Uniworld - Moscow to St Petersburg May 20th, 2011

seabee22

My Russia by River book came from Amazon. It was a second hand book mailed by the person who sold it, from a CA address. I only recieved the one copy, not 2 as I thought I might. It really is a good source. My DH has been checking it out first!

We have submitted our visa request, I only hope we don't have to correct anything. I think I must've called ZVS 3 times to make sure I had everything right before I submitted.

Everything else is just WAIT! I am getting excited though. Can't wait to hear reviews hear from Seabees!

Hello everyone - :D

Just came from our Travel Agent' office - Russia Visa's, passport photos, letter to Russian Gen. Consul in Houston ( notify of visit ) confirmed flight info. looked at Uniworld stuff... - so I guess we are ready to go ?

Question - does anyone know how many Russian Ruples we should take ?

The exchange rate is about 30 to 1 Dollar ( so says my agent ) so rule of thumb would be 3 X what the local price is in Ruples ....... round numbers. Sounds like a lot of Ruples will be needed in local towns, and even for tipping, etc.

Any suggestions - anyone ever been before ???

Thanks -

Seabee22

PS - @ Kellie - glad to hear you are getting your book .... :)

My Russia by River book came from Amazon. It was a second hand book mailed by the person who sold it, from a CA address. I only recieved the one copy, not 2 as I thought I might. It really is a good source. My DH has been checking it out first!

We have submitted our visa request, I only hope we don't have to correct anything. I think I must've called ZVS 3 times to make sure I had everything right before I submitted.

Everything else is just WAIT! I am getting excited though. Can't wait to hear reviews hear from Seabees!

Hello cruizinggrama..... I thought of you this past weekend as we were in Houston for the Final Four, and there was about 100 people in our hotel with Kansas Wildcats shirts on .....

Happy to hear you received your book....

I am really getting excited about our trip - and will give everyone "my opinion" upon our return...

Seabee22:D

Seebee22-

We used the ATM machine at the Moscow airport to get rubles when we arrived. We got 8000 rubles which was about $320 in 2007. We never needed to get more. We used American money for tips and credit cards when we could. Often small vendors also took American. On the boat we tipped in US Dollars. We never needed to get more rubles.

Carol

Seebee22-

We used the ATM machine at the Moscow airport to get rubles when we arrived. We got 8000 rubles which was about $320 in 2007. We never needed to get more. We used American money for tips and credit cards when we could. Often small vendors also took American. On the boat we tipped in US Dollars. We never needed to get more rubles.

Carol

Carol

Thank you so very much for the answer and information...

We were concerned and have heard a few stories that we would have to have Rubles only for the local shops.... tips, and etc. Sounds like the good old America dollar is still good in most places.... When we were in China last October, we found that most of the hotels, guides, and vendors wanted dollars....

Thanks again - Seabee22:D

Sorry about my Kansas post - it turns out that my wife knows more about sports than I do ... It was the Kentucky Wildcats - not Kansas that were stying at our hotel in Houston ... duh ///?? ...

Seabee22:confused:

We were ALL hoping it would be the Kansas Jayhawks in the final four, but those darn VCU people got the best of us. There is a joke going around about how many 'sunflower seeds' to eat, and the answer is "Don't give a Jayhawk more than 11 seeds or they will choke!)

Got our visas and passports back in the mail today! That means we are really going!!

I was wondering about $$ too. We ususally get some from the ATM at the airport so thanks for the tip. I know we heard that the River Victoria would have SOME money but you can't expect them to have enough for everyone.

My "Russia by River" and the companion "River Cruise Phrasebook" arrived today.

I also took our visa applications, etc. to the UPS store today and sent them out. I hope I filled in the form correctly. ZVS was helpful, but I still found the form intimidating. I did get the Russian phone number for Amakatarina from AMA. If anyone needs it for their own visa application, email me.

