Question re: departing from San Juan

patterson3

Once you check in for your cruise, can you then leave the ship again to sight-see in San Juan before the ship departs at 8:30pm?

I'm just wondering because we have to leave our hotel at 11 or 12 and if we wanted to stroll around Old San Juan I wasn't sure what we'd do with our luggage, so we were thinking maybe we'd check in for our cruise (IE drop off our luggage) and then do our sight-seeing....

Thanks for your help!

Once you check in for your cruise, can you then leave the ship again to sight-see in San Juan before the ship departs at 8:30pm?

I'm just wondering because we have to leave our hotel at 11 or 12 and if we wanted to stroll around Old San Juan I wasn't sure what we'd do with our luggage, so we were thinking maybe we'd check in for our cruise (IE drop off our luggage) and then do our sight-seeing....

Thanks for your help!

Yes.

But Celebrity cruises originating from San Juan board at the Pan Am Dock, a cab ride away from Old San Juan.

(See the middle map far left)

San_Juan_Interactive.jpg

Thanks for the info (and the helpful maps). I guess one positive is the Pan Am pier appears to be a lot closer to our hotel (El Caribe Hilton). What is near the Pan Am pier to do? Are there beaches nearby (walking distance or cab ride)?

Yes.

But Celebrity cruises originating from San Juan board at the Pan Am Dock, a cab ride away from Old San Juan.

(See the middle map far left)

San_Juan_Interactive.jpg

Instead of wasting all that time going to and from the ship, you may just want to get a late check out at your hotel and/or ask them to store your luggage for you until you have finished your sightseeing and are ready to go to the ship.

There's nothing really by the Pan Am Pier -- it would be a taxi ride to anything worth seeing. Also, muster drill is at 5:30 pm and attendance is mandatory.

Thank you. But the cruise docs we received from Celebrity state that everyone must be aboard at least 90 minutes prior to departure, which is 8:30pm, so how is a 5:30pm muster mandatory?

Thank you. But the cruise docs we received from Celebrity state that everyone must be aboard at least 90 minutes prior to departure, which is 8:30pm, so how is a 5:30pm muster mandatory?

Now that is a most excellent question although I suspect you will receive no definitive answer:D On our last two Christmas sailings out of San Juan (08, 09) that departed at 8:30, muster actually interrupted late sitting dinner --- just after appetizers:rolleyes:

Now that is a most excellent question although I suspect you will receive no definitive answer:D On our last two Christmas sailings out of San Juan (08, 09) that departed at 8:30, muster actually interrupted late sitting dinner --- just after appetizers:rolleyes:

haha....Thanks. That's good to know.

Since you have to take taxis anyway, my personal preference would be to board the ship, and then take a taxi to Old San Juan and walk around. We have done this many times. If you checked out late with the hotel holding your luggage, you would need to cab back and forth from the hotel and then cab to the ship. Another option is to rent a car. Caribe Hilton rents Hertz right at the hotel. (at least they did several years ago) So you can get the car at the airport and return at the hotel, and then just catch a quick cab to the ship. We did that the year we stayed there. Driving in PR is not hard, although be advised traffic can be a bear (as we live in suburban Chicago we are used to it so it was no big deal!). Whether this option makes sense likely depends on when you arrive the day before.

You might want to seriously consider the late check out idea. The beach setup at the Caribe Hilton is really nice. Great place to relax before heading out to the cruise ship.

As others have said there is nothing to do around the cruise terminal. There is a lot to see in Old San Juan if you are up for some walking. You might want to do it the day before, as typically it is pretty hot during the day. There are plenty of nice places to eat or have a drink and places to see. If you go during the day, the Old Fort El Morro is pretty interesting and has some nice views of the harbor.

Thanks for your help!

When you are ready to leave your hotel to stroll around Old San Juan, ask them to check your luggage. Just about every hotel we have ever stayed at had a safe place where they locked up luggage for guests who arrived early or wanted to leave their luggage after check out time. They typically give you a claim check for each piece of luggage you check.

That way you won't need to waste time and money traveling back and forth to the Pan American pier but can just pick up your luggage and take a taxi to the ship after you finish your sightseeing in Old San Juan.

It has some steep hills. A good tip we got from our bus driver was first to take a map and ride a free trolley all the way around the old city to get your bearings. Then get off up at the top by El Morro and walk down. That way you do your walking through Old San Juan going downhill rather than uphill.

Info about the trolleys can be found at

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! This will be my first time in San Juan, so my wife and I would like to see Old San Juan....Now we just have to decide if we'll look into late checkout at the hotel (which will save us a trip to the port but may also result in us waiting in a longer line when we are ready to check in at the ship) or just check into the ship early and take a cab to OSJ.

Archived