Seattle Airport to pier, how far is it?

Bebet

How long does it take to get from the airport to the ship? Anyone know of close hotels to the ship. We are flying in a day early and need a place to stay. I also need to know how much time I need to get back to the airport when the cruise is over.

Thanks.

I haven't cruised out of Seattle before, but I do live nearby, so I might be able to answer some of your questions. I don't know the exact distance to the cruise pier from Sea-Tac (it appears the pier Princess embarks at is a bit outside of the main Downtown area) but it's roughly 15 miles from Sea-Tac to downtown Seattle, which can be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. I would plan on at least an hour to get to the airport on disembarkation, but it probably won't take quite that long on a Saturday or Sunday. If you stay in the middle of Downtown you'll be a mile or two from the dock, or you might be able to find a place in Belltown or at the base of Queen Anne Hill that's a bit closer, but probably not quite as nice. Either way, you should be relatively close to Pike Place and the other tourist stuff in Seattle if you're so inclined.

Stay downtown if you can and be sure to visit Pike Place Market. Neat place. Will visit for second time in July and will buy some of those beautiful flowers to take on board, which I can on Princess, for our cruise. Had some delicious cherries last time while overlooking the bay. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and looking forward to returning.

I agree that you have to stay Downtown..within walking distance if Pikes Market... We stayed at the Westin..and it was about a 5-7 minute cab ride to the Pier... I was on Celebrity..but there is not a huge distance between the different piers..

Sea Tac was about 30 mins...we took a shuttle bus from the airport to the Hotels...much less expensive than a cab...and very efficient..you can get tix before or at the airport. We did transportation through the cruise line, because we used the on board baggage check service.. Seattle is a beatiful town, esp in the summer...enjoy it and your cruise... I loved Alaska and cannot wait to go back.....

Thanks for the information. How far is the space needle from the Pike market? By dd wants to go there'd.

If you use a online map program like Bing (http://www.bing.com/maps) you can get distance & time for travel between locations via driving, transit or walking. I've used it to plan our long port of call on our next cruise to decide whether to walk, take a bus or take a cab.

Between the Space Needle & Pike's it's 1.2 miles & 22 minutes to walk; 15 minutes via bus.

The drive between SEATAC & Pier 91 is like the other poster said, 30 minutes & about 17 miles.

Between the Space Needle & Pier 91 it shows a 10 minute, 2.7 mile drive, 15 minutes by bus or 2.6 miles & a 49 minute walk.

Probably more than you wanted to receive but it's very easy to get this info on sites like Bing Maps...good luck! :)

Between the Space Needle & Pike's it's 1.2 miles & 22 minutes to walk; 15 minutes via bus.

Between the Space Needle & Pier 91 it shows a 10 minute, 2.7 mile drive, 15 minutes by bus or 2.6 miles & a 49 minute walk.

Please be aware that Seattle is almost as hilly as San Francisco. I live 3 hrs away, but we go to Seattle several times a year. I would not walk either one of these, but that's just my opinion.

Please be aware that Seattle is almost as hilly as San Francisco. I live 3 hrs away, but we go to Seattle several times a year. I would not walk either one of these, but that's just my opinion.

That's a VERY IMPORTANT consideration...thanks for letting us know about those hills! :D

If it wouldn't be too personal, would age or health affect the decision whether to walk around Seattle? I walk on my treadmill most days for an hour but I know very well that isn't the same thing as hoofing it on hills. We generally walk a lot in port but that's mostly level ground.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the information. How far is the space needle from the Pike market? By dd wants to go there'd.

From the Downtown hotels to the Space Needle is about 8-9 blocks (no significant hills that way though, but it's through Belltown, which has been a bit of a trouble spot lately in terms of crime.) You also have the option of taking the Seattle Center Monorail from Westlake Center (a mall a couple of blocks east of Pike Place) to Seattle Center, which is where the Space Needle is located. It's a couple of bucks per person each way, but it's a lot quicker, and the Monorail is kind of interesting to ride at least once too. Really, most of downtown can be walked without too many hills to worry about, and there's also a bus tunnel (free to ride the buses between the downtown stops) that'll get you to places like Pioneer Square or the International District, so that'll save some walking too.

That's a VERY IMPORTANT consideration...thanks for letting us know about those hills! :D

If it wouldn't be too personal, would age or health affect the decision whether to walk around Seattle? I walk on my treadmill most days for an hour but I know very well that isn't the same thing as hoofing it on hills. We generally walk a lot in port but that's mostly level ground.

Thanks again.

Yes, absolutely. Many of our downtown hills are 14-16% grade (not sure you can even go to that grade on anything but a commercial training treadmill). These are more like "mini-mountains" than molehills. :D

We stayed at the Westin also, liked it very much. Easy 5-10 minute stroll to Pike Place Market, the monorail was one block away to go to Space Needle. Pike & Western Wine shop at Pike Place Market great place to purchase wine to take on ship!

most of downtown is level to do a lot of walking. The waterfront, downtown to market from most hotels is level and is the walk to the space needle. The hills are east to west walking from waterfront to downtown as an example. If you go to tripadvisor.com seattle forum there is much info as to where to stay and one day itinerary without a car. Its in an easier format than this thread..

