Getting tired of the QM2 bashing

hampshire

We are sailing on QM2 on Monday. I am getting really tired reading all the negative comments regarding QM2. We are platinum members and think she is a great ship. Not the very best available but great value for money. Can someone on board now - please give a less negative update on the Norovirus. I am not interested in hearing about the Captains personality or outdated milk.

If this is any help, we had it on the October lef from NYC to Halifax and back, it was all dealt with, some things were taken away to lessen contact, everything was cleaned extra well.

Please dont worry about it, im sure you will be fine, what they kept saying was wash hands all the time, use the sani gel, I was there and didnt get it, in fact 90% of the ship was fine

We are sailing on QM2 on Monday. I am getting really tired reading all the negative comments regarding QM2. We are platinum members and think she is a great ship. Not the very best available but great value for money. Can someone on board now - please give a less negative update on the Norovirus. I am not interested in hearing about the Captains personality or outdated milk.

Hi hampshire. Apparently, passengers on board are not being officially advised as to the number reported ill. If you are interested knowing the status of the outbreak, the best source seems to be the CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2010/december19queenmary.htm

While the status on that web page hasn't been updated since 28Dec, you can send an email to the CDC and ask for an update cdcinfo@cdc.gov - although I don't know how successful you'd be in getting a reply before your voyage due to the holiday weekend.

BTW, I'm a Platinum WC member too (my most recent QM2 voyage was 27Nov thru 18Dec). I'd be very interested reading in your comments after your 3 Jan voyage.

Bon Voyage & Happy New Year,

Salacia

Amen to that!

Norovirus is a reality to be dealt with by anyone who cruises these days. I have been fortunate enough not to get it, although it has been a problem on several of the cruises I've taken. I think if one goes the extra mile -- washing hands frequently, avoiding the public restrooms, etc -- the chances of coming down with it are greatly diminished. Hopefully, it will be dealt with by the time you board the QM2...and when I board on the 13th of January.

Hampshire, unfortunately the Norovirus outbreak did occur and it reached significant status affecting over 200 souls onboard the QM2. I experienced the illness personally on Boxing day evening and was quarantined for 48 hours following, missing two of my favourite ports of call. I don't particularly feel playing the ostrich is going to really help. I wish I was lucky enough to be in position of being warned that a horrid virus is onboard the ship, prior to my arrival, alas, Cunard didn't tell anyone that a crew member was onboard with the virus in New York and unfortunately I suffered as a result ruining my holiday.

As for the QM2 being a lovely ship, I couldn't agree more, structurally and design wise, she is beautiful, but this is in no way makes up for the worst level of service I have ever received onboard a vessel or on land or indeed for the total lack of cleanliness. The staff were badly trained and rude, in all areas of the ship (with very few exceptions), the food was far below par, and more akin to ferry food, rather than a 'luxury' ship.

Hampshire, I am more than happy to agree with you that the QM2 is a great ship, but I feel sorry for your that you've suffered through this many voyages to make it to platinum level. Our 'festive' voyage would have been better suited for halloween, rather than Christmas considering the horrors that were ready for us.

But, I hope you enjoy your voyage. However, I would like to assure you, there are better lines out there, with much better service and far superior food - perhaps, you'd change your mind if you tried them?

Happy cruising :-)

Cunard didn't tell anyone that a crew member was onboard with the virus in New York

How do you know this was 'Patient Zero'?

With over two and a half thousand passengers boarding it is entirely possible this was brought onboard by one, or more, of them. Who may, or may not, have been honest when filling in the health questionnaire prior to embarkation. Its fairly common at this time of year, and an enclosed environment the perfect breeding ground for it to spread.

Thats a fair point, but the sharp rise in outbreak occurred some 3 days into the cruise. The illness has a 24 hour incubation period, to which one contracts and then displays symptoms. if one looks at official stats (which the doctor freely displayed to anyone that was interested), the sharp rise in incidents occurred some 24 hours, after the end of the crew members quarantine. Coincidence (perhaps) but its a bit closely timed for my liking i am afraid. The sheer fact that it was known to be present on board (regardless of passengers) is enough to highlight significant failings with Cunard (in my opinion anyway).

Hampshire, unfortunately the Norovirus outbreak did occur and it reached significant status affecting over 200 souls onboard the QM2. I experienced the illness personally on Boxing day evening and was quarantined for 48 hours following, missing two of my favourite ports of call. I don't particularly feel playing the ostrich is going to really help. I wish I was lucky enough to be in position of being warned that a horrid virus is onboard the ship, prior to my arrival, alas, Cunard didn't tell anyone that a crew member was onboard with the virus in New York and unfortunately I suffered as a result ruining my holiday.

