The Sanctuary

nhcpl57

On the Crown, there is a pool which is right by the Sanctuary, although not strictly dedicated to the Sanctuary. With regard to the question of getting sun, on the Crown, there is one section of the Sanctuary that is totally shaded and a smaller section that is totally in the sun. You choose your chairs, although it was our experience that you kept the same chairs for the entire length of your cruise, if you did the full cruise pass, and could not change from sun chairs to shaded ones, or vice versa.

• 6 months later...

I apologize if I missed this on the several sanctuary threads that are active right now. Reading the threads has me strongly thinking about booking the sanctuary for my wife and I when we board Caribbean Princess soon. A couple clarifications are needed though...

1. Is there a full bar available in the sanctuary, or can you only get the "healthy" drinks that the Princess site talks about? If they'll get the drink for you, does the $3 delivery charge apply? Can we bring a drink in that we got at another bar?

2. Does the $3 delivery charge apply to the "healthy" food they mention on the princess site?

3. Can we bring other food to our reserved loungers ourselves (i.e. pizza, burgers, or from the buffet)?

I'm not trying to avoid the $3 charge if we want something, but just wondering how restrictive they are.

EDIT: Here is the link to the princess site: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/daytime_activities/day_sanctuary/index.html

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

I apologize if I missed this on the several sanctuary threads that are active right now. Reading the threads has me strongly thinking about booking the sanctuary for my wife and I when we board Caribbean Princess soon. A couple clarifications are needed though...

1. Can we bring a drink in that we got at another bar? Yes

3. Can we bring other food to our reserved loungers ourselves (i.e. pizza, burgers, or from the buffet)? Yes

see above in red

I've heard that when you book a seat in the sanctuary for the entire cruise, you only get a half day (for $15). Is this correct?

If you book for the entire cruise you will be able to choose your extra comfy lounger and that will be yours for the whole time the Sanctuary is open. If you like to be far from the madding crowd and totally wind down then the Sanctuary is a perfect place to be. My mother was there for the Panama Canal repositioning and they would move her lounger to ensure she was out of the sun, put rolled towels under her elbows to make her more comfortable, bring her refreshing (non alcoholic) drinks, mist her and even went down to the buffet to get her lunch on a couple of occasions (no charge). She said it was worth every penny and would certainly do it again.

I've heard that when you book a seat in the sanctuary for the entire cruise, you only get a half day (for $15). Is this correct?

No. It is $15/full day if you book it for the entire cruise.

It is $10/half day if you book it just on individual days.

The Sanctuary seemed a waste of money on our 16 day Asia cruise on Diamond. Usually 4 people up there, it was above the pool with the sliding roof which the barkeep who had been there 10 years said had never been open. Basically a balcony around the outside of the pool deck. There was more than enough room below and it never seemed crowded but its sure funny to sea a Russian Whale slathered in grease laying out by the pool in Speedos or a 65 yr old in a 17 yr olds bikini. Sure make you lose weight because you never had an appetite. I felt sick every morning at breakfast and finally went to sickbay and got a pregnancy check. :D:D:D

Interestingly, the Sanctuary on the Diamond Princess is not above the Calypso Pool... that area is the Conservatory and is free of charge.

That is not true. You get the chair the entire cruise.

I understand the Santuary is partially covered...but can you move your own chair from shade to sun? I would like to tan all day but the peace and quiet aspect appeals to me...esp hearing the MUTS would be annoying during the afternoon...is there another pool on the emerald aside from the one MUTS is playing on? When we sailed NCL a few years ago, they always had afternoon poolside activities such as a band, games, etc.

thx!

I understand the Santuary is partially covered...but can you move your own chair from shade to sun? I would like to tan all day but the peace and quiet aspect appeals to me...esp hearing the MUTS would be annoying during the afternoon...is there another pool on the emerald aside from the one MUTS is playing on? When we sailed NCL a few years ago, they always had afternoon poolside activities such as a band, games, etc.

thx!

Besides the Calypso pool which is the one with MUTS, there is Neptune's pool also on deck 15, the Terrace pool aft on deck 14, and the Lotus Spa Pool forward on deck 15. The Terrace and Spa pools are adult only (age 18 and up).

If you have not resevred an outside chair, usually the staff can move yours for you as long as there is sufficient space for it.

thx!

There isn't much room outside in the sun to move a chair to. If you want sun, younger going to have to pick a chair out innthe sun.

You won't hear anything but quiet on the Emerald. MUTS is far away. It's extremely peaceful.

Archived