Getting tired of the QM2 bashing

hampshire

[quote name='polofan']if I had caught this in St. Maarten, over 80 hours would have passed, so verging on impossible. As to the information provided by one user from the Mayo clinic, I however, prefer to use recommendations from internationally recognised, government backed research centres, so the figures I am using (I believe, still stand).

I would like to make one thing clear to ALL those commentating on this thread pontificating over what was or was not done by Cunard - YOU WEREN'T ON BOARD!

There are two CC users commenting on this thread who were, and yet everything we say is being dismissed - perhaps realisation needs to kick in guys. Cunard isn't what you feel it used to be!

As to Law suits, I havent't at any stage said I would pursue the illness, horrific service and lost christmas through the courts, I said however, that I would be fully in my right to do.

To those members who are putting this down to blame culture or 'gung-ho law suits' this is pure nonsense.

And for the record, I was able to take photos, because the situations existed: I reported every fault I observed - NOTHING was done! I complained to the pursers desk so many times, they knew before I spoke what I was going to say. What really upset me however, is seeing incidents and then informing a member of staff about them.
In the Buffet, a kitchen worker who was working the fryer, was sweating profusely (to be expected), but he was wiping his brow, with his plastic glove covered hands, then picking up the food (sweat dripping all over the food). I reported this to a more senior member of staff in the buffet who laughed and said "oh, its hot isn't it"!

Or how about this, the staff member in the buffet who was serving people because we weren't allowed to serve ourselves, scratching her head with the plastic gloves then continuing to serve (no chance of gloves).

or the staff member who walked outside the buffet, lit up a cigarette outside (wearing the gloves) then walked back in and carried on serving. I complained "sir, that couldn't have happened".

Or how about the staff at the gangway in St.Thomas, St.Maarten and St.Lucia, I told them the liquid wash was empty, their reply, "oh, is it...never mind". this was said as dozens of people walked onboard.

Or how about the drinks waiter who wiped the sweat from his brow, then starts to cut a lemon before putting it in my drink.

Or how about midnight mass where shaking hands is customary - but no handwash before entering or leaving?

Or how about my father finding a large plastic strip in his dinner (which looked like it had come from a cigarette pack). we received a letter from the assistant chef after saying "sorry you found it"

Or how about the fact, none of the swimming pools were emptied at all whilst we were onboard, despite international recommendations.

Or how about the vomit on the wall on deck 8 that stayed there for 12 hours

Or how about the disgustingly dirty floors on all decks

or how about the vomit filled toilets on deck 7 (which weren't cleaned for hours).

Or how about the broken and chipped crockery that food was served in on a regular bassi

Or how about the broken and cracked glasses drinks were served in on a regular basis

How about the under cooked meat that was served twice whilst on board

Or how about the staff member who was placing dirty plates under the clean ones,

or how about the staff member who was placing dirty trays back in clean pile without cleaning them

WAS CUNARD DOING EVERYTHING IT COULD??????????

I have never issued a law suit personally, nor has any member of my family issued a law suit. I feel litigation is the last resort and should only be taken under extreme cases.[/QUOTE]
It's funny for the 5 times We've sailed Cunard(QM2)we never once saw anything that you mentioned. Pax were the ones not using the purell, but other than that we never saw any of what you mentioned. I'm the sort who relly pays close attention to what goes on around me(see some of my postings). I do feel that Cunard has slipped, but not in the ways you say. We were in the Grills the last 2 times & nothing has changed from what we see. We do Kingscourt when going on excursions & only noticed boorish behavior from pax & not from the staff.

[quote name='The Real PM']Cap'n, you are always so cool, calm, and collected!!!:)[/quote]

I do feel for polofan and if the situation was as it is reported, which I am sure it was, then it is appalling. Unfortunately whilst we can beat, and have surely beaten this topic to death on this thread, there is really nothing that we can do now. Those that want to travel with Cunard will do so, and those that don't won't. The provision of hand gel is really neither heare nor there as it doesn't stop the virus but it is asymptom of the thought process of the senior management on board. AFAIK the only valid prevention is proper washing of the hands with soap and water on a boringly regular basis.

