Khan al-Khalili bazaar question.

clraze

We're going to be staying at the Marriott in Cairo on our overnight with Ramses tours. How late is it open? Do I need a guide? Can I use dollars? And has anyone had a good experience there? I'd really like to go, but it may late in the day, or early in the afternoon since I think the first day off the ship we'll be going to the different pyramid sights. Thanks so any info, the guide books don't have a lot to say about shopping there. Claire Z

We're going to be staying at the Marriott in Cairo on our overnight with Ramses tours. How late is it open? Do I need a guide? Can I use dollars? And has anyone had a good experience there? I'd really like to go, but it may late in the day, or early in the afternoon since I think the first day off the ship we'll be going to the different pyramid sights. Thanks so any info, the guide books don't have a lot to say about shopping there. Claire Z

We spent about 2.5 hrs there this past September in the middle of the afternoon. We felt perfectly safe but ended up in some dead ends and had to double back to find our way. We used USD for purchases and one never pays the listed/suggested price. It's a great place for photos too.

We are going to try the same strategy, we aren't staying out by the Pyramids either and want to stay in Cairo and do the Bazaar on our own.

From what Cruisemom has told me we'll be fine and I'll be interested in the responses to your post too.:)

You do not need a guide to visit Khan el Khalili, and it is fine to visit during the day or evening. The more touristy shops are closer to the entrances, but wandering around (including some of the dead-end streets mentioned) will allow you to see some of the more interesting and picturesque parts of the bazaar.

As a caveat, I will say that I have enjoyed the Khan el Khalili more as a feast for the eyes and place to take photos than as a shopping experience. If you are going primarily to shop, be aware that most of the small (cheap) souvenirs are not made in Egypt but may actually be from China!

Some things to look for that are traditionally Egyptian include inlaid mother-of-pearl boxes, small blown-glass perfume bottles, alabaster, and brassware. Papyrus sold on the street is generally fake.

You can get great photos of stalls with loose spices, brassware, jewelry, narghili (water pipes) and so on. I have some nice photos of a stall with antique brass, including the large pieces that traditionally are placed atop minarets. Don't forget to look up at the carved wooden lattices screening some second-storey windows (to protect the modesty of the women within and keep them from being seen on the street).

Merchants will happily take dollars, but you'll probably get better deals if you use Egyptian pounds. Either way, if you'd rather not exchange money, you don't have to. As someone else said, you are expected to bargain.

Hope this helps!

Archived