Adventure Ocean on Freedom of the Seas

Cinbub

We are a group of 11 traveling on Freedom of the Seas in March, we have 5 kids; two-12yrs, one-11yrs, two-8yrs. So, would like the 3 younger kids to be able to go to be in the same adventure ocean group (6-8 or 9-11). Does anyone know if RCI will allow kids in the same family/group to stay together in the same group, or is the age strictly enforced?

Any info you can provide would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks much

PS. I oringinally posted this on the RCI forum, but then noticed this one, sorry if some of you noticed it was a repeat...I am a rookie to CC!

They may let the older child move down, but they seldom let the younger kids move up...The eleven year old would be bored stiff in the younger group, and the 9-11 group wouldn't want the little kids in with them....

If you take all the kids to the orientation, they will quickly meet friends their own age...it's not like they'd be in there 24/7.....for a few hours a day, they can be apart.

It's my understanding that the "official policy" is to put the child in the proper age group, HOWEVER...I've heard that the counselors onboard the ship can be more willing to accomodate. I believe what I read said that the child you want to move up has to attend a session in the proper age group and will be observed by staff. If the staff feels that child can handle moving up a group, they will allow it for the rest of the cruise. I don't think it would be considered if it's more than a year jump (they might let an 8 year old into 9-11, but not a 7). In the end, you won't know until you board - if you ask ahead of time, you will always be given the "official policy".

Really depends on the particular ship and time. And how many kids are in each age group. You'll be travelling spring break, right? Might be crowded. No make that - probably be crowded. You won't know for sure till you get there, but they go to great lengths to ensure all the kids have fun.

we found on the IOS and EOS (with basically the same camps) that they were more flexible on some days than others. Generally, they don't let you go up in age (at is an 11 in the 12-15) but the older ones are able to age down. I agree with cb at sea... the 12 yo would be bored with the younger kids though. In the end it's likely going to be determined more by space and avials. There are counselors and a manager who would make the decision.

In general, our boys have enjoyed the camps, especially at night, and have always made friends there as well. Some they still keep in touch with via facebook.

What the others have said. They are willing to work with you and probably more willing to move down a group. It all depends on the counselors and you must ask NICELY.

My 6 year old moved between the 3 -5 year olds and the 6 - 8 year olds daily. :rolleyes: She was at the age to be in the 6-8's with her older sister because they combined them with the 9-11's but maturity wise, she needed to be with the 3-5's. So she kept moving back to be with the "baby group" as she called it. They worked with her (Thank heaven!). Some counselors were more understanding than others. Some kept giving ME a hard time about it. Some counselors just got over it and allowed my youngest to move back and forth between the groups based on the activity that she was participating in.

I know that my youngest was the exception, not the rule. I haven't ever seen anyone else talk about the counselors allowing their child to move back and forth between groups at will. I was very lucky on our last RCI cruise. I don't know that I will be so lucky on our next one. ;)

one other thought... the camps are pretty much come and go... not all of the children stay the whole time. As such the group comingle a lot and do things together at times. also, some of the things are outside of the camp (say on the sports court or around the ship). For example, my at the time 12 yo was in the 12-15 group. They were doing a scavenger hunt around the ship. My 10 yo was in the 9-11 group, but went along with him and his group. the funny thing was that they won the hunt and everyone on the team got a RCCL backpack (actually decent prize) and they gave him one also. There is one night that they do a dinner in the Johnny Rockets (cost extra) and that was open to all ages. So, there is some flexibility at times. Again, I would echo what others have said, use some common sense and be a little patient with the counselors. They have their hands full on spring break time weeks.

There is one night that they do a dinner in the Johnny Rockets (cost extra) and that was open to all ages. So, there is some flexibility at times.

When did they start charging for the kid dinners at Johny Rockets? :eek::eek::eek:

They never have before. Is this a recent thing? Was it because you had a child in the teen group? Details please!

I will be very annoyed if they start trying to charge for Kid Dinners when then never have before. :rolleyes:

EDITED TO ADD -- checking your signature, you were last on a Freedom class in April of 2009? They charged you back in 2009?

When did they start charging for the kid dinners at Johny Rockets? :eek::eek::eek:

SG it's only for the dinner on the night they go to Johnny Rockets (which is a premium cost anyway)...so it's the same cost that it would be if they went. If they take them to the windjammer (buffet) then there is no cost.

They never have before. Is this a recent thing? Was it because you had a child in the teen group? Details please!

SG I don't know if it's recent or not (we last cruised in April 09), but it seems to be the norm on the nights they had dinner.

I will be very annoyed if they start trying to charge for Kid Dinners when then never have before. :rolleyes:

SG Again, I think it's not the usual since they usually don't have the camp over dinner so I think it's a special thing for the night that they have it. I would probably refer you to RCCL for the most correct up to date details.