[quote name='capnpugwash']I do feel for polofan and if the situation was as it is reported, which I am sure it was, then it is appalling. Unfortunately whilst we can beat, and have surely beaten this topic to death on this thread, there is really nothing that we can do now. Those that want to travel with Cunard will do so, and those that don't won't. The provision of hand gel is really neither heare nor there as it doesn't stop the virus but it is asymptom of the thought process of the senior management on board. AFAIK the only valid prevention is proper washing of the hands with soap and water on a boringly regular basis.[/quote]

Yes, I agree. I have read that the gel does little or nothing for a virus as well, but you can not convince those who use it religiously. It makes the ship lines appear as though they are doing something and it makes the passengers feel that they are in control of the situation--until they get the norovirus--then because they feel that they have done everything to control it, they can then blame others. I believe you take a chance, each and every time that you expose yourself to vast numbers of people anywhere and not just on ships. I guess, wash your hands and pray that you are one of the lucky ones.:)

[quote name='keithm']It's funny for the 5 times We've sailed Cunard(QM2)we never once saw anything that you mentioned. Pax were the ones not using the purell, but other than that we never saw any of what you mentioned. I'm the sort who relly pays close attention to what goes on around me(see some of my postings). I do feel that Cunard has slipped, but not in the ways you say. We were in the Grills the last 2 times & nothing has changed from what we see. We do Kingscourt when going on excursions & only noticed boorish behavior from pax & not from the staff.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is funny that you didn't see anything I mentioned, even more so, since you weren't onboard this particular voyage.

The festive cruise just gone (KeithM, I apologise if you were on board the same cruise, I rather jumped to conclusion when issuing my reply).
My concern with the cruise just gone, is that (hand wash aside), not enough was done before the outbreak, and then consequently after it reached red alert status.
I am sure you will have all guessed I feel tremendously vexed by the entire situation (many days after disembarkation).
I have been on many cruises, and the reason we return time after time to them, is the relaxed feeling your left with after disembarkation.
This time however, I feel stressed, unhappy and deeply resentful that my Christmas holiday didn't turn out the way it should have done.
This year has been incredibly tough for us, with several family members being very unwell, and regrettably one never recovered. So, this holiday was not just a festive cruise, it was a means of escape.
As I have mentioned previously, we booked Cunard, for the same reasons many of you are regular customers, its renowned reputation for excellence. We felt we would treat ourselves this Christmas and go the extra mile with Cunard.
But, This cruise was just the icing on an already soured cake of a year.

I am more than happy to accept that our experience was not the normal Cunard experience, but with regret our experience departed significantly from this. And our experience was not a happy one.

Perhaps, in time after the deep resentment emanating from this experience, we might give Cunard another go. But it is certainly not on our radar currently.

well its not for me to say your wrong, i for one can only say what i have seen on quite a few voyages,

One thing I would say is that in newport USA as we boarded the guys seeing everyone on board stopped all the crew and watched every single one of them use the handwash gel, also all the passengers were watched doing it.

as you entered every restaurant or indeed left, you were asked to use the gel.

the sunday mass did the same.

where it was on your voyage is mystery, but if there was nothing then it was wrong, odd, but wrong

I think you've pinpointed exactly the issue, It was odd not to have all measures adhered to (which you would expect, especially at this time of year) and the result of these omissions sadly was lowered standards.

[quote name='polofan']I think you've pinpointed exactly the issue, It was odd not to have all measures adhered to (which you would expect, especially at this time of year) and the result of these omissions sadly was lowered standards.[/quote]

Okay, well, whatever happened on your voyage and on my voyage with the ourbreaks and how it was all delat I really would get so stressed about it, it is not worth the stress, we have all been on different voyages and seen different things.

I have to say QM2 is still my favourite ship, maybe that will change this year with three P&O voyages, lets see

I was also aboard in late October when we had some noro cases. A shop--keeper in Bar Harbor told me that quite a few ships visiting the previous weeks had noro aboard also so it was not only the QM2.
Presently in Canada we have a high incidence of flu and colds. You can't escape it wherever you go whether on land or at sea.

