Can I display American Flag on our balcony

1937olds

You've got to be kidding me. The OP is visiting the Caribbean. Hanging an American flag on his balcony is not going to offend the natives. They just want him to spend his money on their island. Us Americans are held in low esteem huh. Well when something happens in the world the first place they turn to is the US for help. It would be nice if our neighbors to the north could remember that.

Well put!!

You've got to be kidding me. The OP is visiting the Caribbean. Hanging an American flag on his balcony is not going to offend the natives. They just want him to spend his money on their island. Us Americans are held in low esteem huh. Well when something happens in the world the first place they turn to is the US for help. It would be nice if our neighbors to the north could remember that.

I must have missed something .......... We did that when ?? In view of the fact that we have an abundance of fresh water, gas and oil, please dont "liberate" us and btw we have no WMD's.

Us Americans are held in low esteem huh. Well when something happens in the world the first place they turn to is the US for help. It would be nice if our neighbors to the north could remember that.

Maybe it would help support your argument if the U.S. invaded somewhere that didn't have oil reserves tucked away - you could perhaps start by helping out the beleaguered citizens of Zimbabwe for instance.... oh wait, they don't have billions of barrels of oil there do they? Silly me.

If every nationality flew their own flag fromm the balcony it would look like a tacky laundry line. I think a cruise vacation is a time to leave maudlin patriotism behind, and enjoy the world. And yes, flags would be a fire hazard. Fly one in your room if you want.:)

How about we just proudly fly the flag with the logo of the ship we are on. We have worked hard, no matter what country we are proud to be from, and are happy to be on that ship. Better yet, don't fly it if it is a fire hazard. Just hang your undies on the chair. They are smaller and less of a fire hazard!

How about we just proudly fly the flag with the logo of the ship we are on. We have worked hard, no matter what country we are proud to be from, and are happy to be on that ship. Better yet, don't fly it if it is a fire hazard. Just hang your undies on the chair. They are smaller and less of a fire hazard!

Not mine :).

The second is one of sensitivity to others. As a Canadian who has also lived overseas, one of the reasons why Americans are held in low esteem by many is their in-your-face, over the top, "my country right or wrong", manifest destiny sense of patriotism. The flag on the balcony is just one example of this behaviour.

Thank you lambcom.

When someone overcompensates the general cause is insecurity. Too many of my fellow U.S. citizens confuse patriotism and pride with a fear that if their 'love for country' is not overtly and repeatedly displayed by themselves others may doubt sincerity.

On a side note: I live in the northeast of the U.S. and ever since 9/11 there continues to be a number of 'proud Americans' who utilize highway overpasses as their personal flag poles. I don't need to see a chain link fence spanning Route 80 or I-95 filled with American flags to be reminded I'm in the U.S.. The left-lane only, speeding Cadillac Escalade with the stick-figure family stickers in the back window and driver flashing other drivers to move faster or get out of the way is all the reminder I need to know I'm home.

Pride and patriotism come from the heart and action-- not from symbols displayed like merchandise or laundry on a clothes-line.

As we go deeper into discussions on patriotism and 'it's my balcony so I can do as I wish', please notice the OP has no interest in this - make you think maybe you are wasting your time?

Go ahead and plant that flag and beat your chest. And in a short while you'll be taking it down when directed to do so.

This thread directly indicates why the Line won't allow it.

Den

As we go deeper into discussions on patriotism and 'it's my balcony so I can do as I wish', please notice the OP has no interest in this - make you think maybe you are wasting your time?

Go ahead and plant that flag and beat your chest. And in a short while you'll be taking it down when directed to do so.

This thread directly indicates why the Line won't allow it.

Den

How right you are.:eek:

Thank you lambcom.

When someone overcompensates the general cause is insecurity. Too many of my fellow U.S. citizens confuse patriotism and pride with a fear that if their 'love for country' is not overtly and repeatedly displayed by themselves others may doubt sincerity.

On a side note: I live in the northeast of the U.S. and ever since 9/11 there continues to be a number of 'proud Americans' who utilize highway overpasses as their personal flag poles. I don't need to see a chain link fence spanning Route 80 or I-95 filled with American flags to be reminded I'm in the U.S.. The left-lane only, speeding Cadillac Escalade with the stick-figure family stickers in the back window and driver flashing other drivers to move faster or get out of the way is all the reminder I need to know I'm home.

Pride and patriotism come from the heart and action-- not from symbols displayed like merchandise or laundry on a clothes-line.

Amen.

Archived