Soda Card/Buying Alcohol from Bon Voyage - Is it really worth it?

mjl1960

With the increase in prices to the soda card, and the pricing of the bottles of booze, is it really worth buying either anymore? By the time you pay for the soda card for soda to mix with a couple of bottles you buy at around $55 each, that would in itself pay for a lot of drinks. We also don't really plan on drinking too much "just soda".

And does anyone know if it is Coke or Pepsi products?

With the increase in prices to the soda card, and the pricing of the bottles of booze, is it really worth buying either anymore? By the time you pay for the soda card for soda to mix with a couple of bottles you buy at around $55 each, that would in itself pay for a lot of drinks. We also don't really plan on drinking too much "just soda".

And does anyone know if it is Coke or Pepsi products?

So you answered your own question already ! :eek: But if mainly drinking sodas...then buy a couple cards...as long as you are drinking 6 or more per day per card, you are probably coming out a little ahead, but not by much. Bring some 20oz. sodas with you...save the $$$

Coke products served onboard :D

It's Coke products on Carnival. We felt our purchase of a bottle of Rum from Bon Voyage was worth it because we carried on the allowed amount of Coke and were able to make our drinks in our cabin. I had bought us both insulated mugs and we took our drinks up on deck with us and it was much more convenient.

It depends on how many alcoholic drinks you normally drink. For me, buying a bottle of vodka $40 ($43 w/tax) from Bob Voyage was well worth it, and I ended up bringing some home. At $5-6 (with 15% gratuity on each drink), for a simple mixed drink ( rum&coke, gin&tonic ), 10 drinks throughout the week has already passed the price of a bottle. You can probably get 20 drinks or more from the liter of alcohol.

You can also each carry a 12 pack of soda on board. And replenish in the ports if you need too. You can also bring Crystal Light packs and mix those with your alcohol of choice (Rum and vodka are the best).

Of couse, Carrnival would rather you buy all your drinks from the bar....your choice.

Buying from Bon Voyage gives us the opportunity to enjoy a drink on our balcony without having to use room service or walk up to a bar and bring it back to the room. Just our preference. :D

And, yes bring your mixer on board -- 12 bottles of soda or water per person.

I don't drink alcohol so I can't answer that portion, but I am a soda addict. I successfully managed with the 12 alotted bottles of soda that I carried on for a 7 day cruise back in October. The trick for me.......bringing plastic bottles instead of cans. That way, if I only drank half, I could put the lid back on and drink later vs. an opened can going flat and being tossed.

fo us-- it would depend if the cruise is a port intensive cruise or do i have a lot of sea days.

and how often you will be in port---

if you are off the ship more then you are on--then a soda card is not worth it for us.

This upcoming cruise-- we have 3 sea days- in port 2 days almost all day.

7-7 and 8am til 10pm. and another 7 -2 (im thinking a long nap here--LOL)

so we will each take a 12 pack with us

I am a Diet Pepsi drinker, I dislike Diet Coke, so that pretty much settles the card decision for me. When you say you can replenish at the ports, what specifically does that mean? Do they count your empties and you can only buy what you drank? Or they have a fixed amount you can bring on at each port (6?)? Or something else?

I am a Diet Pepsi drinker, I dislike Diet Coke, so that pretty much settles the card decision for me. When you say you can replenish at the ports, what specifically does that mean? Do they count your empties and you can only buy what you drank? Or they have a fixed amount you can bring on at each port (6?)? Or something else?

No one is going to keep track of how much you already drank and I don't think Carnival has a written policy of how much you can bring back onboard from each port....I have seen people bring back 2 liters or a 12pack or so....I probably wouldn't overdo it and try to bring back a lot from one port, just in case that one time they try to make a big deal about it, but if you just had a 2 liter or a few cans or something they won't care...

My husband and I do not drink soda anymore, so we'll be bringing Crystal Lights on, when we don't want juice or water.

As for the soda card, back when we did drink soda, I thought it was a good buy, but thinking about it now, I know we didn't get our money's worth. Thankfully now, we don't drink soda, so that cuts out one cost.

Hubby and I do plan to buy a bottle of Malibu for our room so we'll have drinks for our balcony.

One thing to remember about the soda card is it is good at any bar on the ship, just flash them the card and say you want a Coke and there it is. No walking back to your cabin, no keeping it on ice, etc. This convenience has been a part in choosing the cabin location on our upcoming cruise aboard Ecstasy, near enough to the Piano bar to make it a less than 30 second walk from the cabin, far enough away to not be bothered by bar noise all the time.

I don't drink alcohol so I can't answer that portion, but I am a soda addict. I successfully managed with the 12 alotted bottles of soda that I carried on for a 7 day cruise back in October. The trick for me.......bringing plastic bottles instead of cans. That way, if I only drank half, I could put the lid back on and drink later vs. an opened can going flat and being tossed.

I haven't heard of a specified number of bottles of soda that could be brought on board, only that it has to be carried on. I only drink Diet Mountain Dew and if they sold it on board, I would just buy a soda card, but they don't. Is there any regulation that states the size of the bottles if you are limited to 12 (per person??)?

I haven't heard of a specified number of bottles of soda that could be brought on board, only that it has to be carried on. I only drink Diet Mountain Dew and if they sold it on board, I would just buy a soda card, but they don't. Is there any regulation that states the size of the bottles if you are limited to 12 (per person??)?