I'm very nervous about the visa process. The only other visa I have ever needed was New Zealand and that was a piece of cake on the Internet. The last two places I worked are out of business. I was able to supply a street address for one, but only a city where the headquarters was for the 2nd.

Taking a deep breath, here in 90+°F way-south Texas.

• 1 month later...

Passports and Visas, travel documents and picking up Rubles today,,,,all we have to do now is pack as we leave for Moscow on May 19th .... in 8 days !!!!!!

Seabee:D and Shipmate:)

Plano, Texas

I'll be curious as to how much $$ in rubles you really needed after you get back. Have a great time!

Lynette

I will report back on this site when we return in June just how many we needed.... I purchased $500 worth at the Travels Exchange ( Thomas Cook ) so we shall see how far that goes. We are being told by TA and Uniworld that the US $ is taken in most places now, and that Mastercard and / or Visa is accepted in stores. However, the Vendors and small shops do not....

We are packed ... and all set to leave tomorrow morning for Moscow.

Seabee22 :Dand Shipmate:)

I will report back on this site when we return in June just how many we needed.... I purchased $500 worth at the Travels Exchange ( Thomas Cook ) so we shall see how far that goes. We are being told by TA and Uniworld that the US $ is taken in most places now, and that Mastercard and / or Visa is accepted in stores. However, the Vendors and small shops do not....

We are packed ... and all set to leave tomorrow morning for Moscow.

Seabee22 :Dand Shipmate:)

Seabee, what kind of rate did you get for Rubles from Thomas Cook?

We are also going to Ukraine and the Baltics. I am not sure how much local money to buy when I am in Kiev only 4 days and the other three countries two days each?

More books that I recommend:

I just read "From Nyet to Da" and recommend it highly. Also, Anna Karena is my all time favorite work of literature.

Also, recommend 2011 edition of Frommer's Moscow and St. Petersburg, as well as Insight, City Guide, St. Petersburg.

We are also going to Ukraine and the Baltics. I am not sure how much local money to buy when I am in Kiev only 4 days and the other three countries two days each?

I just read "From Nyet to Da" and recommend it highly. Also, Anna Karena is my all time favorite work of literature.

Also, recommend 2011 edition of Frommer's Moscow and St. Petersburg, as well as Insight, City Guide, St. Petersburg.

I'm currently reading Anna Karinena on my Nook right now. Definitely entertaining!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all concerned :

We arrived home ( Plano, TX ) last evening after a 12 hour airplane trip from St. Petersburg, Russia - ( most confusing airport I have ever been in)

and a + 9 hour time zone change ..... back wards.

The trip was pretty much as expected, - however not without some " First of the Year - Inaugural Cruise / Start up problems " by Uniworld. We arrived in Moscow after a 12 hour flight via Washington, Dullas and were greeted by the Uniworld Guides ..... and were told the Boat was not ready -- and that we would be staying in the Ritz Carlton Hotel near Red Square for three nights in Moscow. ( really nice hotel and great location ) all the scheduled tours of Moscow were conducted from the hotel...... Everything was still a bit confusing and the Uniword People tried their best, but it was still very confusing where to be - and when.

Moscow is very busy, and very crowded...... but with wonderful History.

The (5/23) Monday morning trip to the River Victoria was a very confusing process.... and the trip took much longer than necessary due to the confusion of moving 176 people and all the luggage from the Ritz to the Boat. Once we arrived on the Victoria Boat, things were equally confusing as there was no system of getting the luggage to the right rooms. We were in the cabin over two hours before the luggage arrived.

The cabin (?) was very small - and the beds took up 80 % of the floor space leaving about 1 foot to walk around near the wall - across the room from the door. Upon opening the closet door to put some things into the shelves, the entire door fell off the hinges and hit my wife in the side of the head. Fortunately she was not seriously injured, and most shocked... The Boat Doctor came as did the "hotel manager" --- (and, a crew member fixed the door). Ice was applied to her head, and everything calmed down.... A complementary massage was given to her as a result.

