand. My husband fits the go-go just fine. Also, I think I will be able to lift all the pieces myself-4 of them. Hopefully, my husband can lift it with one hand (as long as he can maintain his balance) and I can get the other half. Then we won't have to take it completely apart. Guess we'll find out. Should be getting it next week.

When do you go back to Florida? Do you drive?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Judy,

Glad to hear the Go-Go fits him. I pray that you will both be pleased with it and your travels while using it.

What kind of a vehicle do you have? With my station wagon, I just lift the front wheel onto the back ledge (after locking the front wheel so it doesn't turn) and then use the handle in the back to "guide" it on into the car. That way I am never lifting the whole weight and I don't take it completely apart. I just take the seat and the battery off first.

Yes, we drive - it used to be to save pennies, but now with the price of gas, I'm not so sure it will save any. We don't know when we will be leaving yet though. DH is still getting over his latest surgery. He is feeling much better, but not quite up to par.

Enjoy your travels,

IrisF

Iris-We have a Honda CRV. Higher than a station wagon, I think. I should be ok though. Just have to remember to lock the wheel! Won't know until we try it!

Have a safe drive to FL. Haven't driven there in a long time. We just fly to see my mom. Hope your husband recovers quickly so that you can get out of the cold. It's still in the 90's there though.

Judy

Hi Judy,

I'm so glad you found a scooter that works for your DH. It will make all the difference in the world for you, not pushing, and for him, feeling independent.

We did miss the greenery when we first moved here, but now, when we go back to visit kids (in GA and FL), we just feel that all the trees are in the way, and we can't SEE anything!!! :) Weird, but true................

Hope you have a great cruise!

Hi Dsrt,

This is really strange to me, but it makes sense:

We did miss the greenery when we first moved here, but now, when we go back to visit kids (in GA and FL), we just feel that all the trees are in the way, and we can't SEE anything!!! :) Weird, but true................

Getting really excited about the scooter. Dave is worried that he'll feel funny in the scooter. We'll see. Should get it this week.

Thanks for all your experience and help.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from 34 days on the Star. My little Scootie performed admirably over the cobblestones in Tallin and St Petersburg even though the going was very rough and bumpy. It carried me up the steep hill in Dover leading to the castle ...twice ... sign on walk saying firm gravel paths for wheelchairs lead to a long flight of steep stairs, so went back down the hill, crossed the street and drove up on the other side of the road which seemed to follow a slightly different route. No curb cuts and a major drain on battery made me turn back again as I did not want to risk not making it back to the ship.

The Scootie was easily loaded into the back of vans and into the boot or bay of mini-coaches without taking anything apart. It was also easily loaded onto tender boats. I had to remember to instruct to lift by lifting handle ... not handle on battery pack.

The only problem that I had with the Scootie on the ship was on the double-ramped side doors leading to the outside decks. I could drop down over the water-seal threshhold to go out, but would get hung up on the apex when I tried to get back inside. I would ask a deckhand to lift my back wheels over the threshhold. I could get out on the open deck and to Horizon Food Court by using the center bank of elevators with no problems.

I adapted my Scootie so I could carry my crutches, put my hand luggage on the floorboard and tow my big suitcase. I left my tiny basket home and used a small denim totebag on the tiller for incidentals. I made an extension for the accelerator thumb lever as I found the short one uncomfortable on my right thumb. I made a seatback pocket and seat cushion for added comfort. I carried kitchen trash bags to cover tiller when it sprinkled and used an army surplus poncho to cover me and scooter when it really rained.

The question was asked if I would buy a Scootie again. After using it on these cruises, I would have to say yes. Considering the extremely reasonable price, it was well worth it.

I am working on a small portable ramp to take on my next cruise to the Amazon and Rio de Janeiro. It will ride on the tipper wheel hardware and be anchored to the seat arms.

Judy, I am sure that your husband will love his scooter and be thankful that he has his independence. I could have sold my scooter a dozen times over on my cruises to other envious pasengers! (and residents in the Baltic states) The Scootie is a godsend for me!

Ruth

Just returned from 34 days on the Star. My little Scootie performed admirably over the cobblestones in Tallin and St Petersburg even though the going was very rough and bumpy. It carried me up the steep hill in Dover leading to the castle ...twice ... sign on walk saying firm gravel paths for wheelchairs lead to a long flight of steep stairs, so went back down the hill, crossed the street and drove up on the other side of the road which seemed to follow a slightly different route. No curb cuts and a major drain on battery made me turn back again as I did not want to risk not making it back to the ship.

