What to do in Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico

newtocruise11

• 4 weeks later...

Someone mentioned going to the pharmacies to buy their yearly quota of things such as z-packs & other items that are only by prescription in the US. Does that mean they will only sell you so many of an item, or is that a limit the ship allows back on? How do you find out what the quotas are? Or is it simply "My family might use 6 z-packs in a year, so that's what I'll buy"--an out of the hat personal number.

Also, are there any very specific items people shop for in Progreso? I know at some ports people have certain things they look to buy at THAT port----things like nice linens, rugs, hammocks, vanilla, silver jewelry, etc. Any local shops to recommend? Please---not the ship-sponsored shops!

Thanks for any insight here!:D

Someone mentioned going to the pharmacies to buy their yearly quota of things such as z-packs & other items that are only by prescription in the US. Does that mean they will only sell you so many of an item, or is that a limit the ship allows back on? How do you find out what the quotas are? Or is it simply "My family might use 6 z-packs in a year, so that's what I'll buy"--an out of the hat personal number.

Also, are there any very specific items people shop for in Progreso? I know at some ports people have certain things they look to buy at THAT port----things like nice linens, rugs, hammocks, vanilla, silver jewelry, etc. Any local shops to recommend? Please---not the ship-sponsored shops!

Thanks for any insight here!:D

We used to buy several 'rounds' of Azithromycin but since my Rx plan allows Z-packs for $4, it is cheaper at home. With that said, if you do not have a physician that will easily call in Rx for you, it will be cheaper to just get it in Progresso. No limits on medications. I buy 3 Latisse' (Lumigan) every trip to Mexico, saves a bundle. If I remember correctly, their packaging is for a basic sinusitis which would be 500mg for 3 days. If you are expecting to treat anything worse than something like sinusitis, you will have to buy 2 'packs' to do so. The smaller pharmacies on the side roads rarely speak English. There is one large pharmacy on the main street, but I can't remember the name of it.

Progresso is very Mayan. The locals even have a different look than say the Hispanics in Cozumel. There is a straw market you will pass when walking towards the beach. Come out of the port area shopping, turn left and walk. It is surrounded by a concrete block wall that I believe was painted pink the last time I was there. The good thing is, you just can't get lost in Progresso. Be adventurous and walk up and down the streets. It is a throw back to what I remember 'old Mexico' as being. Very quaint town. Very sweet people. Very little English, though. But, I digress, anyway the straw market in the concrete block enclosure has some wonderful souviner's (sp?) that you won't see anywhere else because they are more Mayan, this is in addition to many of the 'usual' Mexican souviners. They will bargain with you. I suggest you walk around first and then go back and buy what you really want.

Just a side note, the vendors on the beach can be very intrusive. They are not really rude, they are just trying to make a living but we found it very off-putting the first time at the beach in Progresso. Little kids and adults lined up 10 deep at all times. Unable to even have a conversation. They left with a polite 'no thank you' but then the next in line would step up. After our first visit, we no longer 'settled in' at the first part of the beach where the massages and free loungers are found. We now walk quite a distance down. The further down you go, the less and less the vendors. BUT, you have to know that you will have to pay for a lounger and umbrella. Pretty good trade off for us! Several restaurants down the beach will serve you drinks and food and rent you whatever you want. Also, I suggest you pay as you go. Like I said, not great English speakers and our first time down the beach we were double charged for the loungers and it was not easy communicating that.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Progresso!

• 1 month later...

I'm headed there next week. For the bus ride from port into Merida, is it still $2? Can you pay with dollars, or do we need to get Pesos? I have 4 "early 20s" that will want to check out the city on their own. Do a little shopping and maybe get some local food. Sounds like it should be safe for them. Once in town, is it easy to find the bus back to port? My kids don't speak spanish.

Anyone done the Uxmal excursion through Carnival? Was there any shopping time, or was it just time for bus ride and ruins tour?

Thanks for any info!

• 1 month later...

I agree with Floatingaway. We stayed in Merida for 10 days exploring ruins and we took public transportation everywhere. We boarded a bus(company called Also I think) that was like Greyhound, and went to Progreso. We met such interesting people. We went back 3 times. I am looking forward to being there again in Oct. The food is excellent and shopping is decent.

• 3 weeks later...

I see where there have been many mentions of renting loungers/chairs and tables. Do you HAVE to rent something to access the beach? I was planning on just bringing a couple towels from home and beach bumming it like we do any old time we hit the beach.

• 4 weeks later...