I need help planning Alaska cruise/tour

Pennrod

My DH and I are thinking about an Alaska cruise. I'd like to book a cruisetour if I were certain I'd get to see Mt. McKinley w/o the added expense of a pricey excursion. So I'm looking for some help from you veteran Alaska cruisers. This will be our third cruise (one with Carnival and most recently with Princess). I'd like to spend the extra money for the cruisetour if it would include a view of Mt. McKinley, otherwise I'm thinking of just taking the Southbound cruise and traveling to Seattle for a couple of days. What are your thoughts?:confused:

Depends on what you mean by 'See McKinley'. You can get very nice views from either the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali, or from McKinley lodge, if (and its a BIG if), the weather cooperates.

Look at our photos here:

http://loonbeam.smugmug.com/Travel/Alaska-2009/13372271_S5ZH3#972444704_cVc4p

Start at #5 on that page. That was the view at 10:43. 11:15, mountain out. 11:40 or so.. Covered. We've been told that the mountain is clearly visible about 30% of trips. The photos will give you an idea of the distance as well (those were taken at McKinley there were some from the Denali tour earlier.

So as you can see, a pricey flight or similar is not needed, but no one can guarantee you a good view of the mountain on any given day.

My DH and I are thinking about an Alaska cruise. I'd like to book a cruisetour if I were certain I'd get to see Mt. McKinley w/o the added expense of a pricey excursion. So I'm looking for some help from you veteran Alaska cruisers. This will be our third cruise (one with Carnival and most recently with Princess). I'd like to spend the extra money for the cruisetour if it would include a view of Mt. McKinley, otherwise I'm thinking of just taking the Southbound cruise and traveling to Seattle for a couple of days. What are your thoughts?:confused:

Check the stats - in the summer you have about a 30% chance of seeing Mt. McKinley. I've been lucky and have seen her both times I've been there - when she is out, it's often only for an hour or two, so she might be out when you are there, and you could miss it. The view from Talkeetna is incredible.

There is never a guarantee that Mt. McKinley will be visible during your time there. We were lucky last year; saw it three different times. Our cruisetour started September 6th in Fairbanks for 8 nights; 4 lodges.

Archived