If you are talking about embarkation then I believe you may not be correct when you say "I haven't heard of a specified number of bottles of soda that could be brought on board, only that it has to be carried on." I have never had to carry the sodas on.

I have purchased 3 to 5 cases of soda and gatorade, added a Carnival luggage tag to each case and sent the cases on their way with our checked baggage. I bring extra packing tape to re-enforce the soda case boxes. They have always shown up in our room when our luggage shows up.

The Carnival FAQ page says:

'On embarkation day, guests may bring a small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages onboard, only in their carry-on luggage.'

I brought on 12 - 12oz plastic bottles. But I've heard on these boards of folks taking 12 20oz bottles. Apparenltly Canival only focuses on number of containers, not ounces. The line is kinda gray I guess. I'd like to hear if someone has successfully taken 12 2-Liters on board, LOL!!:eek:

'On embarkation day, guests may bring a small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages onboard, only in their carry-on luggage.'

I brought on 12 - 12oz plastic bottles. But I've heard on these boards of folks taking 12 20oz bottles. Apparenltly Canival only focuses on number of containers, not ounces. The line is kinda gray I guess. I'd like to hear if someone has successfully taken 12 2-Liters on board, LOL!!:eek:

In Jacksonville 2 weeks ago they don't care how much or what size bottles you carry on. We had a (24) 20 OZ. bottles along with a few 2 litres of ginger ale (mixers) and had no issues.

We also had 4 bottles of wine (B2B cruises) they said nothing even though they did not know we were cruising B2B. They did however search the bag (don't know why) and said nothing when they were done.

If you are talking about embarkation then I believe you may not be correct when you say "I haven't heard of a specified number of bottles of soda that could be brought on board, only that it has to be carried on." I have never had to carry the sodas on.

I have purchased 3 to 5 cases of soda and gatorade, added a Carnival luggage tag to each case and sent the cases on their way with our checked baggage. I bring extra packing tape to re-enforce the soda case boxes. They have always shown up in our room when our luggage shows up.

As per post #4 and #5, they were saying only 12 bottles could be carried on board....they did not specify at embarkation or on a port. This is what I need to know.

But I am completely correct in stating that I haven't heard of such a requirement (limitation of soda) and I have read in many posts here that you are now supposed to hand carry any wine or soda on board. That does not mean a requirement doesn't exist (limitation of soda), but I haven't heard of it if it does exist. And if people can still get soda or wine through checked baggage, that's good for them but I will definately hand carry mine!

I plan on taking 7 2-liter bottles on board, always have, always will (or I'll cruise on a different line). I'd be more than happy to buy their products if I liked them, but until they provide Diet Mountain Dew on board, I'll bring my own. The day they tell me I can't bring my own, then I'll be off to RCCL, HAL, Princess, or some other line.

Based on your signature it looks like the last time you sailed was last December. The rules change earlier this year, around the spring time. Carnival no longer wants you to just slap a luggage tag on your soda, water...etc...and hand it to the porter. They want you to carry it on.

There have been reports that people have put soda in their actual luggage and it made it to their room okay, but if you just slap a tag on it, they won't even take it from you.

This may be a silly question to all of the experienced cruisers, but I'm a first-timer so please bear with me.

I have read a couple of places about people's rooms not being ready when they board the ship earlier in the afternoon. If your room isn't ready and you are carrying on a 12 pack that would seem to be pretty inconvenient. Do they let you drop your stuff in the room and come back later or something?

Thanks!

This may be a silly question to all of the experienced cruisers, but I'm a first-timer so please bear with me.

I have read a couple of places about people's rooms not being ready when they board the ship earlier in the afternoon. If your room isn't ready and you are carrying on a 12 pack that would seem to be pretty inconvenient. Do they let you drop your stuff in the room and come back later or something?

Thanks!

No, they want you to keep everything you carry on with you until your room is ready at approximately 1:30pm. The less you carry on the easier it will be for you, but many people put their beverages in a small carry on luggage with wheels. Depending on what time you board, 1:30pm may come around pretty quickly.

Most ships will have the hallways to the rooms blocked so that you can't go to your room until it is ready. The room stewards need time and space to get their jobs done. It would be very difficult if the halls and rooms were cluttered with luggage that everyone wants to drop off before the room is ready.

The best solution if you plan on carrying a bunch of heavy items (sodas, water, etc.), is to get a rolling suitcase to carry it all in.

The Bon Voyage worked well with us. We don't mix any alcohol with sodas - makes life easier and the liquor tastes better on ice. Those that don't think so per my son: vodka works OK with the lemonade at the buffet.

Not real happy paying $40 for a $20 bottle of vodka but at $6-$8 a drink the math still works. Roughly 33 ounces for $40......

The DH and I head out on the Miracle for my 9th (his 6th) Carnival Cruise.. I would love to have a bottle of JD or CM in the room for him when we board, but I have not seen where you can actually order hard liquor from Bon Voyage... Champagne, Wine, and Drink Coupons are all I can find... Please help!!! :)

Thanks!

The DH and I head out on the Miracle for my 9th (his 6th) Carnival Cruise.. I would love to have a bottle of JD or CM in the room for him when we board, but I have not seen where you can actually order hard liquor from Bon Voyage... Champagne, Wine, and Drink Coupons are all I can find... Please help!!! :)

Thanks!

Just call the BV department. They can help you out :)

Archived