Dive Knife ??

J&KCruiser

Being a new diver and knowing of security on ships and planes, do you take a dive knife with you for scuba safety?

How do you handle Security for carry on airplanes?

What about getting on and off cruise ship?

Is it worth the trouble when doing group dives?

Thanks

John - new at this

Leave the knife at home. You will not need it. If you bring a knife, you will have to check it with security. When you go ashore for diving, you will have to ask someone from security to get your knife for you. If the security office is at the bow of the ship and you are leaving the ship from the stern, they will have to walk the length of the ship, twice, to get your knife and bring it back to you. I have seen someone almost miss their dive boat because they had to wait for their dive knife.

I'd say more than half my diving is done in the Caribbean. I have seen mono-filament once. It was well wrapped around the reef and not a hazard. The dive guide said it was safer to leave it. Removing it would damage the coral. I suspect the locals either know not to leave hazards in the water or they remove them whenever found.

Absolutely correct plus many islands now prohibit carrying knives at all because of the potential risk to the coral, just as they proscribe gloves.

If really worried about getting tangled in some fishing line, carry a nail clipper :D

In 30+ years of diving I've used my knife for two things: banging on my tank to make sound to get someone's attention; and, popping open a post dive beer when the tab broke.

P.S ..... discussed at length a few weeks ago .... search is your friend

Leave the knife at home. You will not need it. If you bring a knife, you will have to check it with security. When you go ashore for diving, you will have to ask someone from security to get your knife for you. If the security office is at the bow of the ship and you are leaving the ship from the stern, they will have to walk the length of the ship, twice, to get your knife and bring it back to you. I have seen someone almost miss their dive boat because they had to wait for their dive knife.

I'd say more than half my diving is done in the Caribbean. I have seen mono-filament once. It was well wrapped around the reef and not a hazard. The dive guide said it was safer to leave it. Removing it would damage the coral. I suspect the locals either know not to leave hazards in the water or they remove them whenever found.

I just took my dive tool with its stubby blade (three inches?) on my cruise and had no problem with security. The sheath is riveted to my bc so I decided to see what would happen. They never questioned it, although once they wanted to see in my regulator bag. Of course, it goes in the checked luggage on the plane.

Dive knives.....

What recreational diver actually needs one?

I have been on dive boats and seen people strapping on so much equipment that I wonder if they just forgot the scooter or opted to take just the "necessities!"

From inflatable sausages and every other known signaling device short of fire, to the aforementioned knife, you are on a tourist dive, led by a local divemaster on dive sites known for their aesthetic qualities over their level of "danger." Having watched one fellow strap on three (3) knives for a dive on Palancar reef in Cozumel, I began to wonder if he might not be some sort of underwater serial killer. LOL

Unless you are planning your own dive and diving in a known hazard area where the risk of getting caught in fishing line or other hazard, then really, why the knife?

You should always have some kind of tool with you to cut line, whether it's a dive tool or EMT shears. I agree that a large knife is overkill much of the time, although it's handy for opening Pacific oysters to eat while diving. ;)

A wise diver always has some kind of signaling device, also. I'm a recreational diver who pushes the limits of recreational diving much of the time. I don't care if I'm with a well-equipped divemaster, I want to be safe in case we get separated.

I don't dive the ships' excursions and I normally arrange for an advanced dive, along with my dive buddy. I carry my dive tool, a small safety sausage that goes in my pocket, a compass, and a whistle.

Nice pair of EMT shears is all you will need mine are in a little pouch attached to the webbing on my BCD and security never batted an eye at them and it's nice to have a pair of scissors since you don't know when they will come in handy on the cruise. I also recommend some type of safety sausage marker bouy you never know when and what may happen if you have to ascend away from the boat in ruff seas and the sausage may be the diff between the boat picking you up and you making long surface swim in ruff seas.

Archived