Destiny Review 12.13.10 Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk w/pics

jerseygirl79

Thanks Alysia!

We're planning the Destiny in September, and the plan is to book the IC thru LMT.. Thanks for the info on cab fares from MIA... VERY helpful!

I'm sorry what is LMT? I know IC is InterContinental we stayed there pre cruise a few years back and loved it!! I think we paid $99 per night on a high floor overlooking the bay.

JerseyGirl your reviews are the best!!

Where in MD I am from Bal'more hon!

I'm sorry what is LMT? I know IC is InterContinental we stayed there pre cruise a few years back and loved it!! I think we paid $99 per night on a high floor overlooking the bay.

JerseyGirl your reviews are the best!!

Where in MD I am from Bal'more hon!

Thanks! LMT is www.lastminutetravel.com It's great! It's one of those "secret" sites.

Oh, and I'm in Harford County! Way up there!

Great review Alysia! I'm sailing the Destiny 2 LOOOOOONG months from now on the western Caribbean itinerary and think I have to check out your review for that cruise. The tent was definitely Cirque du Soleil. They had the same type of tent set up here in Atlanta when they came to town. Chickens eating pig poo- too funny. LOL Thanks for the pics of the flying trapeze also. I think I might have to add that to my to do list during my pre-cruise stay in Miami. I looked at their website and a class is only $40. Thanks again for sharing your review with us!

Great review Alysia! I'm sailing the Destiny 2 LOOOOOONG months from now on the western Caribbean itinerary and think I have to check out your review for that cruise. The tent was definitely Cirque du Soleil. They had the same type of tent set up here in Atlanta when they came to town. Chickens eating pig poo- too funny. LOL Thanks for the pics of the flying trapeze also. I think I might have to add that to my to do list during my pre-cruise stay in Miami. I looked at their website and a class is only $40. Thanks again for sharing your review with us!

You're welcome! I can't wait to get back to Miami! There's so much going on it that one little area. It was a lot of fun.

If you're going to Grand Cayman, I'm soooo jealous!!! We had the BEST time there last year. If you're going to Ochos Rios, definitely book something through the ship, like Dunn's River.

Thanks for confirming that was Cirque du Soleil! Man! I wish I'd known!!!

Does anyone know how long Cirque will be in Miami? We will be there next week, and I would love to surprise my husband!

THX!

By the way, thanks for the review. I love all of the pix!:D

Here's what I found:

https://tickets.cirquedusoleil.com/zope/webshop/walkin?channel=11&seriesCode=KOOMIA&language=en&lfMix=CDSGP

Looks like the last show is Jan 2, 2011

Alyssa,

That was a great review, and since I was on the ship with you, I agree with everything you said. We had a great time as well.

The smell was definitly there on our floor, we were on Riveria Aft, but it would come and go. Definitly did not affect our cruise.

You had a great table for dinner! Lucky for you! I am really glad we got to meet you and your DH. It was fun seeing you around the ship.

Kathy

Alyssa,

That was a great review, and since I was on the ship with you, I agree with everything you said. We had a great time as well.

The smell was definitly there on our floor, we were on Riveria Aft, but it would come and go. Definitly did not affect our cruise.

You had a great table for dinner! Lucky for you! I am really glad we got to meet you and your DH. It was fun seeing you around the ship.

Kathy

Hey Kathy!!! It was great meeting you and the family. I really enjoyed bumping into you guys out and about. I hope to meet up with you again one day.

What is with that smell??? I know waste has to go somewhere, but I've never smelled it like that on any other ship.

You're welcome! I can't wait to get back to Miami! There's so much going on it that one little area. It was a lot of fun.

If you're going to Grand Cayman, I'm soooo jealous!!! We had the BEST time there last year. If you're going to Ochos Rios, definitely book something through the ship, like Dunn's River.

Thanks for confirming that was Cirque du Soleil! Man! I wish I'd known!!!

