Removing $10.00 per day tipping on NCL

FULLYBLUEYES

I have read in a couple of places a way to remove the automatic $10.00 tipping charge per day on NCL cruises. I would like to tip who I want and how much I want. Anyone out there who has experience doing this please let me know. My family and I will be sailing on NCL Spirit April 1. Thanks:)

I believe you can remove the $10.00 until 5/1 but I'll check the NCL site to make sure. In any case because its freestyle you rarely get the same waiter/busboy so unless you plan to tip as you go you really don't tip the food service people who help you. This is obviously not true of your room cleaning staff. Personnaly I leave the $10.00 on and tip extra. While I am not accusing you of this about 1/2 of the people according to NCL who say they take the tips off to leave cash don't do so. Finally personally I find the $10.00 per day as an easy way to do the minimum but to each their own as the expression goes.

According to previous posts the staff are in favor of the automatic gratuity. Also previous posters have said that even when money is left to individuals it is pooled with the other staff so the staff member you are trying to benefit doesn't get the tip directly. In order to benefit the staff members you find exceptional it is important to write his/her name on the comment card at the end of the cruise. some benefits accrue to staff who are singled out for exceptional service.

I also think the tip included was a great thing. It is a lot easier to give extra if you get exceptional service. The one mistake I made was I forgot to fill out the comment cards that are on each table when dinning and I had some really good waiters. One thing I did notice was that everything you buy on ship with your card has a "autogratuity" which appears on your sales reciept that you sign each time. It seems to amout to 10 % . If I got good service, I added a little something on the line for addt. tip. In the spa that really adds up. On my cruise, I did not encounter anyone that had a bad attitude and everyone was very cheerful and helpful. Gary o.

We left the $10 a day on our bill and tipped extra to the cabin steward and wait-staff. I bought a "refillable soda" mug. I don't think they are use to getting tipped for refilling your soda. I always tipped 50 cents ...and they always looked at me with some surprise and maybe that is why I got prompt service with the soda refills and not ignored as some say they have.

I have read in a couple of places a way to remove the automatic $10.00 tipping charge per day on NCL cruises. I would like to tip who I want and how much I want. Anyone out there who has experience doing this please let me know. My family and I will be sailing on NCL Spirit April 1. Thanks:)

Not sure how you would do that but your really can not remove it anymore unless there is an issue. NCL will fix the problem or adjust the auto fee based on the problem. No more going the last day and saying I had bad service remove it all. Most who did that did not tip at all. Here is the current policy from NCL.com

A fixed service charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account; there is no charge for children under the age of three. ............

In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue through our guest satisfaction program, guests will be able to adjust the service charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced. Our clear priority is to have the opportunity of resolving the issue, when it happens, to everyone’s complete satisfaction.

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#18

I thought the policy would change in May also but I received NCL Dream docs yesterday for March cruise, and according to them the "service charge" is automatically added. It is no longer listed as a tip...the info also states that tipping is no longer necessary or recommended....(With the exception of the autogratuity for bar etc..)

you can have it removed by talking to the reception desk (pursers) but as for tipping who and what you want, with freestyle that doesn't work too well as you will most likely have a different wait staff each night or often anyway. If you try to tip each night you might find yourself spending way more than you think, it you don't tip each meal you are stiffing the help that depends on you for their livelyhood. Most people, unless they have good reason keep the $10 on their card and tip above and beyond to those who have gone out of their way: we usually add a little cash to our room steward, possibly the wine steward and the conceigne if we have one. NMnita

you can have it removed by talking to the reception desk (pursers) but as for tipping who and what you want, with freestyle that doesn't work too well as you will most likely have a different wait staff each night or often anyway. If you try to tip each night you might find yourself spending way more than you think, it you don't tip each meal you are stiffing the help that depends on you for their livelyhood. Most people, unless they have good reason keep the $10 on their card and tip above and beyond to those who have gone out of their way: we usually add a little cash to our room steward, possibly the wine steward and the conceigne if we have one. NMnita

NMnita

Not exactly true anymore. As posted above the new rules are in place. Not sure they are enforced on all ships yet. They will now remove an amount that is representitive of the issue not all so you can say you are tipping in cash.

I like the auto tipping, envelopes were such a pain. I also like knowing that I don't have to keep the extra cash laying around until the end of the cruise.

While we are talking about tipping, maybe someone can help me. We have hired a limo service to pick us up at the airport and drop us at our hotel in Miami. The price includes a 15% tip, which is charged automatically to our credit card. Do we give the driver a cash tip too?

I agree with newmexiconita.

I will be taking a cruise for the first time soon and did a lot of research on these boards. The best info is in an Article . Go to CC home and look up tipping . Under Articles ,read "An Insider's Guide to Cruise Tipping" That helped me make my decisions as to who would get what.

$10 a day gets distributed around the ship. Not an awful lot of money.

Good luck.

NMnita

Not exactly true anymore. As posted above the new rules are in place. Not sure they are enforced on all ships yet. They will now remove an amount that is representitive of the issue not all so you can say you are tipping in cash.

