Do they really serve meatballs and pork belly in the MDR?

Dena

I have read many recent reviews about the food. Is it really getting that bad in the MDR. Do I need to think about AQ or sticking with the specialty restaurants. I am not that fussy, but I do not want food of lesser quality than I would prepare for myself at home.

There was some sort of stuffed meatball dish. Didn't see pork belly on my cruise, because I would have taken advantage of it! I make pork belly for dinner parties, and an excellent restaurant nearby does a tapas portion....for $45 a plate. Which equals about two bites.

It's been a trendy ingredient for years now.

I have read many recent reviews about the food. Is it really getting that bad in the MDR. Do I need to think about AQ or sticking with the specialty restaurants. I am not that fussy, but I do not want food of lesser quality than I would prepare for myself at home.

Pork belly and meatballs are pretty trendy dishes. I see them served in fancy restaurants all the time. I don't see how this means that the quality of the food in the MDR is "that bad" :confused:

We just got off the Millennium on Friday night from an 11 night southern Caribbean cruise. Yes there was a meatball option one night and a pork belly option another night. I didn't order either. But you will not be disappointed with the food. I thought it was outstanding. We were just on Millennium in May for an Alaskan cruise and I liked the food then, but it was noticeably better this time. I was VERY happy with the food, and no complaints from anyone in my group of 10 (with two teenage girls who happily complain). We were all pleased and I ate in the MDR every night ( a couple of my party ate sushi one night which they thought was good too). And the desserts were really good too with few exceptions. Again noticeably better (could be that French pastry chef on Millie right now. :) )

Did you mean "raw" bacon or "uncured" bacon?

Raw ...as in an unsliced piece of meat, than cooked and prepared. Normally it's braised, than roasted to create a crispy texture. However, I've had some down south that aren't served crispy (more a gelatinous texture), and have also seen it served pickled.

If anyone ever has time to experiment, make your own bacon. I think Michael Ruhlman has some cure recipes on his blog. It will be so much more fabulous than any smithfield or hatfield nitrate impregnated slop sold in the grocery store.

Food is Summit was very good at all three dinners we had in MDR. I had mostly seafood dishes and they were all very tasty. It may not have been fresh seafood, but we don't see a lot of that in the MW anyway, someone from Maine or Seattle might have a different opinion but it was more than acceptable in my book.

DH ate a lot of beef, including the aforementioned beef cheeks which he claimed was some of the most tender beef he had eated, and was very pleased also.

MDR is alive and well!

This is good food which I have enjoyed for many years back in Europe. If you are one to cut any fat off your meat, this is not for you through. A thick slice of this with mustard and split yellow pea soup. Uhmm.

I have often looked for cuts like this but never found a name for it so thank you very much for starting this tread.

Archived