Port Canavaral and Disney

zetachi

So we are on the Presidents Week sailing of the Jewel out of NY making a stop at Port Canaveral.

We are looking for an excursion and thinking about the Disney one. Boat docks at noon leaves at 10.

Anyone done this excursion during this time period or just Disney on a Tuesday during Presidents week?

Is it worth the price? it would run us @ $650 for 3A/2C would we get more then 3 or 4 rides are the lines more then say 1 HR?

Thanks

Here is my two cents...take it for what it's worth :D. I have not been on a cruise with a stop in Port Canaveral; however, I have embarked there after flying into Orlando and driving to the Port. It was about a 45 minute drive, but I would think waiting to get off the ship, get transportation to Orlando etc may be close to double that time...then the time to get back to the ship...so if I'm calculating correctly, you have 10 hours in port, 2-3 of those would be travel to and from Orlando...so you may have 7 hours at Disney, if that, depending on when you have to be back on board. We went to Disney last November, and we spent all day at Magic Kingdom and didn't ride everything. Some lines were 60-75 minutes, though the majority were shorter. If you want to do anything like visit the characters or the Princesses you may feel rushed for time. Also we loved the night activities at Disney, and I think you'd probably miss those. I personally think the price you'd have to pay for the excursion is a lot for what you are getting...if it were me, I wouldn't pay that much for such a short time at Disney. Again, just my humble opinion.

The Universal parks are also in Orlando and to me seem a bit more relaxed and a little cheaper. If you are willing to go out on your own, there are car rental agencies right at Port Canaveral, so you wouldn't need to rely on the ship for transportation to Orlando. Just make sure you watch your time since it is about an hour away.

I live here and do the parks all the time and think that 5 or 6 hours is plenty . . . but I live here and go all the time NOW. We went yesterday with the kids (college age) and spent 13 hours . . . it was nearly empty and we sure did not see everything altho I admit we hopped 'tween two parks.

You can not fully experience any Disney or Universal park in 6 hours and that's about all the ship excursion is going to allow you. I routinely go for 6 hours but have a pass and know what I want to see (or am a chap' for the marching band trips!) If you DIY you will maybe get a smidge more but risk the "other than ship excursion sailed without you" story. (There is only ONE road from the port to both of these park areas and if there is an accident . . . )

If this is the one and only time you'll be close to Disney, go to the Majic Kingdom and be happy to ride one or two rides. OR recognise this will be the one and only time you will be close to the birthplace of American space travel and consider exploring that, while remembering you MAY be able to arrange free tickets (basic admission) thru your congressman.

The crowds at Disney during President's Week are INSANE! It's considered a peak time, and the crowds will be a 10 out of 10. That means the lines will be 60-120 minutes at best on the popular rides. FastPasses will be gone early in the day.

That being said, if you're a Disney fan, sometimes it's great just to be in the park and experience the atmosphere. Watch the parades, see the shows, ride a couple of rides, do some shopping. I would do it, but I'm a huge Disney fan and would not mind only getting on a few rides as long as I could be in the Magic Kingdom for a day. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am also planning to head to Disney on my upcoming cruise on the Enchantment. I would love to know of anyones experience with the RCI shuttle to Disney.

I have free tickets to the park, so i am not concerned of not seeing everything...i am look at it as a Disney sampler before a week long trip to Disney in the future :D

Disney is insane during a holiday period. For the high price you will pay you will be standing on long line after long line to see the attraction (the lines are long). Im a florida resident and i find 5 to 6 hours on a slow day is hard to take in the entire disney experience at a leisure pace. The kennedy space center and cocoa beach are the ports only attractions. Daytona beach is about 60 miles north .

I vote for Space Center.

Write your congressman and senator, telling him about your upcoming FAMILY vacation.

Then ask him for the free passes to get in the center. Our elected officialls have the ability to obtain these for you.

You would have to get your own transportation.

But, it would save you money.

Safe travels

Archived