Elation - 5 Night to Cozumel/Calica

hawaiibound24

We are sailing on the Elation on Feb. 7th. In the past in Cozumel we have rented a car. Which terminal will the ship dock in Cozumel? Which rental companies are at that location? Also, in Calica, how far is the port to the beaches/shopping? What is the best/cheapest way to get there? Is there nothing to see at the actual dock?

Do be aware its a crime, yep a crime if you are in a accident in Mexico. Someone from one of my cruises rented a car, and got bumped from behind (a set up probably) and they were not released from jail until the wife came up with $800 in cash.

I just was in Cozumel a few weeks ago and someone rented one of those scooters .. and as they were taking off, wobbled right into a van .. ruined her day I bet.

If you rent .. take out full coverage. Do not say oh, no biggie .. in Mexico its a huge biggie.

You usually dock about 3 miles from downtown in Cozumel.

Im on Elation Feb 12th, and we are no longer going to Calica.. I know its described as a sand pit .. but I still wanted to see it.

I did this same cruise in Nov/Dec 2010. In Calica, there will be cabs for hire and it is several miles from where you dock to get to Playa del Carmen. (Calica is not a city, but a company that allows Carnival the use of their dock)

Here is a link to my review with pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1318588&highlight=

When you dock at Calica, there really is nothing to see. Get a cab to Playa Del Carmen, 5th Avenue. Really neat European-style area with tons of shopping. Just walk til the street ends at the beach. BEAUTIFUL white sand beaches with the prettiest light turquoise water. There are hotels and beach bars along the beach---just stop when you like what you see. It's a fun, relaxing day. We had big waves to play in in crystal clear water! Just lovely. Watch that sun though. It was overcast the day we were there and even though I kept reapplying sunscreen to my boys, my youngest got badly burned.

Have fun! I'll be there in 3 weeks!!! :D

Do be aware its a crime, yep a crime if you are in a accident in Mexico. Someone from one of my cruises rented a car, and got bumped from behind (a set up probably) and they were not released from jail until the wife came up with $800 in cash.

I just was in Cozumel a few weeks ago and someone rented one of those scooters .. and as they were taking off, wobbled right into a van .. ruined her day I bet.

If you rent .. take out full coverage. Do not say oh, no biggie .. in Mexico its a huge biggie.

You usually dock about 3 miles from downtown in Cozumel.

Im on Elation Feb 12th, and we are no longer going to Calica.. I know its described as a sand pit .. but I still wanted to see it.

Fire

Why no Calica?:eek: I was fun to visit but I like Progresso better.

I would be afraid to rent a car. Puerto Maya is the Carnival dock for Coz.

We are sailing on the Elation on Feb. 7th. In the past in Cozumel we have rented a car. Which terminal will the ship dock in Cozumel? Which rental companies are at that location? Also, in Calica, how far is the port to the beaches/shopping? What is the best/cheapest way to get there? Is there nothing to see at the actual dock?

I would recommend utilizing the cabs in Cozumel, because of the issues mentioned already. You may pay more if you're visiting several spots, but it's much safer that way. I'm seeing that there will be 7 ships in port the day you're there:eek:, and potentially over 18,000 cruise guests:eek::eek:. With 3 Carnival ships in port, I'm guessing the Elation will be docking at the International pier (the middle one).

There's nothing to see at the port of Calica itself, but I will definitely praise that port because of it's central location. There are so many great excursions that can be taken from that spot, some of which would be very difficult if not impossible to do from Cozumel or Progresso. Playa del Carmen is easy and quick to get to by cab, and the drivers are used to making that drive. It's a beautiful place! And there is definitely great beaches and probably great shopping there.

Also if you do rent a car go for a car that locals have. Look around when you get there and you will see what I mean. We flew into cancun and drove around mexico for a week. It was the week before the swine flu hit the news. We did not care for our rental car ( we are kinda car snobs) but it blended well so we didn't stick out on the roads.

Archived