Celabrity Solstice info - Please......

Cruisin D

Thankyou in advance for any information that you can provide.

We are trying to decide on our cruise vacation for 2011, we have been looking at the Coral Princess in Alaska ands the Panama Canal, but it seems that the call of the Med is still strong for us, after sailing in the Med 3 years in a row (On Carnival & Costa) we just love it and there is still so much to see. Anyway we have been looking at the Solstice as she goes to our favorite ports and some new ones, we woulds be doing back to back cruises out of Barcelona in September / October 2011.

We would just like any general hints and tips regarding the Solstice.

Do they cater well for Children (aged 5 & 9).

I do not know if it really matters but is it better to book a port or starboard cabin?

Being a 5 star cruise line, it is a bit posh or is the atmospher one that is relaxed?

Thanks again

D

The Solstice is posh compared to other moderate cruiselines and other ships. Most people dress in the evening as if they are going to a nice restaurant, although the first and last nights are more relaxed. I read that smoking is allowed on the promenade on the port side, so if smoke bothers you make sure you are at least on the 7th deck or above if you have a port side balcony. There is a sticky on the Celebrity boards that helps you learn more about many of the staterooms on Solstice.

We too are taking the end September cruise out of Barcelona with 2 other couples. We have already been on a Celebrity Med cruise and coincidentally it was on the Solstice, as well.

I do know that there is a kids play and recreation area on the Solstice but, having cruised and vacationed in the Spring and Fall, we do not see many children at all. So, I would think that they will have very personalized service in those areas. I am also certain that the kids will be treated well for meals and menus can be tailored for their tastes.

I must say though that it will be much more adult orientated as opposed to Carnival and Costa, especially at that time of year.

Hi,

Cruisin D, Solstice (or any of her sister S-class ships) are magnificent vessels, with a very upscale, luxurious feel. I think you'd be making an excellent choice for the Solstice.

Here's a photo link of Solstice:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570186466zYdpdD

There are many more of my Solstice albums on that website, so if you like what you see in this album wander around on the website and get an even more detailed "feel" for the vessel.

While Celebrity is not noted for being a line attracting large numbers of children traveling with families (such as fellow corporate line Royal Caribbean), they do have an excellent program for youngsters in the age group you describe. I'm sure others will post personal experiences with the program. Our only experience was traveling 5 years ago with a family that had 3 children, but they didn't avail themselves too often of the program, too busy otherwise.

Have a GREAT cruise!!

CM

Thanks for all the information.

I do think that we will book the September 29th & Oct 11th cruises. Our kids have a great time no matter what as they are great little travelers.

Can you please let me know if the resturants work much the same as the other cruise lines, MDR for evening meals and buffet for breakfast & lunch if that is what you choose to do??

Thanks again & Happy New Year

Cheers

D

Can you please let me know if the resturants work much the same as the other cruise lines, MDR for evening meals and buffet for breakfast & lunch if that is what you choose to do??

D

While the MDR is open for 3 meals a day, we only go at night. The buffet is open at night but is very minimal at dinner time. In the MDR, you can choose early or late seatings or open anytime.

While the MDR is open for 3 meals a day, we only go at night. The buffet is open at night but is very minimal at dinner time. In the MDR, you can choose early or late seatings or open anytime.

The MDR will not be open for lunch on port days. The buffet in the evening on the S class ships is not limited, but very nice with a wide variety of international options.

Cruisn D, you will be cruising when kids are in school and your children could very well be the only ones in that age group on board.

The atmosphere is way more upscale than Costa and better in many ways than Carnival. It is more dressy than either of those two lines, and you will have two formal nights on each cruise. Celebrity passengers do tend to dress up more than on Costa or Carnival.

Archived