Walking Tour ?

spny84

The tour we planned to take was canceled and nothing else looks good to us. We do not like bus ride tours, are not beach people, the snorkeling from what I read is so-so, and we have swum with turtles so not high on our list. So we are thinking of just walking around Bridgetown visiting the sights like the Synagogue, Pelican Village, Fountains, etc.

Is this a realistic option? and does anyone have a map or self-guide tour document?

Thanks!

The tour we planned to take was canceled and nothing else looks good to us. We do not like bus ride tours, are not beach people, the snorkeling from what I read is so-so, and we have swum with turtles so not high on our list. So we are thinking of just walking around Bridgetown visiting the sights like the Synagogue, Pelican Village, Fountains, etc.

Is this a realistic option? and does anyone have a map or self-guide tour document?

Thanks!

This is exactly what we did when we were there earlier this year.

We just used the map from our cruise ship and it was perfect.

We walked outside the Cruise Ship Terminal and made a left. We then walked across the street so that when we walked into town the ocean and beach was on our right hand side. We could walk on a very nice side walk. We then walked a couple of miles into town and then we crossed back over to the left.

We toured the Synagogue and it was great. And we visited many other sites. We spent a few hours downtown and then came back a similar route.

It was perfect and we had a great day in port on our own.

Here are a couple of pictures from the synagogue.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S1Hz8x7j7qI/AAAAAAAADzo/MtVfUKG0EHg/s1600-h/P1000235.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S1H0S1IqJLI/AAAAAAAADzw/4k-darV08W0/s1600-h/P1000241.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S1HzcIzncUI/AAAAAAAADzg/Jl6ytXVo3sU/s1600-h/P1000234.jpg

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
Keith-

How many miles was it? Hubby and I want to explore Bridgetown instead of doing an excursion...are there any bars/taverns in town?

Not sure if someone who has been there will chime in but I looked into it. The Synagogue is about 2 miles (farthest point) going right when you leave the ship port. The Rum Factory is about 1.5 miles going left when you leave the ship port (though I haven't looked real close, this may be more highway and you may not be able to walk it.).

We are going very soon 29th (Yippeeee!). When do you leave, I can post how it was if you are still around.

Hi mrsd2fan, Since I think you're the only other person to consider walking around. Here are my pre-trip notes, since I may not get a chance to report before you leave (I will try though). Hope this helps you out, have a safe and good trip!

Independence Arch – Sculpture

Da Costa Building – Broad Street almost to Wharf St. – Georgian now a mall 8:30 – 5 pm

Broad Street – Buildings/Shops

Public Library – neoclassical w/ exhibits inside

Montefiore Fountain Square – drinking fountain (boring)

Synagogue – Prince William Henry St past James St – M-F 9-12/1-4 (free)

Queen’s Park – Georgian, art gallery and the Giant Baobab Tree

Pelican Village – Princess Alice Hwy near Bus Terminal – Arts and Crafts Center

St. Michael’s Cathedral – Inland Wharf St. – neoclassical w/ exhibits inside (free)

National Heroes Square – Trafalgar Square w/3 sculptures 200 m east of Parliament bldgs and St. Michaels

Parliament Building – neogothic

Chamberlain Bridge – other side?

Careenage – walkway along water with restaurants/fishing boats

Mt. Gay Rum Factory – 1.5 miles Northwest from pier on the ½ hour tours every hour $6 admission

• 3 weeks later...

This is a follow up, with the corrections in the items we visited. We felt perfectly safe on the trip but Bridgetown is basically a city, not a tourist town. We saw lots of clothing stores and business people. To get into the exhibit places we had to find people to unlock the doors so very awkward. We didn't do the synagogue because after the Parliament Building ($10 for two rooms of plaques to read), we didn't want to pay $25 for something similar. I see on another thread it probably would have been a tour so who knows. We could see a beautiful beach from our ship stateroom probably less than a mile away. So could probably walk to that.

Whatever you decide have a great trip.

Barbados Walking Tour

Independence Arch – Sculpture – near the bridge/arch just past the restaurant on your right is a place to get internet $3 for half hour.

Da Costa Building – Broad Street almost to Wharf St. – Georgian now a mall 8:30 – 5 pm

Broad Street – Buildings/Shops

Public Library – neoclassical w/ exhibits inside (didn't find)

Montefiore Fountain Square – drinking fountain (boring)

Synagogue – Prince William Henry St past James St – M-F 9-12/1-4 (cost $12 per person) - we didn't go in because the first tour we paid for wasn't very good.

Queen’s Park – Georgian, art gallery and the Giant Baobab Tree

Pelican Village – Princess Alice Hwy near Bus Terminal – Arts and Crafts Center –not really much here, most of the stores were closed

St. Michael’s Cathedral – Inland Wharf St. – neoclassical w/ exhibits inside (free – no exhibits, altar was covered)

National Heroes Square – Trafalgar Square w/3 sculptures 200 m east of Parliament bldgs and St. Michaels

Parliament Building – neogothic (exhibit of $5 per person, little history and heroes, two rooms, not sure worth the money)

Chamberlain Bridge – other side?

Careenage – walkway along water with restaurants/fishing boats - pretty

Archived