As for the QM2 being a lovely ship, I couldn't agree more, structurally and design wise, she is beautiful, but this is in no way makes up for the worst level of service I have ever received onboard a vessel or on land or indeed for the total lack of cleanliness. The staff were badly trained and rude, in all areas of the ship (with very few exceptions), the food was far below par, and more akin to ferry food, rather than a 'luxury' ship.

Hampshire, I am more than happy to agree with you that the QM2 is a great ship, but I feel sorry for your that you've suffered through this many voyages to make it to platinum level. Our 'festive' voyage would have been better suited for halloween, rather than Christmas considering the horrors that were ready for us.

But, I hope you enjoy your voyage. However, I would like to assure you, there are better lines out there, with much better service and far superior food - perhaps, you'd change your mind if you tried them?

Happy cruising :-)

Unfortunately I do have to agree, this was NOT a festive caribbean holiday! We also had to miss out on alot beacuse two out of four of us were quarantined and made to feel like criminals to boot. Also on New Years Eve they had to air lift somebody off the ship, while I am sorry for that person, it really pissed me off because we had a special bottle of Dom chilling in our cabin to ring in the New Year, but were not allowed near our cabin to retrieve it. We then requested that they go get it for us since us walking down the hallway would create a security risk?? NO WAY! God forbid they walk down the hall, so we missed out on X-Mas eve and Xmas due to the virus and NYE due to security risk we would pose by going to our cabin! For the 20 g we spent on this trip I am afraid Cunard has seen the last of my money. And yes the ship is beautiful! I brought the bottle of Dom back home!

I remember reading what you wrote about the virus, whilst we were on board, Its such a shame that something like this happened - especially at Christmas. I don't know about you, but after being released from incarceration I found myself more observant to all measures being taken to prevent further outbreaks but regrettably I was permanently disappointed. I've got dozens of photographs depicting the 'window dressing' hygiene levels (especially when embarking/disembarking the ship and within Kings court), for example, there'd be a hand sanitiser proudly displayed at each entrance of kings court, but on more than one evening they were ALL empty or not functioning!

I am rather glad I took all the photos to be honest, having suffered personal injury, they might come in use.

Enjoy your bottle of Champagne, you deserve to celebrate disembarkation and getting home safe.

I remember reading what you wrote about the virus, whilst we were on board, Its such a shame that something like this happened - especially at Christmas. I don't know about you, but after being released from incarceration I found myself more observant to all measures being taken to prevent further outbreaks but regrettably I was permanently disappointed. I've got dozens of photographs depicting the 'window dressing' hygiene levels (especially when embarking/disembarking the ship and within Kings court), for example, there'd be a hand sanitiser proudly displayed at each entrance of kings court, but on more than one evening they were ALL empty or not functioning!

I am rather glad I took all the photos to be honest, having suffered personal injury, they might come in use.

Enjoy your bottle of Champagne, you deserve to celebrate disembarkation and getting home safe.

I am guessing that you are classifying the illness that you had as suffering personal injury--or was there more?

The illness was certainly enough for one 'holiday'. I don't know if you've ever contracted the norovirus, but words can not describe how unpleasant the experience is.

Yes, I am certain it is unpleasant. And I am sure I have had it before. But I just am a little surprised that you call it suffering personal injury. That just seems a little extreme to me. That description of the illness sounds like you are ready to sue. Is that the case?

Also on New Years Eve they had to air lift somebody off the ship, while I am sorry for that person, it really pissed me off because we had a special bottle of Dom chilling in our cabin to ring in the New Year, but were not allowed near our cabin to retrieve it. !

You are indeed a most unfortunate person. I hope both your luck and your priorities improve in the new year.

Unfortunately I do have to agree, this was NOT a festive caribbean holiday! We also had to miss out on alot beacuse two out of four of us were quarantined and made to feel like criminals to boot. Also on New Years Eve they had to air lift somebody off the ship, while I am sorry for that person, it really pissed me off because we had a special bottle of Dom chilling in our cabin to ring in the New Year, but were not allowed near our cabin to retrieve it. We then requested that they go get it for us since us walking down the hallway would create a security risk?? NO WAY! God forbid they walk down the hall, so we missed out on X-Mas eve and Xmas due to the virus and NYE due to security risk we would pose by going to our cabin! For the 20 g we spent on this trip I am afraid Cunard has seen the last of my money. And yes the ship is beautiful! I brought the bottle of Dom back home!

