Time to Rhyme! Cruisinetta's building the Rhymedam!

Spinner2

Sevenseasnomad, Cruisinetta can tell you more, but usually, on the program you'll have delivered each night to your cabin (and you'll get one when you check in) you should see something like "Shipbuilding Contest Sign-ups" on the program the first full day of the cruise. Somebody on the Cruise Director's staff will be up by the Lido pool (usually; could be someplace else) at the appointed time and if you drop by you'll be able to pick up an information sheet that describes what you have to do and you can sign the register to indicate that you're hoping to enter.

You need to know that by no means do any of the other entries look like Cruisinetta's fabulous work! People will generally use things like popcorn cups, trays (if you can find one :)), plastic bottles and such to make their models. Walk around the ship with a creative eye; see what you might use; the staff is very cooperative. I'm sure that people who know they'll want to do this probably bring their own scissors and such; I bring scissors to trim up nametags for the CC Meet & Greet and I'm not going to build anything! It's not uncommon for people to have items like that in their luggage.

Every contest seems to have its own personality; often the Cruise Director sets the tone. Everyone will gently set their boats into the jacuzzi to make sure it doesn't fall apart and sink; if that goes ok, they'll load some soda cans onto it (the contest rules will tell you how many so you can plan to make room for them) and try the ship in the water again to see if it stays afloat. Judges will come from somewhere; usually the staff person in charge will choose them from the audience. Sometimes they are told to judge on their own criteria; sometimes it is by audience applause (and some builders bring a BIG fan group); you never know. It's all in fun and beauty is sometimes in the eye of the beholder. I've seen gorgeous models win; I've seen the oddest combination of 2-liter soda bottles and duct tape win against some nice-looking items. Just plan to have a good time making and sailing it!

The most minimally-acceptable (floated and held 6 cans of soda) model that I've found appealing had a very simple concept--and no, Cruisinetta wasn't there; this person wasn't competing against her. This builder got one plastic shopping bag and 2 two-liter soda bottles. Using tape or string, one loop of the bag was slipped over one bottle neck, pointing toward the left, and secured. The other bottle's neck was slipped through the other loop of the bag, pointing right. The effect was two soda bottles, necks pointing in opposite directions, side by side and parallel with each other. For the first trial in the water the bag part was tacked up on the top of the 2-bottle pair and of course the ship floated. Empty soda bottles float! Then for the weight test, the bag was lowered and the 6 cans of soda were place in it. Then when the model went back in the water the bag with cans in it hung down into the water and the 2 empty soda bottles still provided enough bouyancy to float the whole thing. So simple, and so effective! But of course nowhere near as cute as what Cruisinetta does!

Think about what you might want to do and where you might get your supplies. Ask Cruisinetta for more ideas! The more people that enter, the more likely that these contests will continue.

First let me answer the question about the ghost with horns. When one of my ships loses, I take a part of it and it sails on all ships being built in the future. The ghost is from the Boodam which lost. The Halraiserdam lost, so that's why the ghost has horns. There is also an ant on the bow of all ships. It's there because the Antsterdam lost. If this ship had lost, I would have taken the bar that the ghost is the bartender of and used it on future ships. The next ship will be built on the Zuiderdam, April 12th cruise. It will be called the Sheepledam via Joanie IRL. Should be a very interesting ship.

As for the contest, request it the first day and they will offer it to you. What I do is when I am in charge of a Meet & Greet, ask the person in charge of that ship to relay to the CD that you want the shipbuilding contest. If you are not in charge of your M & G, get the person who is organizing the M & G to do it for you. The name of the contest is "Whatever Floats Your Boat". They will have it listed in the nightly program and designate a place to sign up for the contest. They will give you a copy of the rules. I hope more people do this contest so that we can keep it on HAL. Good luck to all you future shipbuilders. This contest is a hoot.

There were, Cruisinetta reports, 3 other entries. They look pretty good; many times they don't look even this good, so those thinking of starting to enter, don't get the idea that this is typical competition either. And of course, the shorter the cruise, the less time people have to work on them.

So, here are the photos that Cruisinetta sent; in one of them you can see the Rhymedam in the background.

rhymedamother1.jpg

rhymedamother2.jpg

rhymedamother3.jpg

Cruisinetta, what's the Wine Barge made from? Other than the corks around the top; I can tell what those are!

It looked like a carved out wooden bowl. Don't know where they got it from but it was pretty cool. It held all 12 cans of Coke as did the other two. The ship where you can see a piece of the Rhymedam, believe it or not, held 12 cans of Coke too. Very entertaining competition.

Thank you for the invite. It would great except for the fact we are booked on the Rotterdam on Oct. 25. We are very much interested in doing a Hawaiian cruise again though since we missed so tours (we have a story there to tell why, but another time). Looks like it will no sooner than 2012. Will keeping an eye on your bookings. Our TA feels the month Apr. is the best time to go, you agree? Also thinking about the Sea of Cortez cruise too sometime,what time of year is the good for that cruise?

I don't think that answer has been given. They are made from plastic spoons and carrots. :D

Then I guessed right in my post quoted below! :D

Ditto what Williebill said! Lynn this will be another winner, no doubt. :D

I'll take a guess and say the lifeboats are parts of plastic spoons....:confused:

Thank you for the invite. It would great except for the fact we are booked on the Rotterdam on Oct. 25. We are very much interested in doing a Hawaiian cruise again though since we missed so tours (we have a story there to tell why, but another time). Looks like it will no sooner than 2012. Will keeping an eye on your bookings. Our TA feels the month Apr. is the best time to go, you agree? Also thinking about the Sea of Cortez cruise too sometime,what time of year is the good for that cruise?

Hi Borden! As I told Lynn, we have the same reason we can't join her again, we'll be returning on the same day her cruise leaves. About the Sea of Cortez, be sure you go in 2011, it isn't offered in 2012!! :(

Thank you for that information, we will have to look into that. How are the plans for your Oct. cruise going? We haven't started yet, not even flights. We are a little concerned about how strenous the tours will be on us old folks.

Thank you for that information, we will have to look into that. How are the plans for your Oct. cruise going? We haven't started yet, not even flights. We are a little concerned about how strenous the tours will be on us old folks.

Sooo excited, and it's 9 months away! Will be doing an 8-day land trip first, at least the hotels for that are booked, and one excursion so far. :D I know you'll have a great time, and you and Monique aren't old! ;)

Archived