[quote name='polofan']The festive cruise just gone (KeithM, I apologise if you were on board the same cruise, I rather jumped to conclusion when issuing my reply).
My concern with the cruise just gone, is that (hand wash aside), not enough was done before the outbreak, and then consequently after it reached red alert status.
I am sure you will have all guessed I feel tremendously vexed by the entire situation (many days after disembarkation).
I have been on many cruises, and the reason we return time after time to them, is the relaxed feeling your left with after disembarkation.
This time however, I feel stressed, unhappy and deeply resentful that my Christmas holiday didn't turn out the way it should have done.
This year has been incredibly tough for us, with several family members being very unwell, and regrettably one never recovered. So, this holiday was not just a festive cruise, it was a means of escape.
As I have mentioned previously, we booked Cunard, for the same reasons many of you are regular customers, its renowned reputation for excellence. We felt we would treat ourselves this Christmas and go the extra mile with Cunard.
But, This cruise was just the icing on an already soured cake of a year.

I am more than happy to accept that our experience was not the normal Cunard experience, but with regret our experience departed significantly from this. And our experience was not a happy one.

Perhaps, in time after the deep resentment emanating from this experience, we might give Cunard another go. But it is certainly not on our radar currently.[/quote]

Well, life is filled with all sorts of risks and disappointments. Often, it just comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, holding onto your anger is probably doing you more harm than the Norovirus. Time to move on...

[quote name='rob6852']Your correct in every way, the virus is everywhere, its been in the UK for a long time, years, the way to combat it on the ship is too use the gel, wash your hands often, clearly people dont, i have seen them use the buffet and not use the gel, and that should stop, Yes will had it in october and those of us who did as we were told did not get it at all, and no one should blame cunard who did everything possible,

In a few weeks I am off to Egypt, I know the score with things there and to protect my self and those with me, i will wash my hands, use the gel, take my own stuff, and do all I can not to get anything nasty, I wonder how many wont[/quote]

And may I suggest you bring along toilet seat covers and TP (take the cardboard roll out and squish it in your bag). The bathrooms in the Egyptian Museum are quite unpleasant.

[QUOTE=The Real PM;]You know, viruses are everywhere, all the time. The norovirus is prevalent in any place there are people. I guess if you don't want to get it then you must stay away from other people all together. And I suspect there is really very little that can be done about it other than washing your hands often. I suspect that the anticeptic stuff used to wash hands isn't worth a hill of beans either--it just gives people a feeling that they are able to control it. Norovirus is simply a fact of life. So please stop blaming Cunard for it.[/QUOTE]

How right you are,since Nov in my office 5 out of 9 people have had a similar virus,any confined space and people can do it.Look at the rest of the boards RC,Fred Olsen and P&O have all had it.I understand it was a Christmas cruise and people have high expectations anyway but.
It does not put me off Cunard plus in my experience medical care on Cunard if you are I'll is first class

I have already posted my feelings on the festive cruise. I have sailed on the QM2 13 times and recommended it to friends and familly I loved the ship. I was fortunate that no one in my familly caught Noro. But like Polofan said the levels of cleanliness all around the ship were awful, service was awfull. One night we ordered room service for my daughter her pizza and chips took one hour fourty five minutes to arrive and when it came was stone cold. Dishes were dirty lipstick marks bit of food stuck to plates. The bottom of the pools were awfull with a layer of dirt at the botom. The ship was a disgrace Cunard has a duty of care to its passengers and in this case that was breached. The cruise was a nightmare it was just one thing after the other. I personally feel that Cunard management made such an effort on the QE launch that they neglected the QM2 and as a result their flagship has become somewhat of an oversised ferry.

[quote name='Ballater']And may I suggest you bring along toilet seat covers and TP (take the cardboard roll out and squish it in your bag). The bathrooms in the Egyptian Museum are quite unpleasant.[/quote]

Thank you for that info, i have wet wipes etc and was going to a box but the simple things like removing the cardboard is a great idea.

I think I have it all covered, but you always find something, many thanks

[quote name='Alba50']I have already posted my feelings on the festive cruise. I have sailed on the QM2 13 times and recommended it to friends and familly I loved the ship. I was fortunate that no one in my familly caught Noro. But like Polofan said the levels of cleanliness all around the ship were awful, service was awfull. One night we ordered room service for my daughter her pizza and chips took one hour fourty five minutes to arrive and when it came was stone cold. Dishes were dirty lipstick marks bit of food stuck to plates. The bottom of the pools were awfull with a layer of dirt at the botom. The ship was a disgrace Cunard has a duty of care to its passengers and in this case that was breached. The cruise was a nightmare it was just one thing after the other. I personally feel that Cunard management made such an effort on the QE launch that they neglected the QM2 and as a result their flagship has become somewhat of an oversised ferry.[/quote]

while I am sure everything yous say is right, I find it so hard to understand the decline of the ship in a mere 2 weeks, I have had many voyages and my last ended in November, we had the virus onboard at one point, but nothing like this was there, maybe I was lucky.

