Bunk or Sofa for 3rd adult

jerseygirl79

It probably depends on the ship and cabin layout, on our last cruise on Ecstasy we had an Ocean View cabin with a fold down bunk. It was set up so when the bunk was down it would be just over the corner of the foot of the regular bed in king mode. I would guess that would put the bunk around typical door knob height, maybe just a little higher. I never tried it as it was locked in the stored position.

I've slept on an upper 4 times, and a sofa bed once. And the answer is easy: sofa bed! It's almost as good as a regular bed, even though the regular beds are amazing!!!!!! The upper on the Dream was the best of the 4 I've had, and the Triumph's was probably the least comfortable. They're still okay, especially for what I paid on those cruises, as my roommates didn't expect me to pay as much as them since I had the worse bed. The climbing up & down is the worst part. You never want to have to use the restroom at night. An upper is certainly good enough, but the sofa bed is much better.

Since I just posted this pic on another thread and have it linked still, I'll throw it here as well. Upper and lower on the Pride. You can probably tell from this which would be the better choice for an adult. But I agree with the person who said that 3 in the room will only be offered the convertible sofa, with uppers being in cabins for 4 (or 5 on ships so equipped).

478.jpg

Three of us on Triumph in September - balcony cabin, I had the bunk. The sofa wasn't long enough to be used as a bed unless I wanted to spend the entire night with my knees up under my chin. I'm not sure why the sofa was shorter, but the bunk was longer than the sofa, and came over the head of the closest single bed.

Seriously it was "OK"...but I can also sleep anywhere, anytime. It would have been a good 35 years since I was on the top of a bunk - which was enough time to forget that if you don't check that the ladder is level and evenly attached to the bunk it will result in some reasonably amusing (to others in the room) gymnastics.

My 2 cousins and I are booking a balcony cabin on Pride. I'm wondering which is more comfortable for an adult, the bunk or sofa?

On the Pride, we were only offered the sofa bed for my son (age 25). He's slept on the bunk before on other ships and he said he prefers the bunk, even though the sofa bed IS more convenient.

Be aware that the sofa will be made up as a bed for the entire trip, which eliminates you using it as a sofa (unless your cousin doesn't mind people sitting on their bed).

Since I just posted this pic on another thread and have it linked still, I'll throw it here as well. Upper and lower on the Pride. You can probably tell from this which would be the better choice for an adult. But I agree with the person who said that 3 in the room will only be offered the convertible sofa, with uppers being in cabins for 4 (or 5 on ships so equipped).

478.jpg

Fantastic pic!!! THanks!!!

having the bunk down will give you an extra place for storage, tho!!! like the carnival towels and extra soda you bring on board!

ooohhhhh....Good idea.

OK...so of course since I'm the oldest (by 6 months, but still it counts) I get first dibs, :D, hey I didn't make the rules (or maybe I did, LOL). My cousins are 2 sisters and of course the youngest will get the sofa bed, HAHAHAH.

My 2 cousins and I are booking a balcony cabin on Pride. I'm wondering which is more comfortable for an adult, the bunk or sofa?

If you are under 30 or so the bunk is much more comfortable. the only disadvantage is that you have to climb up and down the ladder.

Archived