Do Cruise Line Shore Excursions Take us to The Best Places?

BORDER REIVER

We've been on a few cruises now and have done official excursions every possible day. We have enjoyed each and every place we've been to, except for the coach experience, but I was wondering if the places the cruise companies take us to, represent the best things on offer in those countries. Last week, just out of interest, I was looking at a few cruises (aimed mostly at the American market) around the British Isles just to see what was on offer, excursion-wise, I thought "my goodness, is that the best the UK can offer!" These islands have some of the most beautiful scenery imagineable and so many places of real interest, yet cruisers are being offered trips to shopping malls, shortbread factories, cheese farms, whisky distilleries and other tourist honeypots. When we cruise, do we get to see the best that's on offer in the countries we visit? As I said, I've never been disappointed, but it's got me wondering.

I think that the cruise lines will naturally assume that people want to go to those popular tourist areas. While it may seem weird to us Brits to visit a cheese farm, it may be what Americans want to see when they come here. I think also the fact that the ship only spend one day in port, and so that heavily limits the amount you can explore.

I suppose it fits into the typical "tourist image" of the country being visited. For example, people visiting Dublin will usually end up in the Guinness brewery or Trinity College and go shopping on Grafton Street. There's plenty of historical and cultural treasures around Dublin but they're rarely part of a one day excursion.

I suppose it depends on the port visited.

We went to Naples port a few years ago and done our own thing. Are we glad we never done the ships tour.

We were abe to spend as much time (or as little) at each place we visited. We were able to go down the Amalfi drive (you don't want to go down there in a coach!). When we were in Sorrento for lunch we got taken to a fantastic little restaurant. When the coach tour went to Sorrento they obviousy had the leather shop first complete with hard sell and then herded in to an average restaurant for an avergae meal (I am informed).

But to be fair, I can give other examples in the Caribbean where we are so glad we did not go it alone.

The keys to getting it right are....

1) Research

2) Research

3) Research

And let's face it, research is half the fun and makes you better prepared for a visit to any country.

Cheers

Gerry

We always do our own thing wherever possible. So much nicer and if you do use a local tour operator, it's usually in a bus with only about 6 others. We used Viator in Istanbul and had a much better time than being with 40 people on a bus. In St Lucia, CosolTours was marvellous. Everywhere else we DIY - it's such fun researching it first on the web.

We are on Arcadia to US & Canada and not doing one Ship tour.

I believe that the best way to see things is either by local taxi, having negotiated the price or on a Hop On Hop Off bus, you can do these all at your own preferred pace. The Cruise Line tours are over priced and you are governed by the whim of the tour leader or coach driver. I find that you spend a lot of time in places where you only need a short time and of course, a short time in an interesting place. Plus you have to visit the driver's brother's jewellery shop where a special discount has been nogotiated.

We've never taken a ship's tour but many people really enjoy them. I always wonder if they have to avoid some exciting things due to health and safety. On St. Vincent, we walked on a rickety, broken boardwalk to get the 2 minute water taxi across to Young Island. No way would P&O have allowed tour passengers to use that dangerous boardwalk.

We have only ever done 2 ships excursions and both were good but expensive and they were on our first cruise.

Now we research the ports before we go and either hire a local taxi or catch the HoHo bus or simply walk.

We have also considered hiring a car for a day, particularly where we know the area, but haven't tried that yet.

We;ve done a couple of ship tours. One to the Pyramids which is difficult on your own and another to Taormina and Etna. The latter was really good. We used a private company in Alexandria and enjoyed it more than the Pyramids!!

Hi - we do our research and always do our own thing - in the Caribbean you can get a return bus trip to a beautiful beach for about $2 each. The locals are great fun and we have never felt in danger. We have done that in both Antiqua and Grenada, St Lucia you can walk to a beautiful beach in 15 mins. In Tortola we took a mini bus and again for $5 return was taken to the other side of the Island. the guy left us there and came back for us smack on time.......Its far better fun and a lot cheaper

Archived