Voyager and Water Question

suebee53

DS is taking his first cruise on VOS on Sunday. He's quite the coffee aficionado (read: coffee snob--works as a barista in a high-end shop in SF) and told me he was bringing a coffee grinder and French press. I suggested that if he's going to go to that much trouble to make himself great coffee, he'd probably not be happy with the ship's tap water.

I've been trying to find out if he can take bottled water onto the ship in Galveston and haven't been able to surface a definitive answer from the boards. Best-case scenario would be successfully slapping a luggage tag on a case of the stuff. Does RCCI allow that these days?

Thanks!

His bigger issue may be trying to bring that coffee grinder and french press onboard. If they think there is ANY risk he will be hurt if that ship lurches..or he acts foolishly..or they think it might somehow be a risk of fire (like hairdryers....) they will tell him no.

how does he plan on getting the water hot enough for the french press? Anything that creates heat will probably be confiscated. The coffee grinder wouldn't be an issue, but if the french press has it's own power it could be. I might recommend ordering hot water from room service. Back to your original question, I don't think getting a case of water onboard would be an issue. Most people say they get away with it, but some claim they couldn't.

how does he plan on getting the water hot enough for the french press? Anything that creates heat will probably be confiscated. The coffee grinder wouldn't be an issue, but if the french press has it's own power it could be. I might recommend ordering hot water from room service. Back to your original question, I don't think getting a case of water onboard would be an issue. Most people say they get away with it, but some claim they couldn't.

Good luck getting water hot enough from room service. For a french press you need water just off the boil and you will not get that in a carafe delivered by room service.

Oh I know how hot the water has to be, I learned that the hard way :rolleyes: I didn't know if you could get it that how from RS or not. Either way, anything brought onboard to heat water will probably be confiscated, so I'm kinda curious what they're gonna do.

Oh MAN!! That's right--I forgot about having to heat the water, which ain't gonna happen in the cabin unless he brings a bulky electric water heater which would probably be confiscated.

Good call, guys! Thank you so much!

We just got off of Voyager on Sunday......I don't know anything about a french press, however, I can tell you that the water in the bathroom is scalding hot. If you turn it all the way to hot.....you will have steam.

Also, Voyager has a "water package" that you can buy on board. They will deliver 6, 8,12, 24 bottles, etc. to your room. I do not remember what they were charging.

The coffee on the ship is absolutely awful. I take my French press with me, along with my favorite coffee. Every morning we either have room service deliver a carafe of hot water or we take the French press with us to breakfast. The water is definitely hot enough. Either way, its great to drink good coffee!! It's funny how many people stare at you and ask what it is! We also take our own creamer, since that is also lacking on the ships. The stores sell individual flavored and plain creamers in boxes of 50 or so, its great!!

There is HOT water available in the Windjammer and Promenade cafe, along side the coffee dispensers.

I was just trying to sleep and decided to make some tea, that reminded me of the Promenade cafe and how hot the water was there and I just remembered this post, I ran to my laptop to post it but I see you beat me to it :D The water they provide you for tea should be plenty hot enough for the french press

Archived