I had read your comment about this and didn't realize it had been put into effect already as it was supposed to be May 1st. Thanks for keeping me posted on things I should know. Take care, NMNita

I had read your comment about this and didn't realize it had been put into effect already as it was supposed to be May 1st. Thanks for keeping me posted on things I should know. Take care, NMNita

I thought is was May as well. I looked for the release but could not find it. I wonder if it said BY May 1 or ON May 1 :cool: Anyway about a month ago the web site was updated to include the new rules. Does not matter to me. Things would have to get very ugly before I tried to pull the tip. In which case I don't think it would be a problem as I would be in the HD office well before it got that bad.

I thought is was May as well. I looked for the release but could not find it. I wonder if it said BY May 1 or ON May 1 :cool: Anyway about a month ago the web site was updated to include the new rules. Does not matter to me. Things would have to get very ugly before I tried to pull the tip. In which case I don't think it would be a problem as I would be in the HD office well before it got that bad.

We sure do agree on that one: I always wonder when these readers come on line and ask about how to remove the tip cause they want to pay in person if these are some of the same who do not tip period or less than suggested. I figure a 5 course meal in a 4 star restaurant in any major city even little ol Albuquerque would cost at least $40.00 per person and that is probably a bit conservative by the time you consider the price of appetizers and desserts today. Anyway that's $80.00 for two which is a bare minimum tip of $12.00. This leaves only $4.00 per day for tipping breakfast, lunch, housekeeping (room steward) and a few others in there. $10 a steal!!!!!! NMNita

Don't want to start another hot spot, but I'm with you newmexicoNita! $10 is the bare minimum for all the staff that are serving you throughout your cruise, many of which you aren't even aware of. Any less than that would be downright rude. IMHO.

Sorry, Cecilia, if I'm out of bounds. Congrats on your happy news, BTW!!

I just want to say I really liked the automatic gratuity. Just one more thing not to have to remember, which is a very good thing.

I can't imagine why someone would want to go to the trouble of personally tipping everyone throughout the cruise. I ust don't think it would work with the freestyle dining.

Maybe there are two reasons for not wanting the automatic gratuity: 1) you feel it is too much money, or 2) you just like the way it makes you feel to hand someone cash.

For me, the amount is fine, and I take no pleasure in doling out cash anyway, so I vote in favor to keep it as it is.

• 1 month later...

Tipping automatically sucks big time. I am sorry to see that they are pulling the plug on us pay for service received folks. The WORST cruises I have ever had were pretipped cruises. I have made it a habit of getting on a ship and Opting out immediately of a system that rewards mediocre service. I have in the past always tipped what I believe to be a far greater amount than required. However I require far grater service. There are specific things that have happened on pay foor mediocrity ships(pretipping) that make me want to pay the ones that serve me.

Tipping automatically sucks big time. I am sorry to see that they are pulling the plug on us pay for service received folks. The WORST cruises I have ever had were pretipped cruises. I have made it a habit of getting on a ship and Opting out immediately of a system that rewards mediocre service. I have in the past always tipped what I believe to be a far greater amount than required. However I require far grater service. There are specific things that have happened on pay foor mediocrity ships(pretipping) that make me want to pay the ones that serve me.

WMy husband and I were not sure we were going to like the pre-tipping because we were fairly certain that the service would be mediocre.

I am very happy to say that we experienced the opposite. We actually had BETTER service than on our two previous cruises. The staff fell all over themselves to make us happy. We always tipped additional, in cash, to the person who was working hard to make our vacation enjoyable. We were always thanked with a huge smile and the excellent service went on as usual.

I think NCL knows what they are doing, and ensuring excellent service so their guests will return is obviously a top priority. What good would it do to put the gratuity at the front, and give poor service? They thrive on repeat business. Also, making sure that their staff is not stiffed by inconsiderate travellers who skimp on tips helps keep their employees happy!

Well I guess I will have to relate a story. About 6-7 years ago a group of us took back to back cruises on Ncl one was the Majesty. The other I cannot remember. On the first cruise which was pay as you go we asked the maitre d for seating together for 12. There was no problem with getting a table for 12 at a specific time I believe 6:30 PM. We got off the first ship in Miami walked across the pier to the second ship which was pay in advance tipping. The maitre'd informed us it was impossible to honor our request even though we told him he could choose our arrival time to avoid the crush of people. That is only one story. Ever since I opt out and get what I want to keep my family happy. We do not cruise small parties. This is a small group coming up in april only 3 cabins. In december we are trying to top 10 cabins on the dream. I shall try opting out then as well.

Well I guess I will have to relate a story. About 6-7 years ago a group of us took back to back cruises on Ncl one was the Majesty. The other I cannot remember. On the first cruise which was pay as you go we asked the maitre d for seating together for 12. There was no problem with getting a table for 12 at a specific time I believe 6:30 PM. We got off the first ship in Miami walked across the pier to the second ship which was pay in advance tipping. The maitre'd informed us it was impossible to honor our request even though we told him he could choose our arrival time to avoid the crush of people. That is only one story. Ever since I opt out and get what I want to keep my family happy. We do not cruise small parties. This is a small group coming up in april only 3 cabins. In december we are trying to top 10 cabins on the dream. I shall try opting out then as well.

6 or 7 years ago on NCl there was no pre paid tips or freestyle. I wonder what line you were on. Try and opt out but read the guidelines first. Not sure how you will tip at the end if you never see the same wait staff again :o

Archived