I did read your other Destiny review. I'm looking forward to going back to Grand Cayman because when I was there last year, it rained all day and I didn't get to really see how pretty the island is. I climbed DRF last year, so I'm looking at a few other Carnival excursions. We're there until 5 and the excursion I'm most interested in gets back at 2:30, and I was thinking about finding a nearby beach to chill at for an hour or so before getting back on the ship. Your review changed my mind about that.

Alysia, great pics. I think I am going to steal some of them, cause you got pics of stuff I missed.

If anyone out there has pics of the variety show from the Destiny 13/12 cruise, could you post them so I can steal them, I was to busy videotaping Ashley, that I did not get any still photos.

Kathy, I still have that pic of the kids with the stingrays to send to you, and the one of us all trying to get back on the ship, lol, in Grand Turk. Send me your email, and I will forward it to you.

Alysia, great pics. I think I am going to steal some of them, cause you got pics of stuff I missed.

If anyone out there has pics of the variety show from the Destiny 13/12 cruise, could you post them so I can steal them, I was to busy videotaping Ashley, that I did not get any still photos.

Kathy, I still have that pic of the kids with the stingrays to send to you, and the one of us all trying to get back on the ship, lol, in Grand Turk. Send me your email, and I will forward it to you.

Hey Louisa! It was great meeting and hanging out with you and Ashley. We finally saw her performance on the t.v. in our cabin. She was great!!!

Hi Alysia, excellent review. You two make a wonderful couple, it would be nice to cruise with the two of you some day. We're cruising on Sunday, can't wait to get away. Mike

That would be a blast! I wish I were cruising this weekend. Is this the men only cruise with just you and the son?

Alysia

I usually follow your reviews also, and love them and the pics. I think you and your DH seem like a really fun couple to cruise with. Hopefully someday we will link up on the same cruise.

I agree with you also I stalk the weather forcasts before we go for like 10 days. We had cold weather one year and yhe island folks were actually wearing parkas and ski caps and the temps were in the 50's.

So tell me were you and DH at all bothered by the Inside cabin? Did he spend nervous energy/pacing time while you were getting ready at night ? Like my DH does that and I always banish him to the balcony and it gives me room to get ready so I get nervous about not having one. Plus now after the Splendor thing, I think how important it is to have one in case of a situation like that.

So, anyway totally love your reviews. Cant wait for the next one.

We also were on this cruise. My daughters both performed in the Christmas show....she's in your picture below....on the right side next to the Camp Carnival counselor....she's wearing a black dress with red sequins on top. Wasn't that such a cute show??

100_2300.jpg

How cute!!! Tell her she's a star! I LOVED the holiday show. It was the highlight of my cruise. I hope to cruise again during Christmas. It was a nice change seeing the ship and ports decorated for the holiday.

Alysia

I usually follow your reviews also, and love them and the pics. I think you and your DH seem like a really fun couple to cruise with. Hopefully someday we will link up on the same cruise.

I agree with you also I stalk the weather forcasts before we go for like 10 days. We had cold weather one year and yhe island folks were actually wearing parkas and ski caps and the temps were in the 50's.

So tell me were you and DH at all bothered by the Inside cabin? Did he spend nervous energy/pacing time while you were getting ready at night ? Like my DH does that and I always banish him to the balcony and it gives me room to get ready so I get nervous about not having one. Plus now after the Splendor thing, I think how important it is to have one in case of a situation like that.

So, anyway totally love your reviews. Cant wait for the next one.

The islanders and Floridians for that matter seem to lose their minds when the temp drops below 60, LOL. It's pretty amusing for a Jersey girl :D. You know, Florida was beautiful, but unless it's freezing it doesn't feel like Christmas, LOL. I don't care how many bows you hang, hahahahha.

Surprisingly, we weren't bothered about the inside. I just asked DH what he thought and his answer was, "it was alright". Typical indifference from him :) Yes, he pesters me too while I'm getting ready, but he normally just maintains his perch on the edge of the bed watching whatever he can find on the t.v. intermittenly breaking in with, "I'm hungry". Now that you mention it, he would hang out on the balcony when we had them, but he always finds his way back inside the cabin, LOL.

