Slipping standards QM2

cruzadict

Like I mentioned earlier we were just on QM2 twice last month and thought it OK, much like Princess line really, but with slightly less menu choice for us "rowers" and more Britons onboard. That was about it really, much like Princess, and I'm happily going on Coral Princess tomorow which is costing me more per day than Cunard did recently..................

QM2 today doesn't feel like QE2 did a few years ago, that's for sure.

Specially the Kings Court! What a zoo!

With what I pay on Cunard in steerage now, around $75 a day or less, I'm not going to complain about very much though.

Now if I was in the Grills and paying top $ I would have different expectations.

$75 per day? Well I months ahead I booked D8/7 Gty, and base fare plus portcharge/tax was $251 per day. Even the last min sales to "fill empty cabins" were over $108 ppdc, so sorry Griller, I find your fare cost "unlikely"

Perhaps you would like to share with us your secret for being able to cruise for so little, I would love to be able to do that. How did you book, what grade of cabin, where do you live etc?

I know the newspaper on Sundays quote "cruise for only $45 per day" but experience proves these are merely "hooks" to get attention, try to book these and you will be told there are "no cabins at that price now- all have been sold"

Same here.

The lowest Cunard fares each person I’ve ever seen (for a 7day cruise) for 2 sharing a guarantee cabin are:

Inside £649 = £93/$145 a day

Outside £699 = £100/$156 a day

Balcony £799 = £114/$178 a day

I usually reckon on around £150/$234 each person a day for a balcony cabin for two.

Same here.

The lowest Cunard fares each person I’ve ever seen (for a 7day cruise) for 2 sharing a guarantee cabin are:

Inside £649 = £93/$145 a day

Outside £699 = £100/$156 a day

Balcony £799 = £114/$178 a day

I usually reckon on around £150/$234 each person a day for a balcony cabin for two.

Hi Ray,

I just received something last night which was $132 for an inside and $189 for a premium balcony. That is for a seven day transatlantic.. But I live here.

Gail

$75 per day? Well I months ahead I booked D8/7 Gty, and base fare plus portcharge/tax was $251 per day. Even the last min sales to "fill empty cabins" were over $108 ppdc, so sorry Griller, I find your fare cost "unlikely"

Perhaps you would like to share with us your secret for being able to cruise for so little, I would love to be able to do that. How did you book, what grade of cabin, where do you live etc?

I know the newspaper on Sundays quote "cruise for only $45 per day" but experience proves these are merely "hooks" to get attention, try to book these and you will be told there are "no cabins at that price now- all have been sold"

I do belive that when Griller was on the QM2 there was a great offer for the inside, so I would say $75 a day was right, in Fact in the USA they offered the Nov 1st crossing to fill the cabins at even less than that.

If it helps I have a booked a crossing for £699 each way and last year as an add on I got the crossing for 6 days at a mere £250 £41 a day=$44, so yes, Griller took advantage of a great deal.

We sailed for the 3 week voyage back in ocotber and while there was a change over, there no real service problems what so ever , we had a waiter who knew from other voyages and we had the usual wonderful service,in fact I would above we had amazing service, we always have 2nd sitting as well so there is nerver a rush to leave and on many an evening we were there past 11pm.

I am past passenger, just 12 days shy of Diamond, registered with Cunard for offers, but have never received any.

It is true I travel solo, so my fare always has a single supplement (port tax also carries solo supplement so they "catch me " every nickle and dime they can) Even with group rates, I have never found a fare for D8 (lowest of low)less than $200 per day.

As the reviews show, poor service in Britannia on the Caribbean cruise Nov 27 is the big topic,quality of food or entertainment can be subjective, but orders not arriving, incorrect orders, "backchat" from waiter"that is what you ordered", or "that is not here" (when it is clearly on the menu) all these are facts not opinions.

Any one know where Cunard "picked up" these new staff,-off street corners ?

I am past passenger, just 12 days shy of Diamond, registered with Cunard for offers, but have never received any.

It is true I travel solo, so my fare always has a single supplement (port tax also carries solo supplement so they "catch me " every nickle and dime they can) Even with group rates, I have never found a fare for D8 (lowest of low)less than $200 per day.

As the reviews show, poor service in Britannia on the Caribbean cruise Nov 27 is the big topic,quality of food or entertainment can be subjective, but orders not arriving, incorrect orders, "backchat" from waiter"that is what you ordered", or "that is not here" (when it is clearly on the menu) all these are facts not opinions.

Any one know where Cunard "picked up" these new staff,-off street corners ?

