Portifino wine dinner series

We did this event on Brilliance of the Seas in Dubai this year and had a great time - it is really down to your table mates as well! There were 6 of us - all from different locations and one even worked for RCCL! We had a great time and our wine expert was also very knowledgeable and fun. We also did the Chops wine pairing and there were only the 2 of us at it so it was a bit more serious.

I think you'll have to be even LESS cute...since the link doesn't work.

#@*&%*@. Worked again for me before I posted. Must have something to do with cruise critic transferring the link from the message area to the thread.

Anyway, you can do a search of the board by doing the following:

1. Go to the top of the page. Below the the pale blue box with your signin name is the word "search". It is part of a string of links starting with "user cp" and ending with "log out"

2. Clink on the "search" link and a drop down menu will appear.

3. Type in "portofino wine dinner" without the quotes.

4. Clink on "go" and you will see a listing of threads.

5. You can click on any thread listed and somewhere within that thread is a discussion of the "portofino wine dinner" series.

6. If you can't find the material you are looking for at the beginning of the thread, you will notice, at the top of the first entry, another "seach" option. This one searches through the entire thread and operates the same way as the search function you used to get to the thread (i.e. click on "search this thread" and enter the same "portofino wine dinner" terms, click go and you will be brought to the specific entry relating to the search terms)

7. Now you know why I tried to just post the link. Saves a lot of typing.

Will be doing this dinner on an upcoming Serenade cruise. Are they generous about refilling your wine glass or is it only one pour per wine?

It depends on the maître d. Some have a more generous attitude and others stick to the idea that this is a "pairing" so the wine is limited. That being said, I've never seen a waiter being told not to refill a glass if a guest asks for it. It just won't be offered without a request. Finally, you may receive a second pour without asking on the earlier white wines, but not so much as the dinner progresses and the more expensive red wines make their appearance. You will definitely have to ask for a refill on the La Vite Lucente Sangiovese/Merlot Blend from Tuscany. Worth the request.

Enjoy :D

It depends on the maître d. Some have a more generous attitude and others stick to the idea that this is a "pairing" so the wine is limited. That being said, I've never seen a waiter being told not to refill a glass if a guest asks for it. It just won't be offered without a request. Finally, you may receive a second pour without asking on the earlier white wines, but not so much as the dinner progresses and the more expensive red wines make their appearance. You will definitely have to ask for a refill on the La Vite Lucente Sangiovese/Merlot Blend from Tuscany. Worth the request.

Enjoy :D

We have this booked for our cruise next week. We are HUGE wine lovers, but we lack knowledge so it should be interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the "La Vite Lucente Sangiovese/Merlot Blend from Tuscany".....we LOVE red wine so Im excited to try this one. Thanks and I'll be sure to post a review when we get back :D

• 11 months later...

I have a question. Me and dad want to do it, but are waiting till be board to book it.

I was told it is only the first night by the rccl pre planner... is this true? Is it only selected night or nights?

Finally, mom doesn't want to eat by herself, can she come and sit with us and just order off the regular menu? Can we ask when we board?

We are on the Dec 19th cruise, what are the chances or being sold out?

I want to use my OBC for this.

I was told it is only the first night by the rccl pre planner... is this true? Is it only selected night or nights?

We booked it for our upcoming voyage on FOS and it is scheduled for the second night.

• 4 weeks later...
The Wine Pairing was offered only one night mid-cruise on our sailing and got canceled as not enough people reserved it:(

Same with ours! I am soo disappointed! Ours was supposed to be boarding night. They said they needed a min of 4, I think. It was just me and dad. On the first sea day, the next day a couple we met at the wine tasting in the dinning room (there was 7 of us they almost cancelled that one) we told them about it and they said they would've signed up if they'd known... so me and dad both added to our surveys that they need to advertise it better... and I put how disappointed I was as I had been looking forward to it.

We did it on Voyager, as a result of reading reviews on here. We booked when we boarded, as I was worried it might sell out. We were told which day it was on (it was the only sea day on our cruise), and that we would receive an invitation in our stateroom.

We (2 of us) turned up for the meal, expecting it to be busy, and there were only 16 other people there for the wine pairing. The wine pairing people were seated at the back of Portofino, while other (non-wine pairing) diners were in the rest of Portofino.

The meal was five courses, with four wines. The food was very nice, and I tried things I wouldn't normally try. The only thing I didn't like were the scallops and lobster tail, but as I don't like seafood, not that surprising. I liked all the wines! My girlfriend asked to try a bit more of some of the wines, and our servers (Peter from Ireland and Pedro from Chile(?)) obliged.

We had a great time, took about 3 hours (I think), and would do it again.

Archived