For a longer cruise, I'd definitely book a balcony, but for Destiny the interior was fine. It was 5 nights with 3 ports so we didn't spend as much time in the cabin. For my girls cruise in September, I'm booking a balcony on Pride, because it's like $20 more than an OV.

Hopefully, we'll sail together some time :D

Great pictures, I stayed there about three weeks ago.

Paid $96 taxes included. Great hotel, hoping to stay there

again next month if I can get the same deal..

Background: DH (34), Me (31). This is my 6th cruise, 5th with Carnival. DH has been on 4 cruises, 3 with Carnival.

Pre-Cruise:

DH and I flew AirTran from BWI to MIA the day before embarkation. We arrived in Miami on Sunday, Dec 12 after a 45 minute delay of our flight due to a mechanical issue that didn’t affect the “flyability” of the plane. OOOOOKAY. Maybe it’s just me, but sitting on a plane on the side of the runway for almost an hour due to a mechanical issue makes me a bit nervous, but it was smooth flying to Miami and we made up a lot of the delay in flight.

I scored a great deal for the 5 star InterContinental Miami at Chopin Plaza. The hotel was beautiful, there were doormen waiting to take your luggage and plenty of taxis to bring us to the pier the next day. But my favorite amenity had to be the Starbucks located in the lobby! This further confirmed my belief that there is a God and he loves me and understands my need for overpriced holiday inspired coffee drinks.

Pics of hotel:

100_2091.jpg

100_2092.jpg

100_2093.jpg

100_2096.jpg

100_2097.jpg

100_2098.jpg

We got the Marriott Biscayne Bay a couple blocks from Bayside for $105 on priceline. Had never tried that before. We were happy with anything

3 1/2 * and up. First entered $80 and moved up. If you put in 4* and $100 in downtown you can't go wrong I would think? Have a good one

I stayed at the Marriott a few years back and LOVED it, the location was awesome. However, we stayed there at the end of July 2011 and they were renovating, it was quite a nightmare to get into the hotel because they had the main entrance closed off and they were using golf carts to load guests and their luggage on up through the garage and you have to enter through a side door in the garage. They had a beautiful sitting area outside right by the water and a restaraunt that had a beautiful bay view which were also closed off during construction. Hopefully when you go they will be through with that construction, if they are then you will thoroughly enjoy the hotel!

I didn't go thru all of the replies to see if anyone answered your question about the tents in Miami. I believe they are Cirque du Soliel tents.

Yeah...a couple of people pointed it out. It was a really nice looking tent. I wasn't sure if it was a permanent or not.

Great pictures, I stayed there about three weeks ago.

Paid $96 taxes included. Great hotel, hoping to stay there

again next month if I can get the same deal..

Wasn't that an amazing deal! I tried looking into the IC for my cousin for Feb but it's up to $160++ per night. She's going to the annual Bob Marley festival that's held right there in the park.

I stayed at the Marriott a few years back and LOVED it, the location was awesome. However, we stayed there at the end of July 2011 and they were renovating, it was quite a nightmare to get into the hotel because they had the main entrance closed off and they were using golf carts to load guests and their luggage on up through the garage and you have to enter through a side door in the garage. They had a beautiful sitting area outside right by the water and a restaraunt that had a beautiful bay view which were also closed off during construction. Hopefully when you go they will be through with that construction, if they are then you will thoroughly enjoy the hotel!

I didn't see the Marriott. Is it near the InterContinental?

Yeah...a couple of people pointed it out. It was a really nice looking tent. I wasn't sure if it was a permanent or not.

Wasn't that an amazing deal! I tried looking into the IC for my cousin for Feb but it's up to $160++ per night. She's going to the annual Bob Marley festival that's held right there in the park.

I didn't see the Marriott. Is it near the InterContinental?

I want to say it is but I'm not 100% sure, it's right on the bay, awesome view of the ships coming in and going out.

Archived