Hi Lynn,

With all due respect here. Why on earth do you still cruise with Cunard.

With all the complaints that you mention l would not even consider another voyage with them.

Our last trip on QM2 in QG was a complete debacle in every way, from butler down to the dining room. So much so that we cancelled our QV voyage this year as l am not prepared to pay top dollar for poor service and food on this line any more.

Moreover, it is becoming increasingly obvious from reading this board that more and more people are becoming very much disenchanted with the so called White Star Service, which from what l am reading, has become a myth.

We all have views, different standards and indeed expectations, and so be it.

However, my expectations...Cunard now cannot meet.

My thoughts here are not to provoke arguement or discussion, just my own opinion.

Best

Judy

Hi Lynn,

With all due respect here. Why on earth do you still cruise with Cunard.

With all the complaints that you mention l would not even consider another voyage with them.

Our last trip on QM2 in QG was a complete debacle in every way, from butler down to the dining room. So much so that we cancelled our QV voyage this year as l am not prepared to pay top dollar for poor service and food on this line any more.

Moreover, it is becoming increasingly obvious from reading this board that more and more people are becoming very much disenchanted with the so called White Star Service, which from what l am reading, has become a myth.

We all have views, different standards and indeed expectations, and so be it.

However, my expectations...Cunard now cannot meet.

My thoughts here are not to provoke arguement or discussion, just my own opinion.

Best

Judy

I agree with your comments , i would never travel with any ship that gave such poor service and my goodness Lynn really has had a tough time since we sailed together last year, I have been lucky, yes, sometimes there has been the odd hiccup, nothing too bad, nothing that was not put right, I have never had a waiter "Backchat" me and not put up with it either, in fact this when I was chatting to the hotel manager I prasied the staff highly, I have always spoken to all the crew in a nice way and I have always had back the best service, we even had our room stewardess off er to unpack for us, D6 BTW, service was amazing, or maybe I am easy to please

I was on the November 16 trip, in Britannia, and had excellent service in the evening for dinner (at a table of 9 fairly demanding and diverse people) and also had the best steward I have every had on QM2 or otherwise. It was a most enjoyable trip (for me).:)

At the few lunches I had in the dining room, with different staff, there was some variation in the level of skilled service, but nothing rude or inappropriate. Perhaps a little slower, and slower, less clear communication/reactions. But I actually was surprised and pleased overall at how good the service was, knowing that there had been quite a migration to QE for the launch there.

I am so sorry to hear that some others have had less than stellar experiences recently, but did want to weigh in here, since at the moment (except for Rob here), there does seem to be a fairly negative balance and perspective on this posting. :confused: I have friends (twelve, in fact) who were on the Nov. 27 trip. The only two who were disappointed in their experience, or had a bad thing to say about their trip were the two who were in QG. People often may be less likely to post about a good experience rather than a complaint. And the complaints people have expressed are very valid and concerning. :(

I would just hope that people (on this posting and reading this posting) will recognize or at least consider that this does not necessarily mean that these are universal/across the board problems.

I am so sorry to hear that some others have had less than stellar experiences recently, but did want to weigh in here, since at the moment (except for Rob here), there does seem to be a fairly negative balance and perspective on this posting. :confused: .

Forgive me asking but can you point out exactly what is negative about my posts? Or come to that, those of the Real PM!

I've been on one. And overall, everything was excellent. If things really have gone downhill, to reach the standard I experienced, than I have no comprehension of just how amazing it must have been. For the life of me I can't imagine what's missing? Did the staff spoon-feed the guests? Was dinner accompanied by huge lines of free Coke? What did I miss out on?

Just a response.

No, they wouldn't have given free Coke - you need the soda package for that.;)

I paid £80 per person per day in the summer on the QM2 for a back-to-back TA in a D6. That was with a cruise travel agency; when I checked the same deal on the Cunard web site, their online price was £1500 more for exactly the same thing. So that £1500 paid for my bar bill !!!

...when I first started cruising in 1980. On the other hand, if I remember correctly, prices are nearly the same and in some cases lower...

So, if you get less, and pay the same, the price has gone up then.

That's like saying the price of your box of cornflakes over the last 10 years has stayed the same, but the amount of cornflakes in the box has halved.

So, if you get less, and pay the same, the price has gone up then.

That's like saying the price of your box of cornflakes over the last 10 years has stayed the same, but the amount of cornflakes in the box has halved.

Well, I pesonally don't think I get less, but that is me. Everyone goes on a ship for their own reasons. Mine is purely to enjoy being on a ship and to me, the QM2 is one of the most beautiful ships built, so I get everything that I would ever want.