Well I am pleased you could take the Dome off the ship, but I also hope that the person airlifted off is OK and I am sure they are sorry that they made you miss it???? if Cunard say that it is a risk then I am sure they have your safty and others in mind, a small price to pay, what would have done if you had gone to the cabin, got the Dom and than something happened to you, who be to blame.

and yes the ship is indeed beautiful, I am pleased you like it

I'm sure for the 185 passengers and 29 crew involved it was a deeply unpleasant experience. I hope, however, the other 3,503 onboard had a good time!

Yes, it certainly was an unpleasant experience. the amount of passengers who caught the virus is phenomenal: its more than the population of the village I live, its 5 times the size of the school I went to but of course most importantly its an inexcusable amount of people to contract an illness that shouldn't have been onboard in the first place.

Shorebilly, I remember when the helicopter came, and like you i am sorry for that person. But what security risk could you possibly have posed? The staff on board the QM2, must have surely rehearsed events like this during training, and one would imagine this entails minimising disruption to passengers. Your priorities (despite what oldtimetvlr has said) are perfectly in order! you booked (at a premium) a festive cruise, NYE is part of it, Cunard should have made provisions for you (considering the airlift was announced some half an hour (if not more) before it occurred). Cunard really do make the mind boggle.

It's deeply upsetting that such a special cruise was marred by so many problems (especially considering the premium one pays for the festive holiday).

I am sure you feel very similar to us in this regard, we booked a christmas holiday to get away from the stress of Christmas, to relax and be with family. However, what we were confronted with was (and indeed left with) certainly differs greatly from our expectations.

hang on, this virus has been on the ship lingering since october??? dear oh dear, Cunard really does need to get its house in order!

You know, viruses are everywhere, all the time. The norovirus is prevalent in any place there are people. I guess if you don't want to get it then you must stay away from other people all together. And I suspect there is really very little that can be done about it other than washing your hands often. I suspect that the anticeptic stuff used to wash hands isn't worth a hill of beans either--it just gives people a feeling that they are able to control it. Norovirus is simply a fact of life. So please stop blaming Cunard for it.

You know, viruses are everywhere, all the time. The norovirus is prevalent in any place there are people. I guess if you don't want to get it then you must stay away from other people all together. And I suspect there is really very little that can be done about it other than washing your hands often. I suspect that the anticeptic stuff used to wash hands isn't worth a hill of beans either--it just gives people a feeling that they are able to control it. Norovirus is simply a fact of life. So please stop blaming Cunard for it.

Your correct in every way, the virus is everywhere, its been in the UK for a long time, years, the way to combat it on the ship is too use the gel, wash your hands often, clearly people dont, i have seen them use the buffet and not use the gel, and that should stop, Yes will had it in october and those of us who did as we were told did not get it at all, and no one should blame cunard who did everything possible,

In a few weeks I am off to Egypt, I know the score with things there and to protect my self and those with me, i will wash my hands, use the gel, take my own stuff, and do all I can not to get anything nasty, I wonder how many wont

At risk of upsetting people, norovirus is only spread by the poor or reduced hygiene of single individuals not a company. It is only eradicated when we all raise our standards and instead of complaining about inconvieniences we should become more rigid in our hygiene. People only catch it because they let their guard down.

On our cruises we always carry a small bottle of antiseptic hand wash with us in bags or pockets and regularly use it. If we go to the MDR or Buffet and find an empty bottle of handwash we highlight it or seek a bottle at a different entrance. I can't guarentee I wont catch it in such a large ship, but I take steps to reduce my risk and so far so good. If I do get it, it will be because I wasn't personally vigilant and not singlely Cunard's fault.

You catch norovirus on door handles, bannisters etc because someone who is infected has been there before you and been careless, and you have probably contributed by lessening your standards by assuming all is clean.

Once you've got it you need to stop blaming everyone except yourself, and seek to raise your own game. Your attitude should be one of looking forward but instead people dwell on the upset and lo and behold then want to seek redress from Cunard for destroying their dream holiday. Rather than take pictures of empty bottles of hand wash for future litigation, (at this point you clearly have your mind set on future action) you should have taken responsibility to request the bottles were filled.

Sadly we live in world where someone else has to be blamed even when we have contributed ourselves, and as norovirus is as prevalent in any place where large number of people are together (hotels, parties, events etc) we seem to put the blame on the organisations rather than take any personal responsibility.

Rather than just point out what Cunard did wrong (in your opinion of course) what did you do wrong, and what did you do to correct it?icon7.gif

Archived