Comparison of Epic and RCCL's Oasis

coffeebean

OP:

THANK YOU!!

Great post!! I truly appreciate you taking the time to write your experiences/opinions on the two ships. :)

I agree with you, Mike. I much preferred the storage on Epic to the additional living space on Oasis. We did not use the table...never do when there is one in the room. .

I agree 100%...especially if you are taking a 14 day or B2B cruise. Storage is more important for sure. I just got off the CCL Liberty. CCL has very roomy standard balcony cabins. There is a table in there and all I could think of all week was I wish it wasn't there because it was truly in my way.

In answer to my own question, after scrolling through a ton of tips on

"2010-cruiser's" The List thread :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1252754&highlight=2010_cruisers&page=12

This came up:

...and there is a slide-out small table (like a desk) directly above the mini-fridge.

Has anyone else noticed this table? Maybe this is the answer to the missing coffee table.

Gee, how did I miss your post last night? I hope that the memory banks store this information for me when I board next December. I may have to print out that thread (and then remember where I put it:o ).

OP:

THANK YOU!!

Great post!! I truly appreciate you taking the time to write your experiences/opinions on the two ships. :)

I agree 100%...especially if you are taking a 14 day or B2B cruise. Storage is more important for sure. I just got off the CCL Liberty. CCL has very roomy standard balcony cabins. There is a table in there and all I could think of all week was I wish it wasn't there because it was truly in my way.

I have to give props to the designer/s of Oasis who came up with a functional use for the table besides using it for a food tray or paper work...the garbage can was neatly tucked away under there in its own little niche.

Great comparison coffeebean. I loved the Epic and I've been thinking about booking the Oasis. It seems that each of these ships have their own appeal. I'm jealous that you've been able to try both of them. Thanks for the review.

DH and I are looking forward to cruising on Allure as she is not an exact replica of Oasis. There have been some changes for the better including an Argentinian steak house. I guess RCCL saw how popular this restaurant is on Epic so they will now have one in their fleet. Actually, I understand RCCL is adding the Argentinian steak house to two more ships which will be undergoing renovation. I believe Radiance OTS is one of those ships but I can't remember which one the other is.

DH and I cruised on NCL’s Epic two months ago and are just off RCCL’s Oasis. I would like to compare these two ships as I and my DH experienced them. Before I start, I would like to say we had a wonderful time on both ships.

Final Thoughts - Epic is a lovely ship with many beautiful spaces and we did enjoy this ship very much, especially NCL’s Freestyle concept. Oasis, on the other hand, offers a WOW factor that we have not experienced on any other ship. The Oasis neighborhoods such as Central Park, The Boardwalk and the Royal Promenade are hard to beat.

Thanks so much for your comparison of the two ships. We plan to sail the Allure and the Epic in 2012 and your comparison is very helpful.

A thread about the life boat drill just jogged my memory about another comparison of Epic and Oasis. Oasis does not have life vests in the cabins. All life vests are kept in the muster stations and all passengers will be given life vests at the muster stations during a real emergency. Epic still has life vests stored in the cabins.

A thread about the life boat drill just jogged my memory about another comparison of Epic and Oasis. Oasis does not have life vests in the cabins. All life vests are kept in the muster stations and all passengers will be given life vests at the muster stations during a real emergency. Epic still has life vests stored in the cabins.

That's an interesting difference Coffeebean. I like the idea of having one in my room should, God forbid, anything happen while I am there - easy to grab and go. On the other hand, I really can't see myself running up multiple flights of stairs against the flow of panicked pax just to go and get it.

Hmmh, which do I prefer??

Gee, how did I miss your post last night? I hope that the memory banks store this information for me when I board next December. I may have to print out that thread (and then remember where I put it:o ).

We board the Epic Saturday Jan 15th. I'll take a photo of the slide out tray and post it when we return. I haven't noticed a photo of it yet....or any mentions of it other than the one posted in the "tips" thread.

If it is a substitute for the traditional coffee table, I agree that the steward should make that fact known.

We board the Epic Saturday Jan 15th. I'll take a photo of the slide out tray and post it when we return. I haven't noticed a photo of it yet....or any mentions of it other than the one posted in the "tips" thread.

If it is a substitute for the traditional coffee table, I agree that the steward should make that fact known.

Cool, thanks!! Have a great cruise too. Hope you are going to do a review for us as well.

That's an interesting difference Coffeebean. I like the idea of having one in my room should, God forbid, anything happen while I am there - easy to grab and go. On the other hand, I really can't see myself running up multiple flights of stairs against the flow of panicked pax just to go and get it.

Hmmh, which do I prefer??

Oais/Allure has the most people to move to their muster stations. I imagine that was the key reason why it was decided to have the life vests stored in a central location for each passenger. Traffic will move much quicker without folks fussing with their life vests en route to their muster stations.

Oais/Allure has the most people to move to their muster stations. I imagine that was the key reason why it was decided to have the life vests stored in a central location for each passenger. Traffic will move much quicker without folks fussing with their life vests en route to their muster stations.

And tripping folks with the dangling straps:D

Think you are right with the above. I wonder if other ships may try to retrofit things to do it that way??

No life vests in cabins?

Why those ships are allowed to leave our ports with passengers?

I am afraid senator Smith is turning in his grave.

No life vests in cabins?

Why those ships are allowed to leave our ports with passengers?

I am afraid senator Smith is turning in his grave.

it's clear that they did it just to irritate you. :)

I would that it would be safer to have the vests available at the muster stations, and I often wondered why they didn't do this. If someone is down on deck 6 at a show it seems that it would add risk if they had to climb 8 flights of stairs to get their life vest, then back down to their muster station. Except at night, I would think that most people are out and about and this would be a better solution.

Why would you think this is a less safe approach? Just curious.

I would also say that because most people are NOT in their rooms most of the time, it would be far more time consuming for them to go to their rooms (possibly up 7-8 flights of stairs) to get the vests.

I would also say that because most people are NOT in their rooms most of the time, it would be far more time consuming for them to go to their rooms (possibly up 7-8 flights of stairs) to get the vests.

I thought one other reason to have passengers go to their rooms was to change into warmer clothes and to get any needed medication? Of course this assumes there is time to do that.

I specifically looked for this table and it was not to be found in a standard balcony cabin...

Archived