You see, I really believe if you are looking for the best food or the best bed or the best service you go to a five star hotel. If you are looking for a wonderful voyage, then you go on a beautiful ship and enjoy that "ship" aspect of it. All the rest re nice little perks. But as I said--that is me!

Well, I pesonally don't think I get less, but that is me. Everyone goes on a ship for their own reasons. Mine is purely to enjoy being on a ship and to me, the QM2 is one of the most beautiful ships built, so I get everything that I would ever want.

You see, I really believe if you are looking for the best food or the best bed or the best service you go to a five star hotel. If you are looking for a wonderful voyage, then you go on a beautiful ship and enjoy that "ship" aspect of it. All the rest re nice little perks. But as I said--that is me!

And me too!

And me too!

After 40 years of travelling on (real) ocean liners & cruise ships - I yearn to be on a promenade deck & sailing through all types of sea conditions in all seasons....being at sea not only makes me happy - it has comforted me many times.

The ships, service & food have drastically changed - but if I can find a cup of hot coffee or tea & the most basic of food & a good bartender to take care of me I'll be back.

All the rest is optional for me...give me a group of real sailors and just let go to see where we end up!!!!

Full moon, smooth seas to all!!!

After 40 years of travelling on (real) ocean liners & cruise ships - I yearn to be on a promenade deck & sailing through all types of sea conditions in all seasons....being at sea not only makes me happy - it has comforted me many times.

The ships, service & food have drastically changed - but if I can find a cup of hot coffee or tea & the most basic of food & a good bartender to take care of me I'll be back.

All the rest is optional for me...give me a group of real sailors and just let go to see where we end up!!!!

Full moon, smooth seas to all!!!

Thank goodness there are a few of us out there that really appreciate a ship for what a ship is meant to do, transport us through the very large, very mystical sea. There is nothing in the world like it!!!:)

Everyone goes on a ship for their own reasons. Mine is purely to enjoy being on a ship and to me, the QM2 is one of the most beautiful ships built, so I get everything that I would ever want. You see, I really believe if you are looking for the best food or the best bed or the best service you go to a five star hotel. If you are looking for a wonderful voyage, then you go on a beautiful ship and enjoy that "ship" aspect of it. All the rest re nice little perks. But as I said--that is me!

Couldn't agree more, well said!

Very best wishes

Very true, and those perks always are always welcome when they do turn up

Forgive me asking but can you point out exactly what is negative about my posts? Or come to that, those of the Real PM!

-------------------------

Oh, dear. :( Would never (mean to) offend you, Capn, nor others, including Real PM, whether positive or negative, and am dismayed if I have done so. :o Your posts on the overall CC boards are quite delightful, informative and balanced, and absolutely come out very positive. :) You happen to have very few posts on this particular posting, and they were more on voyage costs, or so I thought. Perhaps I should not have singled out Rob's post, but it was the most recent one that seemed more positive, and I hate to see people write that, based upon the posts they will no longer travel on Cunard. :)

I have just been offered a TA round trip on QM2 in a guaranteed D8 at £85 per day per person for dual occupancy, for single occupancy it is only £140 per day.

In US Dollars that is $132.60 per day double occupancy, for single occupancy it is $218.40 per day. I assume that the port charge (New York/Southampton ) and taxes will add approx $400 to the total for single occupancy. Total bill for me therefore would be 7x218.40=$1528.80 + $400 approx=$1928.40 Divide this by 7 and you get $275 per day singe occupancy for a D6 Gty. TA

This is a long way more expensive than $79 per day total quoted in another post , that paying so little the poster did not mind indifferent service in the dinning room.

Maybe I am difficult but at $275 per day I do mind indifferent service at dinner (I know with open seating at lunch and breakfast service can be slow)

In US Dollars that is $132.60 per day double occupancy, for single occupancy it is $218.40 per day. I assume that the port charge (New York/Southampton ) and taxes will add approx $400 to the total for single occupancy. Total bill for me therefore would be 7x218.40=$1528.80 + $400 approx=$1928.40 Divide this by 7 and you get $275 per day singe occupancy for a D6 Gty. TA

This is a long way more expensive than $79 per day total quoted in another post , that paying so little the poster did not mind indifferent service in the dinning room.

Maybe I am difficult but at $275 per day I do mind indifferent service at dinner (I know with open seating at lunch and breakfast service can be slow)

The rates include all taxes. I have never had indifferent service.

Archived