Epic Exposed Restroom Deck 15

brentp

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is well known, . . . but on our recent Celebrity Cruise over Thanksgiving, we were docked next to the Epic in St. Maarten. I took the first picture of the Epic, . . . everyone sure looked like they were having a great time. Notice the smoked glass just below the top deck mid-way down.

NCLEPIC.jpg

As we walked down the Eclipse, we got a much better look at what was behind the glass - it was the Men's Room!!! And, it was in use while we were in port.

EpicBathroom.jpg

We were chuckling quite a bit at how many men walked in, did there thing, and then walked out, . . . all in full view of those of us on the ship next door. And yes, it did appear that most washed when finished!!! :)

Just wanted to pass this along and apologies again if this information is well known. It was too funny to pass on posting this. :)

754689472_NCLEPIC.jpg.1f2755a8f7a241582c964d408f2107d5.jpg

567104545_EpicBathroom.jpg.016476b67ebd7f71818c37bcd3d95751.jpg

That is hilarious!! And thanks, this is the first I've heard about this.

We're on the Epic next fall on the transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami. I'm definitely going to use this restroom in port, do my business, wash, and then wave to anyone who might be snapping pictures like you while we're in port. LOL :D:p

I'm just shy like that!

Edited by stanmoto98

Thanks for posting - how funny! I realize ships are fairly exposed, but wow. I'm sure some men that have used this restroom might feel embarrassed now. Maybe a partition for the urinals is needed? We sail the Epic in March...I'll have to tell my DH so he can moon the next ship. Haha

I used that restroom a couple of times. I was wondering how much someone could see through those windows. I certainly don't see it as an issue, but I have to admit I did chuckle when I saw your pictures. Just some amusing bathroom humor. I certainly don't see why anyone would get defensive about it.

And you should see the view when out on the ocean. It's really quite nice.

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is well known, . . . but on our recent Celebrity Cruise over Thanksgiving, we were docked next to the Epic in St. Maarten. I took the first picture of the Epic, . . . everyone sure looked like they were having a great time. Notice the smoked glass just below the top deck mid-way down.

NCLEPIC.jpg

As we walked down the Eclipse, we got a much better look at what was behind the glass - it was the Men's Room!!! And, it was in use while we were in port.

EpicBathroom.jpg

We were chuckling quite a bit at how many men walked in, did there thing, and then walked out, . . . all in full view of those of us on the ship next door. And yes, it did appear that most washed when finished!!! :)

Just wanted to pass this along and apologies again if this information is well known. It was too funny to pass on posting this. :)

LOL.....thanks for the info! It looks like another brilliant design point of the Epic. What were they thinking?

While we can all laugh at this (or not), I think it would be pretty disturbing if someone's child was seen accidentally exposing himself while just trying to do his business. I know I wouldn't want to see it and I'm sure nobody knows they are being watched.

And people are complaining about airport scanners? :confused: With the way things are today, I'd suggest NCL fix it now before the first lawsuit.

Too funny!

Seriously though, this really is one of those things the Epic should realize and close that bathroom in this situation. I can only imagine that amazing views when you're out at sea but like PP mentioned, a child could use that restroom or a child could be on the other ship and see something their parents may not want them to. It's not like it's the only public restroom on the ship, right? Probably wouldn't too hard to shut down while at sea or at the very least let people know that those windows aren't one-ways!

I encountered a similar "design flaw" when working for the FAA. When a new building was opened at the tech center in Atlantic City, it was quickly determined that when the mens' restroom door was opened to the main lobby area restroom, those in the lobby had a perfect view of the men at the urinals. Additionally, shhhh...don't tell them, but from the old control tower at O'Hare, tower located right in front of the Hilton hotel, at night and with the lights in the control tower cab dimmed, you could see right into the top few floors of the Hilton's rooms. Those top floors guests couldn't see the cab in the darkness, therefore frequently not closing their drapes. Bored controllers, late at night, spent hours entaining themselves with the tower binoculars. You never know.

I encountered a similar "design flaw" when working for the FAA. When a new building was opened at the tech center in Atlantic City, it was quickly determined that when the mens' restroom door was opened to the main lobby area restroom, those in the lobby had a perfect view of the men at the urinals. Additionally, shhhh...don't tell them, but from the old control tower at O'Hare, tower located right in front of the Hilton hotel, at night and with the lights in the control tower cab dimmed, you could see right into the top few floors of the Hilton's rooms. Those top floors guests couldn't see the cab in the darkness, therefore frequently not closing their drapes. Bored controllers, late at night, spent hours entaining themselves with the tower binoculars. You never know.

Lol! Note to self: Always close the drapes!!! Or... be more creative. :)

Personally I think this is hilarious. When we were on the Spirit we were in a suite with the shower with the full glass window. I often wondered how much people could see through the window and I guess now I know. There was a blind that could be pulled down where you could still sort of see out and all of the light still came through. I wonder if this bathroom has the same thing and if so, maybe while in port they should pull down the blinds. I will be showing this one to my hubby just so he can decide whether or not he wants to use this bathroom. LOL.

I agree with the general tone of most of the posters that this is funny and mostly harmless.

But when I see things like this on this ship I have to wonder...Did the designers intend that people using the public restroom be exposed while in port? Or, more likely, did they not think that aspect of the glass wall through? I believe that's the case with a lot of details on this ship. (At least from what I've seen online - I'll see for myself in 2 days.) Its almost like the designers were never on an actual cruiseship before.

We can laugh it off but its kind of embarrassing for NCL's design team, at least it is imho.

SakeDad, that's fine if you are on the Star. Unless you are 7 ft. tall, I don't think anything would be exposed.:) The Epic on the other hand has floor to ceiling windows.:eek: I do think it is kind of funny. You see, I don't have any children, but if my child used that bathroom while in port with those lighting conditions, I'd be pretty mad when I found out about this.

Edited by Jerseyboy1

I question the unfortunate use of valuable space. Why does a bathroom need those windows? Wouldn't it be better to have the bathrooms interior and put a lounge or something by the windows? Hmmm...

(OP: Thanks for the chuckle and for the pics. I've been looking for a good exterior shot of my balcony with the diagonal railing. That's the best pic I've come across.)

I question the unfortunate use of valuable space. Why does a bathroom need those windows? Wouldn't it be better to have the bathrooms interior and put a lounge or something by the windows? Hmmm...

I had that reaction as well. Of the handful of NCL ships that I've been on, I've never been in a restroom with windows. I can't even think of any on an exterior part of the deck; much too valuable space.

Hi Folks,

NCLEPIC.jpg

EpicBathroom.jpg

HAHA I wondered if people would use them while in dock. I used the ladies room while we were at sea and thought the view was gorgeous but I rightly figured if I could see out others could see in! I have often wondered about the suite passengers whose bathrooms have similar views?

Hi Folks,

NCLEPIC.jpg

EpicBathroom.jpg

Bravo, brentp!

Amazing.

Another Epic bathroom.

Exposed toilets and showers in cabins were not enough for them.

They decided to make public restrooms literally public.

Awful.

Edited by lusitanica

You can't see the ocean from the outdoor promenade deck/jogging area, but you can from public restrooms? Fail! Thank goodness NCL stopped at just one of this messed up class.

Edited by coaster

That is hilarious!! And thanks, this is the first I've heard about this.

We're on the Epic next fall on the transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami. I'm definitely going to use this restroom in port, do my business, wash, and then wave to anyone who might be snapping pictures like you while we're in port. LOL :D:p

I'm just shy like that!

Actually, that's the starboard!:D