What to do in Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico

newtocruise11

Can someone post directions from the Square in Merida to the bus station?

I just read a recent review that said they got a $20/hour massage in Progreso. :)

I can't remember the street name, but it's one of the main one's around the square....the bus station is 2-3 blocks down that same street....it is NOT hard at all to find the bus station....and there's lots of shopping along the way...

As for the massage.....On the beach they wanted $35.00 last week when we were there....We found some very nice young ladies one block OFF the beach who gave the most enjoyable 1 hour massage for $15.00.....I gave her a $20.00 and told her to keep the $5.00 for a tip....she was well worth it....They had 9 beds in this palapa and every bed was full....LOL.....I was so relaxed, I didn't know if I would be able to walk back TO the ship:D

Ok, I just went and looked it up on Frommer's....The street is Calle 62.....I'll try to insert the link for the map I pulled up....you can see it says Auto Progresso Terminal.....

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/487303-mp0803meratt.jpg

Edited by MacysMimi

My husband and I visited Progresso last year. We didn't do an excursion as we really didn't want to do much but get off the ship, buy some cheap tequila and get back on. We did shop in the port area where there are maybe 20 at the most shops set up.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION...there is a guy at the Corona beach that has a whistle, he is a local and not a tourist, he carries around a bottle of water, not really water, but some pink liquid it in. When we walked in the shopping area he was blowing his whistle and grabbing women and pushing their heads back and attempting to pour the liquid down their throats. On our way back he grabbed me, and if it weren't for my husband, he would have gotten me too. Now I don't really think I was in any danger per say, but I really don't think it's all that great of an idea to have some unknown liquid poured down your throat. Like I said, just a word of caution.

• 4 months later...
There's beaches, bars, restaurants, shopping, the double-decker bus. More like real Mexico and less expensive than the 51st state - Cozumel.

Here is an example of a day in Progreso with no shore excursions. Start by jumping on one of the free shuttle buses to the city. They run continuously.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/fantasy_c_07/progreso/p.htm

Thank you so much !!! Such beautiful pictures. I cant wait to go !

• 2 years later...
Has anyone done the reef beach resort? I know it is 45.00 with autoprogeso. thanks

I have, but I don't think they go to the Reef Club anymore....I think the price increased. Last summer we went to Technotel beach with AP and we loved it!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

I've seen people post about a beach to relax at right off the pier. Can anyone tell me about this. We don't want a 5 hr long excursion as we will be with our 3yr old. Just a place to kick back and relax enjoy the scenes, and mostly a place good for a 3yr old. Any help would be great, and we don't mind doing a little shopping.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen people post about a beach to relax at right off the pier. Can anyone tell me about this. We don't want a 5 hr long excursion as we will be with our 3yr old. Just a place to kick back and relax enjoy the scenes, and mostly a place good for a 3yr old. Any help would be great, and we don't mind doing a little shopping.

The beach at the pier is very pretty, but we never stay there because the vendors do not leave you alone. Not a relaxing beach day. You're better off to book an excursion.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

The Corona Beach Party is right at the end of the pier. Personally I wouldn't take a 3 year old but I guess it depends on how they handle the noisy crowds on a ship.

If you look at the google maps view you can see there are a bunch of umbrellas on the beach. The city owns the beach, it's free for anyone to use but those umbrellas and tables are setup by restaurants across the street from them. You can take a seat at any of them and someone from the restaurant should come out and serve you.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow... were we in the same Progreso? I thought it was a lovely place... not glitzy and commercial like Cozumel or Grand Cayman but friendly and tropical.

The beach is gorgeous...

Ecstasy192.jpg

Ecstasy197.jpg

Ecstasy211.jpg

and security was never an issue...

Progreso is one of my favorite ports of call... I'd go there at the drop of a hat and that hat will drop in February...

:)

Mach, if you see this... Where exactly is this beach? I remember the beach in Progreso as brown and ikky.

Ill have to check my own signature--maybe it was december? Maybe that makes a difference?

can you just walk around the area and shop, eat and maybe sit on the beach for awhile, or should we sign up for a beach excursion ?

We are going in a few weeks and it's my daughter and myself and taking a 15 yr old granddaughter. Really don't want to go to the ruins. Would like to just see the area if it's safe for us.

any info greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow... were we in the same Progreso? I thought it was a lovely place... not glitzy and commercial like Cozumel or Grand Cayman but friendly and tropical.

The beach is gorgeous...

Ecstasy192.jpg

Ecstasy197.jpg

Ecstasy211.jpg

and security was never an issue...

Progreso is one of my favorite ports of call... I'd go there at the drop of a hat and that hat will drop in February...

:)

Ohhhh I feel much better about our cruise stop there. Did you take an excursion or off on your own? How were the locals while you were there?

Edited by MNCruizer1