Dumb Question about Molecular and Martini Bars

Bobby Dee

I know, I know. There's no such thing as a Dumb Question, only regular questions from dumb people. But here goes.

I bought a premium package, because I like wine, Martinis, imported beers, and single malt scotch. My wife doesn't drink beer or wine. Everything she likes to drink is available on the Classic package, so that's what we bought for her. I've never been on an S class ship and I've read all these raving revues about the Martini and Molecular bars. I'm looking forward too visiting this frozen topped bar and having a martini there; and also trying one of those concoctions made with liquid nitrogen.

My question is; can my wife get normal drinks, like perhaps Vodka and Cranberry, at those bars? Am I going to have to go to two different bars to get our drinks?

Yes you can get regular drinks at the specialty bars.

Actually, they can get a regular drink at the Martini Bar but not the

Molecular Bar. That bar is the 14 drinks that are listed on the menu.

A regular drink....scotch & soda or vodka & tonic (just examples) are

not served in the Molecular Bar.

The Molecular bar is about a 3 minute walk upstairs from the Martini bar via a quick walk up the atrium stairs on the Eclipse. It should be pretty easy to stop by that bar, grab your wife's drink and proceed on to the Molecular bar. I did that exact walk about, I'd guess, 15 times with my sister a few weeks ago. That is where we always went for before dinner and then enroute to the shows. Same exact scenario as what you described. Not a problem at all...promise! :-)

The Molecular bar is supposed to only serve the 12 special drinks on the menu as they are very time consuming to make and the bar is not fully stashed with regular ingredients that are needed for some cocktails, but not for the 12 on their menu. Sometimes if they are not busy, they will make an exception and make something else for you, but in general people are not supposed to order drinks not on their menu. I believe there may be a sign somewhere at the bar or on the menu advising this.

In January on the Solstice I was able to get a cosmo at the molecular bar. Maybe that has changed.

Hi there,:) maybe he was not real busy at the time. But I was on Solstice

and Eclipse and the bartenders tried to be extremely courteous but did

not make "regular drinks"....some of the folks wanted wine/beer, etc

and were not always happy about it. Oh well~ It really is a Specialty Bar.

Personally, I go there because of what they serve:D.

The Molecular bar is the 14 drinks that are listed on the menu.

A regular drink....scotch & soda or vodka & tonic (just examples) are

not served in the Molecular Bar.

Not quite as cut and dried as your answer suggests. We have always been served alternative cocktails, soft drinks and even a beer at the Molecular Bar. The bar tender just telephones a colleague who brings the drink to the bar.

Not quite as cut and dried as your answer suggests. We have always been served alternative cocktails, soft drinks and even a beer at the Molecular Bar. The bar tender just telephones a colleague who brings the drink to the bar.

It was as cut and dried on both of my sailings. It was so busy the bartenders could not phone other colleagues. So I guess the answer

is~it varies cruise to cruise.

It was cut and dry on my sailing. There was a notice stating that the Molecular Bar only served the specialty drinks on the menu. I went to the Molecular Bar a few times and often observed people trying to order drinks not on the menu. If the bar was not busy, the bartender tried to accommodate these special requests, but most of the time it was pointed out that the Molecular Bar only serves the drinks on the menu.

It was cut and dry on my sailing. There was a notice stating that the Molecular Bar only served the specialty drinks on the menu. I went to the Molecular Bar a few times and often observed people trying to order drinks not on the menu. If the bar was not busy, the bartender tried to accommodate these special requests, but most of the time it was pointed out that the Molecular Bar only serves the drinks on the menu.

Hi Gonzo:)...yes, same here too. And some of the passengers were not

too happy about that either and made sure the bartenders knew it:(

I felt quite bad for the bartenders.

Darn it, when I was on Equi back in January practically nobody stopped by The Molecular Bar, we had it all to ourselves :p. Looks like now for my next rip I'll have to compete for a seat. :(

Always empty seats and never a wait last week on Eclipse. Only once did I walk by and see more than 4 people in the area.

Archived