Changes on Carnival in Jan?

sixflags89

Isn't the whole point of running a cruise line or for that matter most business, is to make a "PROFIT"? You really don't think they are doing this to break even do you?

Now cruising with another cruise line is up to you but I really think you are way out of line with your thinking here. There are a LOT of people, such as myself who welcome the options. Personally speaking I think most of the standard food offering in the MDR are of low quality. So I'm glad I would have the chance to upgrade to a better cut of meat. I like the option and I WILL be recommending Carnival to others just because they now have this option.

Problem with your disagreement, and only really re-enforces my point is that at one time CCL's rates INCLUDED food that was of MUCH BETTER QUALITY and did not require additional options at additional cost (other than alternative dining in a nicer environment and venue on the ship).

So now the cruiseline lowers the fares to capture the attention of cruisers and fill their ships, but also lowers the food quality, but God Bless them for allowing me the privilage to PAY for better food when in the years gone by I had to maybe pay a slightly higher cruise fare, but also included much better food quality (which you admitt is "low quality") !

It's called "marketing" and if you want to have a discussion on that, I can really match wits with you on that topic !

Looking at NCL's " Freestyle Dining" options and Royal Carribean's "Specialty Restaurants",

it seems Carnival is actually behind in offering these extra fee dining options.

I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not ,but to complain about extra fee dining options in the MDR for

Carnival ships that do not have a steak house seems to much ado over nothing.

No doubt that extra fee dining options seems to be growing in the cruise industry.

I actually think you are right on with your comments. In the beginning I was kind of against it it, my views have softened some. Hope it doe snot become a trend though

I'm rarely posting on CC these days, but I couldn't let that perfect wording go by without applause. :) :)

Hiya, Sweet Linda!!! :D

Applause for Linda from me as well.

I truly enjoyed my last cruise on the Liberty...mostly because I was able to upgrade my experience a bit with dinner at Harry's as well as The Chef's table.

I think that CCL is pretty smart offering options. The people on a budget can still enjoy a cruise and people who want something a little bit better but still love the 'Fun' Ships and don't want to give them up, can get what they want as well by upgrading their experience a little.

It's a win-win.

I would like to add though, that if turn-down service is eliminated, that would suck.

I was just reading a member's review and they stated that beginining in January Canrival room stewards will only be servicing the cabin once a day in the morning. (no more evening service) Also they will begin to charge for steak and lobster in the main dinining rooms. Can anyone confirm these changes or are they just rumors?

I just saw a post on facebook from John Heald that said he checked with the beards and confirmed there are no plans to change the way cabin stewards clean the rooms. So you can put that rumour to bed. As for the dining room charges, I seriously doubt that too.

John asked me to add this to the thread...

Host Mach from Cruise Critic alerted me to a thread thingy that someone started suggesting we were cancleing turndown service . I checked with a senior beard on this and have been told there are no plans to change our current housekeeping procedures.

Mach - can you glur this to the thread thingy please mate. Thanks

No changes... I'd love to find out where these rumors start...

:rolleyes:

I was just reading a member's review and they stated that beginining in January Canrival room stewards will only be servicing the cabin once a day in the morning. (no more evening service) Also they will begin to charge for steak and lobster in the main dinining rooms. Can anyone confirm these changes or are they just rumors?

As a follow up, John had this to say about the steak and lobster...

And I am on a role today. I just got an e mail from another great friend of mine and a Cruise Critic member who told me about another rumor that we are going to be charging for the regular steaks ( flat iron etc ) and the elegant night lobster. This rumor is true .......in the same way that it's true that I look good naked covered in baby oil with an apple in my mouth.

Mach.........can I ask you to post this as well please. Thanks mate

:)

Why would pay extra for a better cut of cow and a bigger lobster tail. Just have your waiter bring you 2 or 3 or 4 dinners!

The steak is already a select cut of cow. We tried the Steak house on the Freedom and the cut of cow was bigger but I highly doubt that it was a prime cut of beef. I sent it back and got the lamb instead...Now that was a lot better than what you get in the MDR.

Because more does not necessarily mean better. 4 tough steaks does not equal one good rib eye. Nor do 4 or 5 little lobster tails equal one good Maine lobster tail. Some of the steaks offered on the regular menu are really pretty bad- tough or tasteless.

It was my understanding that only on ships where the steak house was not available were they testing the special menus in the MDR. Worth a try but part of what you are paying for in the steak house is atmosphere, something that it hard to sell in the MRD.

OP must be too embarrassed about the rumors they tried to start to come back and post a link to where he/she saw the info.

What the OP saw in a review was correct (correct as in the review does exist..not that the info was necessarily accurate), cause I also read the same review. I was at work and reading random reviews during some slow time and came upon that one. I was actually going to post a question to see if anyone else had heard that rumor about the stateroom service, but I got busy at work and never got around to it. I wish I could remember what ship review I was reading that had that info in it...but I was just kinda skipping around and reading some random stuff and I can't for the life of me remember which review it was in. I will try to find it though.

UPDATE: Found the review. Here is the link - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=76089

We just got off the Destiny Today and they DIDNT offer anything on the menu you had to pay for...they did NOT offer a lobster and Steak Dinner..They did offer a Lobster Tail and Tiger Shrimp for Captains Night...and my son ate 14 of the tails...and broke the Destiny Record..LOL so he was told..

I have to say that the steak and lobster are not what I regularly order.

I always try to have something different.

I know how to cook steak and I know how to cook lobster.

When it comes to duck or lamb or beef wellington, I need someone else to prepare it because I don't do so good.

The way I figure it is, if I don't like it, I'll send it back. Doesn't cost me anymore and I get to try new things.

I do usually get a couple lobster tails one night though.

Archived