EDITED TO ADD -- checking your signature, you were last on a Freedom class in April of 2009? They charged you back in 2009?

see above. summarily I think that there is generally not a cost fo the camp unless there is something special that you can opt in to. The dinner was something like this. Our boys really liked it though and we felt it was worth it. The same night that they went to johnny rockets, we went to the speciallity steak house ... blanking on the name ... for our anniversary... which was $20 pp I think and well worth it. Hope this all helps.

as for the charge... I think Johnny Rockets is always a charge ... $&? $7? whether you go via the camp or just go there. The night they took the children there was a special opt in thing. I forget the specific details beyond that. At the same time, they did have this charge in 09 and I presume they still do. We could check the RCCL site to see if this is still the case.

see above. summarily I think that there is generally not a cost fo the camp unless there is something special that you can opt in to. The dinner was something like this. Our boys really liked it though and we felt it was worth it. The same night that they went to johnny rockets, we went to the speciallity steak house ... blanking on the name ... for our anniversary... which was $20 pp I think and well worth it. Hope this all helps.

as for the charge... I think Johnny Rockets is always a charge ... $&? $7? whether you go via the camp or just go there. The night they took the children there was a special opt in thing. I forget the specific details beyond that. At the same time, they did have this charge in 09 and I presume they still do. We could check the RCCL site to see if this is still the case.

Johnny Rockets has a charge of $4.95pp when you go there on your own. There has never been a charge when you opt your child in during Adventure Ocean and go there for the Kid Dinner. That's why I was in shock for a moment.

Chops, the steakhouse, yes there is a charge for that.

My kids were on a Freedom Class ship in 2009 and we didn't pay for Johnny Rockets. I thought you were on sooner than I was.

The Lunch & Play is $7.95pp -- maybe thats what you were thinking of? Its available during the normally closed times on a sea day.

EDITED TO ADD...I went and grabbed one of the Family Board pages from Liberty of the Seas. They aren't charging for Johnny Rockets. Phew!

LibertyAges3-5Day3.jpg

Thanks for all your replies to my age restriction query. I guess will wait and see how busy it is, and what the councellors can do.

We are going March 6, so I don't believe it is "Spring Break" season yet, although it is our "March Break" in New Brunswick, Canada. So hopefully there will not be as many kids...(guess that could be good and bad), as I would like them to make new friends from different places...

Another question - Do the kids all get braclets (muster station info, cabin #, etc.)?

Thanks again,

The children all get bracelets when you board and I think they got an additional one at the camp. They also get a lanyard that they can put their keys on that is camp based. The ship and RCCL in general are very good about that (I imagine all cruise lines are).

Another question - Do the kids all get braclets (muster station info, cabin #, etc.)?

Thanks again,

There is an age for it. It's like "Under 12" but I don't know the exact cut off since my girls haven't hit it yet. Maybe someone with an older child might remember the exact age cut off.

The YEP braclets have the muster station on them -- not the cabin number. They are called YEP for "Youth Evacuation Plan".

I called RCCL today just to clarify. What MIchele just posted is correct. **Nice job!** The ships "YEP" bracelets are issued when you board, the camp ones are issued by the camp. Of course, not all children go to the camp but all have to be aware of the muster stations if needed. When our children went last time, the ship (I may have posted that the camp) gave out the lanyards. They also punch a hole in their rooms keys which limits what they can buy (as if they wold serve a pina colada to a 10 year old). I think that safety is clearly their primary concern as it should be. They (RCCL) did tell me that the camps are pretty consistent ship to ship in terms of policy and that they try to 'accomadate' families with multiple siblings are much as possible. They did say that on 'high volume weeks' (read Spring Break), that they had to stick to 'protocol' and had less flexibility. Fair enough.

Anyway, I think that it's all good. Hope this helps.

The bracelets are for 12 and under. My son turned 12 during one of our cruises. They made him put the bracelet on upon boarding even with him pleading I will 12 in a few days. The morning of his birthday he took it off.

also, Michele.. how do you get your pics to rotate on your sig file. that's really nice. great pics too.

well done.

Its a combination of two programs -- Jasc Animation Shop and Adobe PhotoShop. Simply put, I created blocks of pictures and then animated them, then uploaded them to photobucket. :)

The bracelets are for 12 and under. My son turned 12 during one of our cruises. They made him put the bracelet on upon boarding even with him pleading I will 12 in a few days. The morning of his birthday he took it off.

HAHAHAHAHA, he is such a boy! :D

Its a combination of two programs -- Jasc Animation Shop and Adobe PhotoShop. Simply put, I created blocks of pictures and then animated them, then uploaded them to photobucket. :)]

Very cool. I'll have to try that. I have PS and Photobucket, but not the Animation shop. I do have PS Premier, maybe that would work. Either way, it looks great. well done.

Michelle & Capt. Steve,

Thanks so much for all the great info...I love to be prepared so these details help allot!

Thanks Steve for making the call to RCCL...that is just going above and beyond, and it truly appreciated!

Happy Cruising....to you both.

Cindy

Cindy

no problem. I thought it was worth making sure we got the most up to date info. We cruise once every 2 years of so and I am sure that policies and realities change. Better to go right to the source.

We are looking forward to hitting the waves soon!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived