Loved the Epic. Will I like the Star?

sdmike

My wife is suggesting that we sail the Star to the MR in February. Since the Epic was my first NCL cruise I really don't know what to expect from a ship like the Star. I loved how much there was to do on the Epic and how modern it was. What would I expect on the Star? I know it's a smaller ship and also embraces the freestyle concept, but is she modern? Does she have a lot of places to eat? How's the entertainment?

Finally, how would you recommend that my family of 5 sail for the best price? When we did the Vision to the MR getting a suite for 5 was the most cost effective. On our Disney and Epic cruises it was better to get 2 adjoining rooms.

Thanks guys.

My wife is suggesting that we sail the Star to the MR in February. Since the Epic was my first NCL cruise I really don't know what to expect from a ship like the Star. I loved how much there was to do on the Epic and how modern it was. What would I expect on the Star? I know it's a smaller ship and also embraces the freestyle concept, but is she modern? Does she have a lot of places to eat? How's the entertainment?

Finally, how would you recommend that my family of 5 sail for the best price? When we did the Vision to the MR getting a suite for 5 was the most cost effective. On our Disney and Epic cruises it was better to get 2 adjoining rooms.

Thanks guys.

Think you would love one of the new family suites up on Deck 12. They are HUGE and airy, and have a very nice view. Sleep 6. Granted no balconies, but the floor to ceiling windows are just wonderful. I'm not big on the shows too much any more, but the Oh What a Night tribute was too good to miss. Cagney's is good, as is Endless Summer, and Blue Lagoon has good comfort food. I was totally unimpressed with Ginza this time. Great staff and crew. Well worth a try, especially since she is leaving the MR market very soon.

We loved the Star. So far I think it's been our favourite cruise. It's too bad they changed from the 8 day itinerary, though. Acapulco was our favourite stop. :)

The Star was the first cruise we tried specialty dining on. We were able to enjoy Cagney's, Teppanyaki, and Ginza, all of which we loved. The Blue Lagoon is also fantastic - and from what I understand the menu is very similar to that of the pub on the Epic.

we are booked in the AH-penthouse with Balcony, surrounded by the AJ-family suites.The deals are great right now for Feb 2011. Deck 12 is the pool deck, so you are steps from alot of action, water slides on the pool.I have read a few really good reviews about the

AJ family suites. They sleep 6-they have the sofa sleeper and a murphy bed which pulls down from the wall. You have all the suite perks too. Check out NC's site. You can't go wrong. Dona

Great info. Any opinion on the two bedroom family suite (AB) versus the Family (AJ)? The AB is a fair amount larger, has a balcony and a second toilet, which would be nice. For 6 of us (likely take mother in law) we're looking at $4k for an AJ and $5800 for the AB.

I really like the pictures of the AJ

The two middle DOS are two bedroom/two bath and sleep 6 - for the price you get a LOT of room. Plus the views are fantastic! Not to mention you also get the DOS perks...

Are the DOS perks more than just the regular suite perks (which I'm not too clear on anyway)?

Are the DOS perks more than just the regular suite perks (which I'm not too clear on anyway)?

If you go to the NCL website there is a chart that shows the various suite amenities. One of the DOS perks is that you get 3 bottles of booze (you get to select) and free sodas in your room. It's a nice perk if you a drinker. If the DOS suite is available for your sailing and as previously mentioned, the 2 inside DOS on deck 12 have a small second bedroom and a small 2nd bathroom. All of the deck 12 suites are all brand new as of this summer. But none have a balcony with the exception of 4 "penthouse" suites which only accomodate 4. Regarding general perks, I'd recommend you read some of the prior threads regarding suites services. here is what I have found out about the Star so far:

Suite Perks:

- VIP check-in (i.e you don’t wait inline with the masses)

- priority disembarkation - first off ship including days in port

- Breakfast & lunch privileges at Cagneys (no additional charge and only avail to suite passengers)

- Butler Service; will provide meals in your cabin (more than just room service) for example you can order a meal from the main dinning room (free) or any specialty restaurant (cover charge would apply) and they will set up in your room (breakfast, lunch & dinner). They also bring afternoon snacks each day, keep your ice bucket filled, and do whatever you need them to do inside your room like get you DVDs to watch, etc. however the room stewards are in charge of actually cleaning the room

- Concierge; will make dinner and tour reservations for you - so you don’t have to wait in line

Found this on NCL website:

What exactly does the concierge & butler services include?

Your butler takes care of all your needs within your cabin. From unpacking your bags, if you want, to serving a room service dinner course by course. He is responsible for stocking your cabin and seeing that your cabin is always neat and fresh for you. Unlike a cabin steward who cleans his cabins, butlers supervise the cleaners and take assure that any necessary repairs are made promptly. Your butler is also your best source of information regarding arrival times and little tidbits of info about the cruise.

The concierge is there to take care of any needs you may have outside of the confines of your cabin (although she will inform the butler of any thing you need in the cabin). From making restaurant reservations, booking or changing shore excursions, arranging for rental cars, and assisting in any special requirements you may have. The concierge also maintains reserved seating at the shows and other crowded venues and at the end of your cruise coordinates your debarkation.

Think of these two people as your inside and outside resources for the most enjoyable cruise of your life.

One quick note that many people are unaware of: Your Butler, The Concierge, and the Specialty Restaurant Staff are not included in the Passenger Service Charge,

I am pretty sure the DOS sleeps only 2, I may be wrong, but for sure it does not sleep 6. The side staterooms mentioned earlier are the AB 2 bedroom suites. They do not include the free Booze!

I think the Family suite is perfect for you!

The OS sleep two, but the DOS sleep 4-6 according to the website. I agree though..the AJ sounds like a great option for a larger group. Just wish there was another toilet though. lol. Guess there is always the public one or the gym in a pinch. :D

The OS sleep two, but the DOS sleep 4-6 according to the website. I agree though..the AJ sounds like a great option for a larger group. Just wish there was another toilet though. lol. Guess there is always the public one or the gym in a pinch. :D

YES, the DOS on deck 12 sleep 4-6, all of the other OS sleep only two - but they sound similiar so it's easy to confuse them. Regarding the extra toilet - here is a secret - there is a public restroom on deck 13 that isn't used much, you can go up there for a private moment if your loo is otherwise occupied :) . Also, if you purchase a spa pass (currently $99 per person, per week) you can get access to extra bathrooms and shower facilities. This is what we are planning to do!

YES, the DOS on deck 12 sleep 4-6, all of the other OS sleep only two - but they sound similiar so it's easy to confuse them. Regarding the extra toilet - here is a secret - there is a public restroom on deck 13 that isn't used much, you can go up there for a private moment if your loo is otherwise occupied :) . Also, if you purchase a spa pass (currently $99 per person, per week) you can get access to extra bathrooms and shower facilities. This is what we are planning to do!

haha..we've done that too. We had a spa pass on Epic and that's where I went one night to get ready for dinner because we had 11 people in 3 rooms trying to get ready. :) Even with the split bathroom it was a bit too crowded.

Epic - newest, largest ship, most dining and entertainment options of all NCL ships.

Star - older, smaller, less dining and entertainment options.

Hard to say if YOU would like it. Some love the smaller older ship. Some hate it.

Some love and will only sail the newest, biggest ships and hate th eolder ones.

Good points. We actually loved the Vision of the Seas, which is very similar in size. The Epic is really the first "mega ship" we have sailed. I think maybe the combo of mid-size but with freestyle would be just fine. I will miss the noodle bar on the Epic though. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Hey SD Mike, as of today the AB 11520 is still available for some of the weeks in Feb! So if you are still going - BOOK it! We stayed in the same suite (5 of us - 3 adults 2 kids) and loved it! I haven't been on the Epic <yet>, but have loved all of my NCL cruises. There are 5 or 6 specialty restaurants, Not as modern as the Epic, probably - but in great shape! The Entertainment was actually pretty good - but that was a yr ago. The ports were fun - especially the Tequila tour!! Everyone on that tour became fast friends for the rest of the cruise!! even the unexpected ones!

Karen

Hi Mike...

Star was DH and my first cruise together in 2001 and we became hopelessly addicted to cruising because of her. Star no longer has the forward observation Spinnaker Lounge and that is unfortunate but she is still a beautiful ship. We have not been back on Star but have cruised on her sister ship, Dawn a few times.

One thing I love about the Star and Dawn is when strolling on their public decks in the evening, you will always hear live music as you make your way from forward to aft. The atrium is lovely too with music in the evening.

Star does not have an adults only pool area but the spa is the way to go if you want to get away from the kids. DH and I always look forward to cruising on Star again one day.

Archived