documents needed to take son on cruise

jollyjim

Does anyone know if I still need a notorized letter from my son's father to take him on a cruise to the caribbean (Grank Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau-leaving from Miami) My TA gave me the impression that if I got his father to sign for my son to get a passport, that would be enough, so I did that and he made a huge deal out of it, but did eventually sign. Now he and his current wife are holding it over my son's head, saying that if his grades don't all go up, then they won't let him go (he has 4 A's and 3 B's!) and things like that (I already paid for it and its all set) and I'm afraid that now if I ask for a letter they will say no. I do have the passport, a mediated settlement agreement saying that with 60 days of notice either parent can take him on a 7 day vacation with no further consent needed(does not specify out of country), and of course I can also bring his birth certificate too. If anyone has had any eperience with this, I would really appreciate some insite, I would hope that if I do have to ask for a letter, they would do it, but would rather not have the hassle (these people are awful to deal with!) if I don't have to:eek: Thanks a lot!

I just returned from a cruise on the Radiance r/t from Tampa. I travel for the 1st time alone with my 6 year old and was never asked for any documentation concerning my son other than his passport. No one question why I was traveling alone with my 6 year old, from check-in to clearing US immigration on the return. I was prepared to be asked for a letter or other documentation concerning custody but did not need it. Hopefully this will be the situation for you as well.

The odds are, with that itinerary, especially since you are not traveling to Mexico, you will not be asked for a notarized permission to travel letter. That said, you certainly could be asked. Permission to obtain a passport is not the same as giving you permission to travel out-of-the country; your TA is not correct.

You don't need to bring his birth certificate if you have a passport. I would try and ask for the letter; have it prepared so all he has to do it get the notarized signature. If he won't sign, you will have to decide whether to risk it or not.

I see you have received this same advice about this letter on your other thread asking about your connecting flights. I hope you worked out the flights - that's a risky connection time at ORD.

My friend WAS asked, didn't have the letter. Passports were not enough to get her children back into the country. They were detained until her husband produced the necessary notarized documentation and faxed it to them. They missed their flight and had a much less pleasant return home (flying the red eye with kids wasn't fun) than she would have had if she had taken the time to have the documentation with her (in which case, she probably wouldn't have been asked for it. :rolleyes: ) It's up to you whether to risk it, but apparently there's not much to do in the area where they'll make you wait if they ask and you don't have it.

We were asked in September for it when we were boarding Grandeur of the Seas. My MARRIED friend was traveling without her husband. And her kids have the same last name as her (and the husband). I told her to bring the notarized letter. She tells me she doesn't need it. Two days before we leave, she gets the letter. LUCKILY!

She was a few lines away when I hear her telling them that her husband is a surgeon and he couldn't make the trip. Then she yells over at me "Hey Michele, they are asking for my letter!" :eek:

Odds are they won't ask. In our case, they DID.

I understand all too well the hassle it is to get things from the kids' father. And I am so sorry they are holding it over your son's head, that is so unfair.

But even though I've never been asked for the letter, it wouldn't be worth the risk to not have it. I've travelled with my kids several times, even brought one of my DD's friends with us. We all had passports and DD even has a different last name than me. We were never asked for the letters, not even for my DD's friend. The customs agent did ask who was who etc but it seemed he was just trying to be funny...never asked for the letters.

ETA: I wonder if it makes a difference if you are travelling alone with your children or with their stepfather?? It seems whenever I hear about people being asked, it's when they're travelling single with kids.

I was just asked before getting on the Westerdam on December 10th. They copied the notarized letter and kept it on file. I was travelling with my mother and my two kids while Dad stayed at home. I would never chance it without having the affidavit or letter.

Here is our deal. GF's first son has a Dad that has been out of his life for 7 yrs. and is back east. We can't get ahold of him (he's underground to avoid child support). We applied for son #1's passport along with Mom's and little brother's. We got theirs but cannot get his because we can get an affidavit, letter, or probably don't have time to take it to court. Any advice? We were considering traveling with just a BC but that may raise red flags because we have all other passports....

Do you have sole custody? Is it in writing? If you do that would probably be proof to use with birth certificate. If you don't have sole custody, is there anyone from his family that can contact him to at least get the letter notarized?

It is a joint custody situation. Unbelievably, at least to me, the father's family is covering for him as well. And I have to say, too bad for them as this young man is one of the nicest kids I have known. Mom never thought they would have had an opportunity to travel so that is why she never pursued the legal routes. So the divorce decree is a joint custody situation. We need to address it for Chris' sake at any rate.

She has made several attempts to find him back east but it is not easy to do.

Thanks everyone, I guess I will have to ask them for the letter, my son and I do have different last names, and his stepfather is not traveling with us, so sounds like the odds are that I will be asked for it, dang it!! Anyone know if I have to put the dates on it, or can I just write up so and so gives me permission to take son out of country? How much detail does this letter need? (so I can use it again in the future)

I googled "parental travel consent form" and dowloaded one. Let me know if you would like me to forward it. Thanks for starting this thread. I'll figure out something for our situation. Have a great, safe, hassle free trip!

I googled "parental travel consent form" and downloaded one. Let me know if you would like me to forward it. Thanks for starting this thread. I'll figure out something for our situation. Have a great, safe, hassle free trip!

Here is our deal. GF's first son has a Dad that has been out of his life for 7 yrs. and is back east. We can't get ahold of him (he's underground to avoid child support). We applied for son #1's passport along with Mom's and little brother's. We got theirs but cannot get his because we can get an affidavit, letter, or probably don't have time to take it to court. Any advice? We were considering traveling with just a BC but that may raise red flags because we have all other passports....

Are you sure this isn't my ex??

You don't say how old this child is. If he's 16 or older, you don't need dad's signature, and you don't need to take it to court to get a passport. If mom can't find the dad, he can still obtain a passport. You merely have to complete Form DS-3053 (see #5 on the form):

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html

In my experience, it's not too difficult to find someone; making them sign forms or pay is a different matter.

I googled "parental travel consent form" and downloaded one. Let me know if you would like me to forward it. Thanks for starting this thread. I'll figure out something for our situation. Have a great, safe, hassle free trip!

Make sure that form is notarized. Both parties will have to be present in front of the notary public in order to sign the form.

Chris is 12. We did the 3053. Perhaps Mom was not thorough, I wasn't there. They State Dept. wrote us back saying they needed more info. I am going to pursue it myself first thing in the morning. dforeigner you are correct both parents signature's need to be notarized, thank you.

Archived