Thanks again.

Absolutely! If you walk a treadmill and are used to a lot of walking you could do it. I'm just thinking in terms of the "average" cruiser (especially to Alaska) being a bit older and might not tolerate a hilly walk.

Seattle has the monorail from the Space Needle to downtown, and you can walk a few blocks DOWNhill from there to Pike St. Mkt., and more DOWNhill to the waterfront shopping area. Also, there's a trolley that runs all along the waterfront.

Absolutely! If you walk a treadmill and are used to a lot of walking you could do it. I'm just thinking in terms of the "average" cruiser (especially to Alaska) being a bit older and might not tolerate a hilly walk.

Seattle has the monorail from the Space Needle to downtown, and you can walk a few blocks DOWNhill from there to Pike St. Mkt., and more DOWNhill to the waterfront shopping area. Also, there's a trolley that runs all along the waterfront.

I don't think they're using an actual trolley anymore, but they do have a bus that follows the same route (and will take you back to the International District station of the Bus Tunnel, from which you can get back to the hotels.) You'll want to look at the schedule though, it doesn't seem like it runs all that often.

I don't think they're using an actual trolley anymore, but they do have a bus that follows the same route (and will take you back to the International District station of the Bus Tunnel, from which you can get back to the hotels.) You'll want to look at the schedule though, it doesn't seem like it runs all that often.

Oh, the one on the track that went along the waterfront isn't there anymore?

Oh, the one on the track that went along the waterfront isn't there anymore?

The track is still there, but I haven't seen an actual trolley there in quite some time. They have a specially designated bus that appears to be acting as a replacement for the trolley, providing service to the same locations for free.

The track is still there, but I haven't seen an actual trolley there in quite some time. They have a specially designated bus that appears to be acting as a replacement for the trolley, providing service to the same locations for free.
There are no plans to restore the streetcar (rail) service. Since it was only a single track, it badly limited the tram's frequency. Plus budget cuts did their usual thing.

My guess it will be restored (and probably double-tracked) sometime following the demolition of the Alaskan Way Viaduct, the elevated freeway that currently separates the waterfront from downtown. That's planned for completion in 2015-2016 but nobody's holding their breath.

I was thinking the same thing! It is very easy and cheap to get between downtown and airport on the light rail. On our trip someone was at the Doubletree and another at the Fairmont and they walked to the light rail station very quickly. Another stayed at the Marriott Waterfront and took the light rail and then a cab the rest of the way. My cousin did light rail to monorail for the Quality Inn and Suites on John. Another got a great rate by the airport and used the light rail daily to go down town.

As for the hills, they are there everywhere. If you are reasonably in shape you should be fine. We had a couple in our group who are not the most in shape and they did OK but we took it slow. Cabs are cheap because most places you will go are close together so a couple of times we did that because someone hurt their leg.

There is a free bus zone so we used that some. There are some "interesting" people on the bus in the free zone so be prepared.

To get to the Space Needle I would take the monorail, it is fun. I also realized there were usually no "interesting" people in the monorail because it is $2 and not free.

At night especially there can be some issues, we noticed a change as soon as it got dark. In the Pioneer Square area and down by the waterfront we were confronted by some aggressive people who seemed to be homeless. I felt much safer walking from the Space Needle area to the Quality Inn on John than in those two areas.

Jen in SoCal

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the light rail that runs directly from Sea-Tac airport to downtown....it takes one to within about three blocks of the market and many hotels.......

• 2 weeks later...

My guess it will be restored (and probably double-tracked) sometime following the demolition of the Alaskan Way Viaduct, the elevated freeway that currently separates the waterfront from downtown. That's planned for completion in 2015-2016 but nobody's holding their breath.

Oh good! I hate that Alaskan Way Viaduct. Got on it once by mistake and had to go MILES before I could get off!!! :eek:

FWIW, sea tac to pier 91 in 30 minutes sounds optimistic to me. In light traffic perhaps, could also work out to be twice as long (or more).

30 minutes is very realistic unless you take I-5 or the first ave south bridge goes up.

Interesting. Are you taking the viaduct instead of I-5? I used to drive to tukwila routinely from just slightly north of magnolia. I'd never allow just 30 minutes to make it. Especially if you hit boeing traffic / shift change around 4pm. Of course that was several years ago. Maybe traffic is lighter now with the economy the way it is.

Interesting. Are you taking the viaduct instead of I-5? I used to drive to tukwila routinely from just slightly north of magnolia. I'd never allow just 30 minutes to make it. Especially if you hit boeing traffic / shift change around 4pm. Of course that was several years ago. Maybe traffic is lighter now with the economy the way it is.
Most cruise pax traveling from T91 to the airport will be doing so on a weekend morning, generally in the 7 - 10 AM time frame.

Archived