The Scootie was easily loaded into the back of vans and into the boot or bay of mini-coaches without taking anything apart. It was also easily loaded onto tender boats. I had to remember to instruct to lift by lifting handle ... not handle on battery pack.

The only problem that I had with the Scootie on the ship was on the double-ramped side doors leading to the outside decks. I could drop down over the water-seal threshhold to go out, but would get hung up on the apex when I tried to get back inside. I would ask a deckhand to lift my back wheels over the threshhold. I could get out on the open deck and to Horizon Food Court by using the center bank of elevators with no problems.

I adapted my Scootie so I could carry my crutches, put my hand luggage on the floorboard and tow my big suitcase. I left my tiny basket home and used a small denim totebag on the tiller for incidentals. I made an extension for the accelerator thumb lever as I found the short one uncomfortable on my right thumb. I made a seatback pocket and seat cushion for added comfort. I carried kitchen trash bags to cover tiller when it sprinkled and used an army surplus poncho to cover me and scooter when it really rained.

The question was asked if I would buy a Scootie again. After using it on these cruises, I would have to say yes. Considering the extremely reasonable price, it was well worth it.

I am working on a small portable ramp to take on my next cruise to the Amazon and Rio de Janeiro. It will ride on the tipper wheel hardware and be anchored to the seat arms.

Judy, I am sure that your husband will love his scooter and be thankful that he has his independence. I could have sold my scooter a dozen times over on my cruises to other envious pasengers! (and residents in the Baltic states) The Scootie is a godsend for me!

Ruth

Ruth-Thank you so much for posting! Sounds like you had a fantastic trip. So glad to hear that the Scootie worked out so well! Going to get a poncho for Dave to cover scooter in the rain.

Your adaptations are amazing! What did you use for the tiller adaptation?

Was going to try and tow our suitcases. Maybe take bungee cords to do it.

We are going to the Baltics next August. Glad to hear that it was so accessible for the scooter. You will love South America. Wish we would have had a scooter sooner.

Any problems with planes? What airline did you fly?

Thanks for your report!

• 4 weeks later...

Judy, so sorry for the long delay in responding. I just checked back on this board.

I had no trouble with the airlines. I flew United, SAS and Delta.

I towed my luggage using bungee cords. I found that it must be held firmly against the seat back. My suitcase has four wheels on one end and sits at an angle (E-Z Kart mfg by Samonite / American Tourister). I added rings to the scooter arm elbow joints to attach the bungee cords to. Drive carefully and slowly when towing luggge and make wider turns so it doesn't go squirrly on you!

I extended the right tiller lever only. I used a piece of plumbing metal.... the small metal strap with holes in it that is under the bathroom sink that controls the sink stopper. I lapped it over the existing thumb lever and wrapped it on with a small cord ... around and around very tightly and knotted it. I started by putting the cord through a hole in the metal strap. I then bent the metal at an angle to keep it as close to the handle bar as possible and cut off the excess amount. I then put a short piece of plastic tubing over the metal to make it more comfortable to use. It works quite well ... looks a little strange ... but who cares!

Hope this is helpful to you.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Ruth,

Just returned from our Hawaii cruise. Fantastic! Thanks for the answers. Have to pad the tiller as my husband got a blister as he has to use the tiller with only his left hand. He also towed a piece of luggage across the street from Holiday Inn on the Bay to the San Diego cruise terminal. Everyone smiled at him.

Everything went very well. We had no problems with docks or tenders on this cruise. The officers and tender operators were extremely helpful. When the ramps to the docks were steep, they helped to push a little. The scooter was so wonderful for him! There were so many sights to see that would have been impossible without it. We didn't use the wheelchair at all. I only used it to carry luggage.

We're ready to tackle the Baltics next August.

Thanks for all your help. You are an inspiration!

Hi Judy,

I'm so glad to hear you and your DH had a great time in Hawaii with the scooter! It does open up a whole new world doesn't it? How did he like his new found independence? I know you loved it. It's so nice to have my DH walking beside me instead of behind me pushing the chair. We can actually talk to each other much better too.

He loved to walk the promenade deck and it was great being able to keep up with him and share the views, etc.

Happy traveling, sightseeing and cruising,

IrisF

also an owner of a Pride Go-Go scooter which makes it all possible!!!

Archived