The Victoria left the dock in the early afternoon, and we toured the Boat.... The "Boat" has just been 100 % redone inside - and looked brand new - except for the areas outside of the "public areas" (Old Russia Boat).

The trip up river was wonderful, and we enjoyed the stops along the way. The meals were "so - so", and the daily tours OK - except the Guides were all local - and very difficult to understand as their English was very poor.

All in all, - We are glad we went, but would not do it again..... and probably will not do a Riverboat Cruise again, as the cabins just to small - too little to do on board, and the tours were very rushed, with very little free time for any shopping and general personal looking around.

I hope that any of you going on the Russia Riverboat Cruise have a much better experience than we did, and enjoy your trip. The Russia by Riverboat book was helpful, and informative along the way.... We are Very Happy to have gone, and Happy to be HOME !!!!! - Next trip on The Magic ......................Seabee :)

We exchanged $ 500 worth of Rubles prior to our trip, at a rate of 27 to 1 - however every place we went we were able to spend either dollars or Rubles... in fact we just got rid of our last bit of Rubles on the Boat the night before we left clearing our bill on board room charges....

Wow, can't believe you were able to post a message right after returning home. I'm usually "out of it" for a week!! Sorry you had difficulties with the ship not being ready, BUT staying at the Ritz Carlton and touring from there must have been really nice. Glad you enjoyed the sightseeing!

We are going on AMA in September and now I am really looking forward to hearing from Kellie Poodle about her cruise on AMA this month.

Get some sleep.

Sheila

Hello Seebee, hope all the kinks are worked out by the 13th for our trip. Are there any of the optional excursions that you would suggest we not miss or maybe avoid?

We really loved seeing the sights, and the history....... Moscow was very exciting. (Red Square, and the St Basil was unbelievable)

The optional tours were all good , and affordable - so we paid for each one offered daily. The main ( included) tours were good, except very rushed and the guides did not speak or understand English very well. Traffic in Moscow and St Petersburg caused us to rush through the tours.

The fact that all the Riverboats are owned by Russia - and are only leased to the Tour Companies, makes it seem like they are all the same - ( Viking, Uniworld, others). - and each port we were all tied next to each other. :)

Egypt was that way years ago. I had ship envy when we walked thru some and saw how nice they were. I am sure no matter what goes on cruzingrama, here group and I will have a very good time. Thank you for you updates now all i have to do is decide to bring dress cloths or not. I'm a shorts kind of guy but sounds like weather and style wise there pants may be best.

Egypt was that way years ago. I had ship envy when we walked thru some and saw how nice they were. I am sure no matter what goes on cruzingrama, here group and I will have a very good time. Thank you for you updates now all i have to do is decide to bring dress cloths or not. I'm a shorts kind of guy but sounds like weather and style wise there pants may be best.

The Riverboats are pretty much the same on the outside they all lok the same - white with blue trim - except the Viking Boats seemed larger, and had lots of "wood" in the Lobby we had to walk through to get to our Boat - which was more like a Motel 6 Lobby...... nice carpet, but very bland otherwise.

Seabee

Thanks for the report, especially about the money. I think we will just get a couple of hundred dollars for rubles when we get there and make sure we have lots of small american dollars as I'm sure there is rubles in return when you pay in $$.

I'm sorry that things were all messed up for you. It always seems that the 'first' of things have the most go wrong. I'm sure the English of the guides won't improve that much in just a couple of weeks. I don't plan to spend that much time in my room so I'm sure we'll get by. I hope the bathrooms are at least complete.

This is still Russia, and not the Ritz. I am impressed that Uniworld put you up at the Ritz. That would be great, I would think, for doing the tours in the city. We are planning to do all the 'extra' tours too.

Thanks again for the tips. If you remember anything else I will be checking back before we leave a week from Sun. Get some rest.

Lynette

ps--see you on board Mark

Archived