Mazatlan U.S. state dept. travel warning?

zeyedeco7

I was looking through tripadvisor's Mazatlan forum's trying to find something for when I'm there in March and in big red letters at the top of the page it said there was a U.S. state department warning. So I go to the travel warning page and read through Mexico. I find this:

"the city of Mazatlan has experienced a recent increase in violent crime, with more murders in the first quarter of 2010 than in all of 2009. "

I new of a travel warning for a while now, but only really in the border towns. This news is a bit surprising. Will the boat still port?

Yes, they are still going there. I wonder how many cities in the US have had an increase in crime as well?

I think American's tend to perceive an increase in crime, when a lot of the time there is a decrease. I don't like to fall victim to fear mongering. I'm not really afraid, I'm just ignorant to what might really be going on in Mexico and it's difficult to filter through so much information. Being blown up by a grenade just wouldn't be fun. That's all.

Almost daily you will see cruiseships in Mazatlan and other ports on the Mexican Riviera.

They bring thousands of passengers that enjoy their visit. This apart from more thousands staying there during winter.

When in doubt book a shipexcursion.

Indeed crime in various US and cities in Canada and Europe might be higher. (And in various places in the caribean.)

We also have a warning about Mexico

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=184000

we are stopping in several ports in March so we will just be careful of the surroundings & our safety

Basically if you go there you are on your own

Your Government will not help you

From Canadian Government site

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. Travellers are responsible for their own personal safety. The Government of Canada takes the safety and security of Canadians abroad very seriously and provides credible and timely advice in its Travel Reports. In the event of a crisis situation that requires evacuation, the Government of Canada’s policy is to provide safe transportation to the closest safe location. Canada will assist Canadians in leaving a country or a region as a last resort, when all means of commercial or personal transportation have been exhausted. This service is provided on a cost-recovery basis. Onward travel is at the individual’s personal expense. Situations vary from one location to another, and there may be constraints on government resources, which can limit the ability of the Government of Canada to provide assistance, particularly in countries or regions where the potential for violent conflict or political instability are high.

There have been lots of previous posts/threads about general safety in Mexico. There is a war going on between drug cartels and the Mexican government and police. There have been lots of shootings with more happening closer to the border but with incidents all over. The targets are Mexican officials/reporters/ and families of folks who have "wronged" the drug gangs.

I have not heard of stories of tourists being harmed.

Lots of USA citizens have retirement homes in Mexico and live there year round. Ships stop at the ports every day sooooo yes our governments are keeping us informed but it doesn't mean we shouldn't step foot into the country.

1 man killed,1 injured in knife fight outside Costa Mesa hotel

This happened in LA last night...

Chicago recorded 435 homicides in 2010

New York

•City's first murder victim of 2011 in Queens: cops

This is just 3, which appears to be 2 more than Mazatlan.

I am more afraid to go to cities in my own country, than to go to a very "touristy" city in Mexico. Did you know that Mexico has its own "Policia Tourista" These guys' only job is to protect the cities tourists.... I think we are ok to travel to Mexico and such. I think our Government is very much against us spending our US dollar in Mexico, or anywhere else, so they show the very Rare murder instances, then call it a state of warning... maybe they should put police tape around our major metropolitan areas, because there is far more crime/murder in our own country... :-)

<P>

<FONT size=3>There have been lots of previous posts/threads about general safety in Mexico. There is a war going on between drug cartels and the Mexican government and police. There have been lots of shootings with more happening closer to the border but with incidents all over. The targets are Mexican officials/reporters/ and families of folks who have "wronged" the drug gangs.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT size=3>I have not heard of stories of tourists being harmed.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT size=3>Lots of USA citizens have retirement homes in Mexico and live there year round. Ships stop at the ports every day sooooo yes our governments are keeping us informed but it doesn't mean we shouldn't step foot into the country.</FONT></P>

<P>

</P>

The important fact to keep in mind is that there have been no published reports of cruise ship passengers being wounded or killed while visiting the ports of call in this region.  That's the main concern of people considering trips here.

Tourists in other parts of the country, though, have been killed or wounded, as innocent bystanders. This is a war and there's nothing like it in the USA and to make such comparisons or statements that someone feels safer in Mexico than in cities they don't even live in in the USA are made out of ignorance about Mexico and the war.

The port that might be to risky to visit is Acapulco, a destination I have great fondness for and which I have visited at least once yearly for 28 years. Inform yourselves and make a decision that fits with your travel style and level of risk you'll accept.

we just returned from a great new yrs cruise on R. Caribbean and were at regular Mexican ports including Mazatlan, and the day before we were in Mazatlan(last week) there was a shooting in front of the El Cid Hotel where Sr Frogs is, (in Mazatlan), a local told us but we didnt hear who/ what was involved or why. And no L.A. is not like Mexico at all, seems aot of the recent things going on here in L.A. were personal issues against some people. drug cartels are not running thru our streets here shooting people..; we were really surprised to read now the state warnings include travel to Sinaloa (State where Mazatlan is), its too bad and we wish the govt there could fix it so we could return to our 2nd home of Acapulco where yes reguylar people have been held up and or shot at ,who were not involved in drug activities, its scary,..so travel careful and stay in tourist areas as we did and have a great time! (best to be on board ship before nightfall)

we just returned from a great new yrs cruise on R. Caribbean and were at regular Mexican ports including Mazatlan, and the day before we were in Mazatlan(last week) there was a shooting in front of the El Cid Hotel where Sr Frogs is, (in Mazatlan), a local told us but we didnt hear who/ what was involved or why. And no L.A. is not like Mexico at all, seems aot of the recent things going on here in L.A. were personal issues against some people. drug cartels are not running thru our streets here shooting people..; we were really surprised to read now the state warnings include travel to Sinaloa (State where Mazatlan is), its too bad and we wish the govt there could fix it so we could return to our 2nd home of Acapulco where yes reguylar people have been held up and or shot at ,who were not involved in drug activities, its scary,..so travel careful and stay in tourist areas as we did and have a great time! (best to be on board ship before nightfall)

Do your really believe that no innocent people were killed in the US on that same day or in fact any day here? I'll bet if you look up deaths in LA for that very same day, you will find that they had more than Mazatlan did.

Do your really believe that no innocent people were killed in the US on that same day or in fact any day here? I'll bet if you look up deaths in LA for that very same day, you will find that they had more than Mazatlan did.

I agree. When shootings like that occur in the USA or Canada it is hardly mentioned on TV or written about it. But check some newspaper on-line like LA times etc., and you might be surprised.

If it happens in Mexico -no matter where in Mexico - (most of the time it is drugsrelated, not against tourists) it will be shown and written about various times...

Archived