Will this all put me off, no way, I am back on again this year and on the QE and I am ready to book for 2012.

But this is all really so bad, I am sure you took photos of all this and maybe we can see them, can you post them on here for us to see

at least no one in your family was affected by this

i did not take any photos because, believe it or not, I kept trying to look at the bright side. After all my husband spent a fortune on this trip trying to make a fantastic voyage for everyone. He brought us all surprise jewlery gifts (mine being pretty damned awesome) and other little things and I could tell he was very disappointed at the way things were going. But, truth be told the ship got VERY dirty, at one point there was so much filth in the hallways you really had to keep your blinders on to not retch from that alone. Dirty glasses were the norm, not just in Kings Court, but several times I had to call to get clean glasses in our cabin, after a few days I just rewashed the glasses they would bring, there was plenty of hot water. I am not trying to be a Cunard basher, I just feel that on this particular cruise, they did not live up to standards that I would expect from even a lowly line like Carnival. Actually several meals I have had much better on Carnival and the beds are a Huge step up on Carnival from the lumpy thing on Cunard. They had very little enrichment on board, no RADA ever, only very overcrowded dance lessons, Knitting circles really(?), and 1/2 hour planetarium shows. All of the details that I heard Cunard was famous for seemed to be missing from this cruise. The few times we ordered room service it took forever and would arrive cold, I waited over an hour for chicken broth with crackers and got a luke warm bowl of brown salt water and stale crackers, add all this to the price paid and well....Next year I am probably going to try Regent or just do a land based island adventure, 3-4 days per island.

[quote name='Alba50']I have already posted my feelings on the festive cruise. I have sailed on the QM2 13 times and recommended it to friends and familly I loved the ship. I was fortunate that no one in my familly caught Noro. But like Polofan said the levels of cleanliness all around the ship were awful, service was awfull. One night we ordered room service for my daughter her pizza and chips took one hour fourty five minutes to arrive and when it came was stone cold. Dishes were dirty lipstick marks bit of food stuck to plates. The bottom of the pools were awfull with a layer of dirt at the botom. The ship was a disgrace Cunard has a duty of care to its passengers and in this case that was breached. The cruise was a nightmare it was just one thing after the other. I personally feel that Cunard management made such an effort on the QE launch that they neglected the QM2 and as a result their flagship has become somewhat of an oversised ferry.[/QUOTE]

You and Polofan have both described totally unacceptable conditions onboard. Did you bring these problems to the attention of management immediately? I ask this because on one of our crossings, when there was an ongoing issue with the quality of certain food, our table companion complained to the Hotel Manager. There was a resolution to the problem.

In Nov, on QM2 there were quite a few problems, I spoke with the Maitre'D, no resolution, his attitude was a metaphoric shrug of the shoulder.

I wrote a letter to Hotel Manager/Food and Beverage Manager, handed it in to Pursers desk, no response, not even a phone call.

So I am not suprised at the events mentioned on the Festive Cruise.

I am suprised at the reports of a 3 day "lock down" on QV and QE at present, "to prevent Norvirus coming aboard before World Cruise"

Are they going to have 3 day lock down after every port on the World Cruise.?

Then I read that on the QE in the Princess Grill, after Captains Cocktail Party, there was "no a la carte, in order that all the people coming from the party would not be tempted order from the a la carte "!

So in order to please the kitchen staff, the Food Manager/Excutive Chef, prefered to curtail the choice and service to Grill passengers????

I complained on numerous occasions both orally and in formal letters. My complaints regarding the service and food quality in the restaurant were brought the attention of the Maitre D, who came over with a little note bad and listened to our grievances. Regrettably, the night after, my father had a piece of plastic in his food, and the night after that, we all sent out main courses back because they were awful (all different selections by the way). We kept complaining but nothing was getting done. Following the plastic in the food, the assistant chef wrote to us, saying "I am sorry you found it" , after this, all hopes of improvement were lost.
I am glad I am not the only one who noticed these things whilst onboard, it is such a shame, as we were looking forward to it so much.

I would take the comment about moving on (if the circumstances were different), But, this really surpasses acquiescence.

Archived