RCCL raising tipping "guidelines"

Sargent_Schultz

From $9.75 to $11.65/day for standard cabins and from $12 to $13.90 in suites.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/12/09/royal-caribbean-raises-recommended-cruise-tips/?icid=maing|main5|6|link5|30254

Will Carnival follow their lead?

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Certainly they will at some point. On my 2nd cruise in 2004, they were alluding that they needed to look into raising it.

percentage wise that is a lot. However it is still only a guideline.

Personally think the waitstaff is under tipped for guidelines and room stewards over tipped based on the work they do for us. We are neat people and nobody has to pick up our stuff off the floor.

Before anyone flames me we do at least the guidelines.

Carnival was already more than RC, be assured they will follow suit soon.

Room steward needs more money to deliver those heavy soda coupons for platinum guests.

Room stewards?..............Do we have those, I don think I saw one the whole time on our last cruise.

Personally, as long as cruise lines (not just Carnival) are going to use this method of generating the vast majority of their crew's salary...they should change the terminology.

I don't consider this a "tip". I consider it a "service surcharge".

Then I do give "tips" (in the true definition of the word) for extra services they provide.

We were just on a ship where over 1/3rd of the passengers removed their tips. (according to an official on that ship that I know)

Not because they did not get good service and not because they wanted to hand them the money in person....but because they wanted to spend the money on themselves.

Just like folks from England (where tipping is not customary)....there is a culture in America that will not tip.

We have seen it for 100 years here in our area when 30,000 of these individuals descend for a week long convention. It is so bad that professional wait staff plan their vacation for that week. It written about and joked about in the local newspaper. But (IMHO) it is no laughing matter.

However, the English folks understand this American custom and generally adapt. This American group does not.

So many cabin stewards and wait staff worked for no pay on that cruise.

Carnival has got to address this. That is not fair to their employees.

Just like restaurants charge parties of 10 or more an automatic "gratuity"...cruise lines should do the same thing.

If someone has a group of 25 or more, there should be a prepaid service surcharge that can not be removed.

These individuals work way to hard (away from their families for 6 - 8 months ) to be stiffed by a group that wants to spend their money on themselves.

One huge difference between RCL And Carnival .. RCL doesnt automatically add tips, unless you fill out a paper asking to be charged this suggested amount. If you choose anytime dining on RCL its automatically charged upfront, otherwise not.

Carnival just adds it to everyone's S&S .. Im thinking Carnival is already collecting more tips overall with their automatic method.

Room stewards?..............Do we have those, I don think I saw one the whole time on our last cruise.

No we don't have those.

I am sure that you cleaned your own cabin twice a day. Change teh towels, Cleaned the bathroom, filled the ice bucket, etc.

Who cares if you see them. If they do their job right they deserve double what they get.

Personally, as long as cruise lines (not just Carnival) are going to use this method of generating the vast majority of their crew's salary...they should change the terminology.

Then I do give "tips" (in the true definition of the word) for extra services they provide.

We were just on a ship where over 1/3rd of the passengers removed their tips. (according to an official on that ship that I know)

Not because they did not get good service and not because they wanted to hand them the money in person....but because they wanted to spend the money on themselves.

Just like folks from England (where tipping is not customary)....there is a culture in America that will not tip.

We have seen it for 100 years here in our area when 30,000 of these individuals descend for a week long convention. It is so bad that professional wait staff plan their vacation for that week. It written about and joked about in the local newspaper. But (IMHO) it is no laughing matter.

However, the English folks understand this American custom and generally adapt. This American group does not.

Just like restaurants charge parties of 10 or more an automatic "gratuity"...cruise lines should do the same thing.

If someone has a group of 25 or more, there should be a prepaid service surcharge that can not be removed.

These individuals work way to hard (away from their families for 6 - 8 months ) to be stiffed by a group that wants to spend their money on themselves.

NCL has already stepped up and now calls it a service charge and it is almost impossible to remove. Not impossible but almost impossible.

The cruise lines should all make it a non removable service charge, collect it as part of the booking and be done with it. Then if you wish to extend a gratuity you are free to do so, but have no obligation if you don't want to spend any extra.

No we don't have those.

I am sure that you cleaned your own cabin twice a day. Change teh towels, Cleaned the bathroom, filled the ice bucket, etc.

Who cares if you see them. If they do their job right they deserve double what they get.

Double? You are kidding right. They already get twice their value now!

And they should raise it. Those hard working crew members deserve more money too. How long has it been since they raised it last? I hear people asking for a raise in their pay every year. So why shouldn't they get more money too.

RCL said this is the first raise in tipping guidelines in 13 years.

First raise for those onboard in 13 years. Tips are their main source of revenue. Most people on RCL seem fine with it. Im not crazy about it .. as it affects my future cruises .. but it is what it is.

I couldn't agree more. Just add a "service fee surcharge". I would guess that many/most people who stiff the service workers do it not because of poor service but because they want more money in their pocket. Just like wait staff in a restaurant depend on tips for their pay, so do the workers on cruises. Being the eternal optimist, I do not believe that the level of service would decline due to an automatic surcharge. I would hope.

YES. I am not a fan of paying for some ones wages with my hard earned money on my VACATION

cruising still falls under the service industry, like restaurants.

but just try to figure out how much more you will pay when they just attach a 15% service charge to your fare. you'll see how well you were making out.

or worse, change cruising to a non-service or no frill vacation, with no service at all. mom always loved vacations at efficiency resorts. yeah, right.

YES. I am not a fan of paying for some ones wages with my hard earned money on my VACATION

So if you KNOW that the cruiselines pay around $50 a month salary .. I guess you arent planning on cruising any more?? How much of a salary raise do you figure they have to get to cover the $1.90 increase? pp per day

Double? You are kidding right. They already get twice their value now!

I pay the cabin steward 3.50 per day (7.00 if you count my other half)

that is not a lot of money when you consider what they do.

But when you consider he cleans 15 cabins -double occupancy that is a lot of money----BUT not every one tips.

NCL has already stepped up and now calls it a service charge and it is almost impossible to remove. Not impossible but almost impossible.

The cruise lines should all make it a non removable service charge, collect it as part of the booking and be done with it. Then if you wish to extend a gratuity you are free to do so, but have no obligation if you don't want to spend any extra.

Totally agree....well said!

I pay the cabin steward 3.50 per day (7.00 if you count my other half)

that is not a lot of money when you consider what they do.

But when you consider he cleans 15 cabins -double occupancy that is a lot of money----BUT not every one tips.

Exactly. Also no one forces them to work for Carnival. RCL is only raising tips

to attract more workers to work on their malls!

Archived